Your choice

mangorockfish

Reaction score
OK, heres the deal:You are being shipped off to a deserted island for a year. You may take any uke of your choice. One you already have or you may snap your fingers and whatever you want will appear. The only catch is you have to be able to pay for it when it appears with cash, check or debit card. No easy pay plan. No one knows anybody's financial situation here, so be honest about paying for it. You may string it with whatever you want and take three sets of strings of your choice with you. I'll go first. I have a Mainland mahogany gloss concert and tenor. I would take the concert strung with Aquillas , an extra set of Aquillas, as I know what they sound like and a set of Worth clears and a set of browns, as I don't know what they sound like

Ooh, yay, deserted island games!

Even though I love my sopranino ridiculously (and I'm used to playing it so much that I've nearly forgotten how to make everything work on any of my other stringed instruments), I'd probably want to have a plastic Carnival sopranino/small-body soprano with me. Turns out I really like plastic ukes as rugged alternatives. Although the prices could vary at this point in time (you know, being a vintage instrument and all that), I might be able to spring for one with cash (I wish I could even find one of these for sale now).

Anyway, I'd grab two sets of hard tension Blacklines and try out some Worth browns.

I would take my Applause koa tenor. Strung w/ aquilas, two sets of Daddario ProArtes, and another set of Aquilas.

Is there electricity on that deserted island?? My Kamaka soprano has a pickup. I'd bring that, 3 sets of Aquilas, and an amp. And have a great time being as loud as I wanted without bothering the neighbors!

Probably an Oscar Schmidt Koa cutaway baritone;
http://www.oscarschmidt.com/products/ukes/ou55ce.asp

-It looks cool :)
-It sounds good
-Cutaway shape
-I can have both GCEA and DGBE sets of strings. Probably Aquilas for GCEA, and D'addario for DGBE
-Laminate wood - on a deserted island, we do not know what the humidity or climate will be like.
If your solid uke cracks or warps.. that's it for you, unfortunately :(

Is there electricity on that deserted island?? My Kamaka soprano has a pickup. I'd bring that, 3 sets of Aquilas, and an amp. And have a great time being as loud as I wanted without bothering the neighbors!

Sure, you can make batteries out of coconuts, and build a bambo bicycle powered generator. Haven't you ever watched Giligan's Island?

You'll have to tie a few strings on her to pass her off as a ukulele.

I'm taking a tenor-neck Fluke and 3 packs of Aquilas, because the Fluke is impervious to the weather and can also be used as a hammer, a hatchet and a weapon. Without going out of tune.

My pineapple concert Flea, with two sets of Aquila high Gs and one set of Fremont low-Gs.

My Larrivee spruce top soprano strung with low G in Aquillas. I'd bring 2 extra sets of the low G Aquillas, and a set of re-entrant Worth Clears just to try 'em out. I wouldn't want the low G Worth's because I don't want to mess with the nut on my uke.

Can't we have one uke strung with low G and one uke strung re-entrant, please?

If I can have a re-entrant uke too, I'd choose my Larrivee koa uke strung in Aquillas, with extra sets of Aquillas...

I'd have my ukes in those zippered foam hardshell cases along with a Herco clay humidifier and an Oasis humidity gauge.

I just really like my Larrivee sopranos...

Does Pamela Anderson get to share my island with me?

I fear that she would be more fragile than a solid wood uke on this island, sure a solid wood uke could crack, but Pam's face and boobs could melt! Then you would be stuck for a year on an island with the elephants mans less attractive daughter.

Top Bottom