For collectors of unique ukes...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
It appears to be a weapon from a "Mad Max" movie.

Yeah, it does look "odd".. thats the draw of it for me in most cases. I just have always liked the odd and unusual. That, and I am a huge Mad Max fan.. <grin>

I dunno... calling it a uke seems like a stretch. But for a collector of folk instruments it might be a pretty cool little thing.

Right now the coolest thing I see on Ebay is this matched pair of Wendell Halls .
A TV soprano, and a Teeviola tenor.

Last edited:
yeah, I kinda agree about the calling it a uke thing. I think allot of people are calling things "Ukuleles" on Ebay, because it is becoming the latest "Fad" instrument. Kinda like it was in the 1930s. Their new popularity is a draw for sellers to list things as Ukuleles, even though it isn't. That is most common with Banjos. We talked about that some in another thread a week or so ago. Many sellers trying to sell vintage low end banjos as "Banjo Ukes".

As far as the thing on the link I posted. Im not even sure it is an instrument. Kinda has some aspects, bucket and headskin, strings, what looks like some sort of bridge. I don't see anyway whatsoever to adjust the tension of the strings, and how you would even play two vertical columns of 3 strings, I have no idea. Awkward at best. But, still kinda cool, especially if it is a vintage instrument. But that said, it may very well be something someone dreamed up and made to "appear" as a crude, vintage hand made instrument but to be used as a decor piece..

Anyway, that is why I posted it, to see if there are any vintage instrument collectors that might know what it is exactly..

BTW: after looking at it closer. The strings on it really look like fairly modern twine that has been stained to "appear" old. Might even be a polyester twine..

Last edited:
What the hell is that thing? How would you even play it?

Interesting.

I'm pretty sure that's some kid's elementary school music class assignment: build your own instrument from scraps.

Sure, it looks awful, but how does it sound? I'm thinking leathery, coconutty, with lush twine and stick overtones.

Those strings don't look very promising. I think it's a wall hanger. I would be very surprised if you could get any good sounds from that football soundboard and those thin rope-like strings. Tuning looks pretty iffy too. In the right room, it would be just the right accent for a funky aboriginal decor.
–Lori

It's a flatland tourist special version of an African bow harp. They run about $25 new. The ukulele tag is no doubt to draw hits on something they have no clue about.

Saw this, and just thought it was cool and unique. No idea if it is authentic, or even vintage for that matter, but thought it was kinda cool, and maybe some unique uke collectors might know, and might want to take a look..
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-handmade-coconut-banjo-ukulele-/220630435465?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e994689
Aloha Tudorp,
Thanks for Sharing this unique one to us..BTW, I wonder what Islands he or she was referring to??
I've heard of coconuts ukuleles, but never saw one with a leather skin from the pacific like that one.
It reminds me of someone's project creativity, "Uke Gone Wild" something different for sure...
"Keep strumming them strings" Ukuleles are forever!!! Uke On !!!! MM Stan..
BTW- Do they have coconuts in Africa??

Last edited:
It's a flatland tourist special version of an African bow harp. They run about $25 new. The ukulele tag is no doubt to draw hits on something they have no clue about.

I was thinking it looked African too.

I'd be willing to bet that the body is really a calabash gourd and not a coconut, which is pretty standard for these west African instruments. The strings were traditionally either twisted rawhide or gut. Nowadays players use nylon. The current "serious" players would be playing the hunter's harp for non-hereditary musical families or the kora for griot, or hereditary musician/praise-singer families. BTW, the cowrie shells on the instrument used to be currency in some west African cultiures.
No real uke content, just a music geek commentary.

I'd be willing to bet that the body is really a calabash gourd and not a coconut, which is pretty standard for these west African instruments. The strings were traditionally either twisted rawhide or gut. Nowadays players use nylon. The current "serious" players would be playing the hunter's harp for non-hereditary musical families or the kora for griot, or hereditary musician/praise-singer families. BTW, the cowrie shells on the instrument used to be currency in some west African cultiures.
No real uke content, just a music geek commentary.

Nice. You're almost certainly right about the gourd. I collect pipes, and have a bunch of Edwardian Silver-mounted English Calabash pipes. The gourds were grown in South Africa. As a sort of a historically related item in my pipe collection, I have an antique African Gourd Water Pipe, which is a very similar looking gourd to this. In fact, it was actually the first thing I thought of when I saw this link.

Aloha Darkwater,
That makes more sense, the body made of gourd....thanks
I see you've got a nice collection of ukuleles yourself...
"Keep on strumming them strings" Ukuleles are foreva's..
Until next time, Uke On!! MM Stan....

That instrument has the look of a scaled down kora (W. African 21-string harp/lute). Maybe it was made for the tourist trade.

mmmmmm, not sure if I'd buy a $200 tahitian ukulele from a salesperson whose two previous sales have been a CD manual for fixing accordians and a Roland sound canvas.

Also the thought of that pointy instrument headed toward my nether regions is making me wince!!!

lol.

Top Bottom