PDA

View Full Version : Crazy good day today - got a Free Kamaka!

Mouthy1
07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
So over the last week, I have been talking to one of the Admin. Assistants at work. I told her I play the Uke and she laughed and I bought one when I lived in Hawaii 40 years ago. I asked what it was and she said it started with a K. I said "Kamaka" and she said "yes". Wow, that is what I am looking for. She said she has had it in her closet for 40 years now. Same strings, only played the first day she bought it and never again by anyone. I told her I had to see and she brought it to work today.....Very cool but the best part.....She said "you can have it"!

Holy Sxxt!!! She just gave it to me. She said she bought it around 1968. Has gold label and original string. Wow, it is flippin awesome. It is in great shape and no splits, cracks, or anything but some closet dings. If anyone can top that, please try. This goes along with the rest of my week where I thought to myself, hey, bad economy, people at work getting laid off, I work for a going out of business State....great time to demand a raise. Damn, I am getting a raise and maybe a big one. I guess I should buy some lottery tickets today.

I will gone for about 5 days and wont have internet but I am excited to see if anyone can beat my week~! I will get some photos maybe when I get back but it so dxmn hard to post them on here. Wahoo...great day/week.

Melissa82
07-01-2010, 06:57 PM
That is awesome! Keep that uke well hydrated! Get a humidifier for it or something if you live in a dry climate.

cletus
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Hell, yeah. I love stories like these!

mm stan
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Aloha,
Congrats on the score, guess I know what you'll be doing on your free time now.....HMMMMMM
I'm sooo jealous, can't say that anything happened that good in my life!!!! I guess you owe your
friend big time eh!!!! Maybe write a song, and play it to her would be good for starters.....
I can't wait to see your score....Take Care and enjoy......MM Stan.
P.S. Thanks for sharing the nice story with us!!!

RyanMFT
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
How great is this, I am glad that Kamaka is now with you!

StereoJoker
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
How great is this, I am glad that Kamaka is now with you!

Yeah, it wasn't doing anybody any good in that closet for the past forty years.

Congrats! Make Sam Kamaka proud and play your heart out! :)

happyslappysoong
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
need pics.

Mouthy1
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Well thanks everyone for the congrat's. I am pretty lucky and I am down to 14 ukes now so that free's up some time for me to play the Kamaka. I will tell you, it "sounds" so Hawaiian. Not like any of my others. I think I will get her a dinner out for her and her husband. I will play the heck out of it but despite the suggestions for me to write a song for her, no one wants that. I just play all the time, that don't mean anyone wants to hear it!

ukulelearp
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Makes all my "good days" look pretty lame in comparison :D

Congrats.

Mouthy1
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
You are right, I will NOT complain about today.

kissing
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Please excuse my coarse language, but you lucky basterd!

P-co
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Nice work Mouthy1, I can't top that but will be trying my hardest to. I have come across a few old surfboards like that but no such luck with a uke, couldn't imagine there are too many floating around this part of the world but you never know.

Kanaka916
07-02-2010, 04:37 AM
I just had to do this . . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/withoutpics.gif

NatalieS
07-02-2010, 05:04 AM
Wow, that story is the stuff dreams are made of. No kidding, I've had dreams about finding some mint vintage uke just sitting in a closet somewhere.

Ahem, pictures????

3nails4holes
07-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Well thanks everyone for the congrat's. I am pretty lucky and I am down to 14 ukes now so that free's up some time for me to play the Kamaka.

you really have been royally blessed by your friend's kindness & we are all very happy for you! i just love stories like this! maybe it's common among the mandolin crowd or the taylor guitar afficionados, but i have never heard of it.

i only hear about stuff like that on here. as a matter of fact, my first uke arrived in just the same manner--as a gift out of the blue from a stranger on here!

but along with what mmstan said might i recommend that you "owe your friend big time." there are lots of ways to pay them back, but i recommend that you pay it forward instead.

maybe select 2 or 3 of your ukuleles and do the following:

- keep your ear out for someone on these boards & just donate one to them
- put one in the uu marketplace for the sole purpose of (& tell ppl in the marketplace) donating the proceeds to your friend's favorite church group or charity
- donate one to a local charity or church group that you know will be having some kind of fundraiser or event; maybe they can use it as a prize or raffle it off or whatever
- get a group together in your area of local ukers (or just go solo) to a children's hospital; take the "to donate uke" and your fave uke. play some tunes, then gift that donate uke to some kid who really loved the uke during your visit

okay those aren't all the ideas, but maybe something to get you thinkin'.

and yeah, let's see some pics! :D

thanks for sharing your awesome story!

:shaka:

Ukulele46
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Hey, that's a great day. I guess I can try an give another great day example....about 15 years ago my wife and I won a trip to the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland. The radio station pulled our name out of a huge oil barrel and we only entered once. In addition we got a chance to see Tori Amos when she was first starting out, really cool. So cool things really do happen! Your Kamaka score is great, I keep asking every antique store I go into to see if they have any 'ukuleles just in case I come across that one shop!

Keep it protected and enjoy, I have two Kamaka Tenors and love them both. I call them Pete and Repeat.

Aloha-

Ukulele46

RevWill
07-02-2010, 09:36 AM
One of my graduate school classmates recently friended me on Facebook, and she told me her husband found a Martin soprano from the '70s for $22. Stuff like that NEVER happens to me.

mailman
07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Free Kamaka? Fifteen ukes? I officially hate you. (just kidding) Congratulations on a great story! Of course, it will forever remain just a story until we see pix....

Chris Tarman
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Well thanks everyone for the congrat's. I am pretty lucky and I am down to 14 ukes now so that free's up some time for me to play the Kamaka. I will tell you, it "sounds" so Hawaiian. Not like any of my others. I think I will get her a dinner out for her and her husband. I will play the heck out of it but despite the suggestions for me to write a song for her, no one wants that. I just play all the time, that don't mean anyone wants to hear it!

Yeah, getting a dinner for her and her husband (or taking them out) would be a nice gesture. Oh, and hope she doesn't get curious and google "Kamaka".

Chris Tarman
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
One of my graduate school classmates recently friended me on Facebook, and she told me her husband found a Martin soprano from the '70s for $22. Stuff like that NEVER happens to me.

D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Tarman
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
you really have been royally blessed by your friend's kindness & we are all very happy for you! i just love stories like this! maybe it's common among the mandolin crowd or the taylor guitar afficionados, but i have never heard of it.

i only hear about stuff like that on here. as a matter of fact, my first uke arrived in just the same manner--as a gift out of the blue from a stranger on here!

but along with what mmstan said might i recommend that you "owe your friend big time." there are lots of ways to pay them back, but i recommend that you pay it forward instead.

maybe select 2 or 3 of your ukuleles and do the following:

- keep your ear out for someone on these boards & just donate one to them
- put one in the uu marketplace for the sole purpose of (& tell ppl in the marketplace) donating the proceeds to your friend's favorite church group or charity
- donate one to a local charity or church group that you know will be having some kind of fundraiser or event; maybe they can use it as a prize or raffle it off or whatever
- get a group together in your area of local ukers (or just go solo) to a children's hospital; take the "to donate uke" and your fave uke. play some tunes, then gift that donate uke to some kid who really loved the uke during your visit

okay those aren't all the ideas, but maybe something to get you thinkin'.

and yeah, let's see some pics! :D

thanks for sharing your awesome story!

:shaka:

Those are all good ideas too. And hey, is that Gullah in your signature line?

3nails4holes
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
yeah, i think with the advent of the world wide web & the raised internet consciousness of lots of ppl that sweet deals on old kamakas or martins hidden in some closet, dusty corner of a pawn shop or an estate sale are far, far less common.

but yeah, i still check 'em out & roam craigslist hoping for that hidden & hopefully undervalued treasure!

chris, not gullah. it's from the hawiian pidgin new testament called "da Jesus book."

see: http://www.pidginbible.org/

here's that same verse in more common english:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20cor%2015:3-5&version=NIV

Chris Tarman
07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Ah, ok. I saw you were in North Carolina and knew that Gullah was from around there somewhere, lol.

phanzo
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a very similar day with my Martin. It's a great great feeling. Enjoy it. And get us some ^&%$#@! pictures!!

:D

Harold O.
07-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Anyone can save up and go buy stuff. What makes something more valuable is the story that goes with it. You doubled up in one shot. And now you'll likely be even closer to your friend at work. Everybody wins with this one.

KikonuMedia
07-03-2010, 05:13 PM
The envy hurts so bad... Haha congrats man. Send some pics of it, I'm sure she's beautiful! What did you name him/her?

Pippin
07-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Cool. Enjoy your new uke.

mds725
07-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Yeah, what 3nails said. Congratulations! You not only got a great ukulele, you now can create for someone else the great experience you had getting it by donating one of your ukes to someone who wants one but doesn't have one.

Kaneohe til the end
07-03-2010, 09:21 PM
i probably cant beat a single week, but in general my life kicks some ass. i work at KoAloha, and so far ive gotten a DVI and pineapple sunday free.

GrumpyOldMan
07-03-2010, 10:10 PM
yeah, i think with the advent of the world wide web & the raised internet consciousness of lots of ppl that sweet deals on old kamakas or martins hidden in some closet, dusty corner of a pawn shop or an estate sale are far, far less common.

The internet and ebay has changed everything collectable, things are no longer rare. I used to be really into collecting vintage cycles and I own a beautiful 1936 handbuilt Hobbs (a high end English builder). This used to draw lots of attention from other collectors as it was quite a rare beast. Nowadays they come upon ebay regularly and for about half of the price they would have fetched 20 years ago!
But on the other hand I now have a collection of guitars that I could never have had if it were not for the internet. I collect Orville by Gibsons and without the internet I would probably never even have heard of them let alone built up a (small) collection of them.

Just as and added piece of trivia, the brother of Tim Berners-Lee (the inventor of the internet) works about half a mile up the road from where I live!

Ian.

Pippin
07-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Just as and added piece of trivia, the brother of Tim Berners-Lee (the inventor of the internet) works about half a mile up the road from where I live!

Ian.

You mean it wasn't Al Gore? wink... wink... Yeah, Berners-Lee has never commented about the "Al Gore farce", guess he has too much class for that. I was on the net before the world-wide-web was actually created. In the early years, we used Gopher-sites hyper-linking to various research papers and universities (mostly USA). Gopher was extremely popular and there are still a large number of Gopher-Servers, but, a lot of content is gone. When the WWW was in its infancy, I was editor-in-chief of "Connections Magazine", an e-zine on networking and internet connectivity. We were talking about the future being wireless. We are now beginning to see our vision coming into wide-spread use.

MissJonib
07-04-2010, 04:33 AM
That is so wonderful! I have another friend who had something similar happen to her husband a few years ago. Its' great when things like that get to be shared.
I acquired a similar Kamaka from a friend of my husband's family last year--she got it when she lived in Hawaii as a child. But, it was missing the saddle, bridge, nut and strings! I supppose it had been viewd more as a toy than anything back then. Oh, but this lady made me pay for it. It was hard to tell what would be a fair price, considering it was just a neglected shell of a uke, sitting under a bed for the past 40 years.
The body is good, but I had to contact Kamaka and track down the parts. They new parts are larger, and they didn't have any ca. 1969 parts in the warehouse anymore, so it won't be oringal when it is finished. And, it should be all put back to gether this week!. I'm looking forward to finally giving it the playing time it's been waiting for! (PS Kamaka is a wonderful company to work with)
Enjoy your ukulele! It's moments of goodness like you just experienced that remind us that this really is a nice world to live in!

Mouthy1
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Wow, gone 5 days camping and come back to 4 pages of well wishers...I appreciate it and I know, the dxmn pictures. I will see if I can come up with some this evening after showering for the first time in 5 days. It is funny, someone said that they hope she doesn't look up Kamaka. If she does, and finds out that 40 year old almost untouched Kamaka's are hard to come by, I will give it back to her in a heartbeat. I love getting stuff but I don't want to TAKE stuff. Believe it or not, this kind of stuff happens more regularly than you would think. I win just about raffle I play, it get stuff given to me all the time and get better service than most. I think it is because I treat people well and pay attention. Kind of a deep thought for a uke page I know but I laugh sometimes because this type of stuff happens a bunch. Oh, and by the way, I give a lot too. Enough philosophy, let me shower. I will attempt pictures tonight!!!

Mouthy1
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok, I am showered but then I thought I better not imply that there aren't other good people out there and they don't get the benefits. I know the UU crowd in general is a great group of very nice people doing what they love....me too. Thank you to all of you that appreciated my great week last week. Lets see what happens this week?

KevinV
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Congrats on the free Kamaka...that's a gift to treasure.

mm stan
07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Congrats on the free Kamaka...that's a gift to treasure.

To mention also, the friend that gave you the Kamaka....that's a friend to treasure!!