Cairns Uke Festival Building Course

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Some of you might be interested is having a look at some of the work that is happening at the Cairns and District Woodworkers Guild the week leading up to the Cairns Ukulele Festival.

I've been given the opportunity to assist Rick Turner in one of his courses. Students are building a pineapple soprano out of Kaya and Western Red Cedar. 14 students from all over Australia, and New Zealand.

We're all having a blast, and they are going to be walking away with a really fabulous instrument that is going to look and sound great.

I've been posting daily updates to the Australian / New Zealand Luthiers Forum, so the link will take you there.

Some of you might be interested is having a look at some of the work that is happening at the Cairns and District Woodworkers Guild the week leading up to the Cairns Ukulele Festival.

I've been given the opportunity to assist Rick Turner in one of his courses. Students are building a pineapple soprano out of Kaya and Western Red Cedar. 14 students from all over Australia, and New Zealand.

We're all having a blast, and they are going to be walking away with a really fabulous instrument that is going to look and sound great.

I've been posting daily updates to the Australian / New Zealand Luthiers Forum, so the link will take you there.
Aloha Allen,
Thanks for sharing the pic's of the ukulele class, everyone looks like they're having a wonderful time.
I gotta say it's a nice workshop, and the pineapple ukulele like it will turn out a winner! Can't wait
for the updated pic's.. until next time!! cheers mate!!!! MM Stan...

It's a lot of work keeping an eye on this many students. All wanting to keep up, but a little unsure of themselves, so we're jumping around the room trying to help everyone. It's easy to forget to be taking pictures and missing some great moments.

Aloha Allen Again,
Thanks again for the pic's, process, and great tips... it was awesome!!!!
It was a wonderfull project, and don't forget us on the next one!!!! MM Stan..

3 1/2 days and the strings went on. The class was totally fabulous, and I was just blown away at the creativity and vision that everyone had with the design elements that they could do with as they pleased.

Every instrument was completed, with only a few minor disasters that we fixed up in stride. I've yet to upload the latest photos to the ANZLF but will do so tomorrow morning. Been a really long day today. And then I have to finish prepping wood for a class next week for 14 high-school students. I'll try and take a lot of photos of that class as well and do something similar as I did for this thread.

Top Bottom