Tanglewood Soprano

Pinebaron

Reaction score
I was at Ukerepublic last night looking at Tenor Ukes. While I was there I asked about some cheap sopranos as I am taking a trip and wanted a travel uke. Mike showed me this little Tanglewood soprano (68 bucks with a nice gig bag). I wasn't expecting much but boy was I surprised. First, this thing is like my old Army Drill Sargent; small, LOUD, and CLEAR. I was amazed at the toneality of the thing. Now Mike said he put different strings on it (I think they were Fremont Black Med). Fit and finish is excellent as well as the playability. I never thought a cheap uke from England would sound this good. I played it 10 seconds and fell in love. I'm not a very good soprano player (or a uke player for that matter) but this instrument seems to make it easier. Its going to be a joy to learn how to play a soprano rather than a chore. I somehow manage to get my pudgy fingers inside those little frets. I'm not one for naming ukes but this will be called Starns (after Drill Sargent Starns).

The Pinebaron can plays some Jazz and Blues now. He got the first Tanglewood uke officially for sale in North America. They have been popular in the UK and Ireland for a while but have just now made it here. Inexpensive without messing with playability. I should have a steady supply in September that will feature a cut away electric, solid spruce top with Bubinga back and sides and the Mahogany matte that was featured.
attachment.php

Oh great, now another thing for me to want to experience that can be purchased on a whim!
Interesting!

Update. I'm on a bit of a walk about as it were with my Tanglewood Soprano in tow. So far we have traveled about 600 miles with over 2,000 feet of elevation changes and 40 degree temp changes. The uke rode in the back of my station wagon under the privacy cover to avoid direct sunlight on the gig bag. Took Starns out last night before bed and he was still in tune, loud and clear. I had to strum lightly for fear of waking the neighbors. I may have to try gigging with this thing. Starns will rest in the motel for the next day or two as I get some things done and then we will be off on another adventure.

Here is another update on my travel uke. So far it has spent four days traveling over 1200 miles in a car. I have it in a station wagon with a privacy cover over the back end where I keep it stored. It has been left for several hours in the car and the car warming up quite a bit (it was around 90 degrees F the past couple of days. Every evening When I check into a motel after I unpack take the uke out of its gigbag, tune it up and play it for a while. So far all is well with no signs of warping or changes to the action. It is still loud and clear. I have to lightly strum it in the motel room it is so loud. Anyhow if you are looking for a good knock-around uke or just a nice soprano I would look hard at these. Right now I now that Ukerepublic has them.

Top Bottom