ukulele straps

jermlilly

Reaction score
I was thinking about putting a strap on my ukulele and wated to know what kind was the best to put on there. I want the guitar strap type, not the one oldschool classical kind. Whats the best thing to do when trying to do so. Do regular ole guitat straps work or is there a smaller strap specically made for ukuleles? I need help!!

I've been happy with a $6.50 Levy guitar strap.

Any strap should work. If they're too long, I suppose you could make an extra hole.

If you can adjust the length properly, a guitar strap should be fine (guitar straps are much longer than you need). They tend to be wide, since guitars are heavier. Look at mandolin straps for something that is more in scale with the uke. If you don't have a strap button installed yet, make sure that you get someone who knows what they're doing. Don't want to crack the uke!
–Lori

If you can adjust the length properly, a guitar strap should be fine (guitar straps are much longer than you need). They tend to be wide, since guitars are heavier. Look at mandolin straps for something that is more in scale with the uke. If you don't have a strap button installed yet, make sure that you get someone who knows what they're doing. Don't want to crack the uke!
–Lori

And the beautiful Lori did not mention her very own UkeLeash. They work well and require not modification to the ukulele.

And the beautiful Lori did not mention her very own UkeLeash. They work well and require not modification to the ukulele.

Agreed. I love my Ukeleash.

I use the neck(collar) strap. It is very small -- you can carry it in your pocket, and very easy to use. Just put the strap over your neck like a necklace, pull the small hook end down behind and under the body of the uke -- up around it and hook it onto the bottom edge of the sound hole. You can put the strap on and off very easily and fast, and it does not harm the uke at all! Also, it is very discreet -- people may not even realize that you are using a strap. Try it -- I think you'll like it!:cool:

I just got the uke strap from Flea Market Music (Fluke/Flea) and it works great.
I also have a cheap classical guitar strap that hooks under and into the sound hole - also works well but a little more
cumbersome to use than the FMM job.

Also liking the Uke Leash; enough so that I have 3 full leashes and 2 extra headstock straps! :D

Here's the type I like better. It has a velcro spot you can choose to put on the back of your fluke/flea to snug the strap between the soundhole hook, but you don't need to velcro. http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=213 It really is a convenient quick strap. ( I chose the Tiki Print) It would work great with a figure 8 uke.

collar%20in%20use%20jpeg.jpg

I like using the above better than the D'Andrea classical guitar strap which works well but requires more fidgeting

41EBaMrN7fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks for all of these, guys. I attempted to tie a few shoe strings together, but, it just didn't work. Checking all these out now!

Last edited:
It depends on what your needs are what kind of strap will be best. If you have trouble keeping the neck in position, a Uke Leash or full strap (with strap button installed) should help. I haven't tried the sound hole hook (looks too scary, might mar/ crack the uke's delicate soundboard, may mute the sound) and I have heard that if you let go, the uke will barrel roll forward, and possibly fall off the hook. It probably helps with holding up the uke, but maybe not as good for stabilizing the neck.

If you don't mind having a hole drilled, a full strap is the most support.
–Lori

I'm currently using a guitar strap I found in my basement for my Eleuke. (Which has two strap buttons.) It works pretty well. I would consider a narrower strap, this one is a tad big in comparison to the uke. I have a Flea Collar, but it didn't really work too well for me. Maybe I'm just not putting it on correctly.
I should try the UkeLeash some time...It has so many positive reviews.

..I haven't tried the sound hole hook (looks too scary, might mar/ crack the uke's delicate soundboard, may mute the sound) and I have heard that if you let go, the uke will barrel roll forward, and possibly fall off the hook. It probably helps with holding up the uke, but maybe not as good for stabilizing the neck.

The "Flea Collar" or classical guitar strap just holds the uke in place while your strumming forearm lightly snugs it in. It won't fall unless you have no hand or arm on the uke. It's a perfectly natural feel. Also the slight pressure of the forearm, along with the hook, keeps the neck right where you decide it should be. Good enough for Willie; good enough for me!

wn.jpg

I've been a big fan of Levy's leather straps for my guitars for years. Since playing 'uke, I've tried a few different strap styles but missed my Levy's. I found they make a kid's guitar strap that is the same as I've always used but smaller. I got one and it's perfect for what I was looking for. And it comes in a wide array of colors.

It requires 2 strap buttons.

Here's a link...

Levy's MS60JR

I've been a big fan of Levy's leather straps for my guitars for years. Since playing 'uke, I've tried a few different strap styles but missed my Levy's. I found they make a kid's guitar strap that is the same as I've always used but smaller. I got one and it's perfect for what I was looking for. And it comes in a wide array of colors.

It requires 2 strap buttons.

Here's a link...

Levy's MS60JR

Looks like it could be the ticket for my K-Wave....

Thanks!

Top Bottom