Why do I have to always explain....?

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am no stranger to weird looks. Being a 6'5" tall, 600 lb man, I get looks all the time, and it really doesn't bother me. Just part of being a novelty I reckon. But I get more tired of having to explain this. I will notice someone veer from gauking at my "stature", and end up with a confused stare at my right hand with a befuddled, or judging expression. "No, it's not a "coke" spoon. It's a freaking Ukulele pick...". When I pick, my pinky finger just doesn't strike the string as strong, and there is a very noticeable muted note when I picked with my pinky. I needed help, so since I do have thick, strong nails, simply grow my own pinky pick and it remedies that muted pinky note. I keep it groomed and shaped like a pick and it works great. But, I always seem to have to explain it...

36957_140505439298588_100000173975723_418222_2779776_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Todorp

The problem seems to be that your nail is too plain and visible. You should go to either extreme:

(Hide it) Paint it gray or camo colors so the nail will not be too visible (but that's boring)

(Scream) Paint it gold or purple or green fluorescent. Add a Hello Kitty sticker to emphasize (that you're crazy and nobody should be talking to you)

Cheers
Chief

Pain an F and a U on the nail with glow in the dark nail polish...

Maybe if I paint it orange, and with this graphic..

36957_140505442631921_100000173975723_418223_7361367_n.jpg

Or you could do the Dr. Evil thing...

I do like the idea of the Dunlop logo though...you need an itty bitty paint brush.

I've grown out my thumb nail and the nails on my index finger and pinky of my strumming hand (right).

I tend to do rolls when I strum and my rolls involve my index and pinky fingers. The middle and ring fingers
tend to just tuck themselves out of the way.

When picking I generally use my thumb for the G and C strings and the index finger for the E and A strings.

Perhaps you could grow out several of your other fingernails and really throw starers off!

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom