Great Uke Moment

Waterguy

UU+
Reaction score
After about 3 hours of work today I had a bit of a Ferris Bueller type epiphany. The day was just way to nice to be spending at work so I cashed in 1/2 a vacation day.

I took my family to a local outdoor hotdog and clam joint for lunch and then we hit the beach for a few hours. I brought my uke along and I was working on some of the stuff that has been giving me problems. At one point during my outdoor practice session my youngest came over to me and asked me to play and sing White Sandy Beach. Now right off the bat I will admit that getting a request from one of my kids is a pretty cool uke moment. What really made this moment stand out was the applause from someone sitting 40 feet away from us when I finished. I had honestly been trying to keep it quiet so I would not bother the other beach goers.

Really made my day.

So, since I'm still kind of buzzing over the moment I thought it might be kind of fun to ask all of you about your great uke moments

At one point during my outdoor practice session my youngest came over to me and asked me to play and sing White Sandy Beach. Now right off the bat I will admit that getting a request from one of my kids is a pretty cool uke moment. What really made this moment stand out was the applause from someone sitting 40 feet away from us when I finished. I had honestly been trying to keep it quiet so I would not bother the other beach goers.
How neat to have your kid requesting a song! But getting applause from a bystander was even neater.

It wasn't a uke moment, but some years ago while living in Hollywood and practicing flute with the window open, when I stopped, someone yelled, "Bravo! Play some more!"

Really made my day. It also made me very conscious of the fact that I sucked on tenor sax, which is a much louder instrument, and I'd rather not inflict that on unwilling neighbors.

At least uke and classical guitar are relatively quiet and I'm pretty sure I'm not disturbing anyone when I play softly with the windows closed even late at night. My husband can sleep thru it in the next room and we don't even have a solid bedroom door, just a louvered one.

When I lived in La Honda, CA I used to take my uke down to the beach and play to the sunset. The waves made it tough to hear, so I found a nice little eroded cave in the bluff that helped with the sound. It was a stones throw from the water but many folks strolled by without notice. Granted, this lasted all summer and wasn't one particular moment. But time is relative, and sometimes if I close my eyes I can still hear the ocean as I strum.

Top Bottom