Tips on Buying a good intro guitar...PLEASE!

specialmike

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to buy a classical guitar lately. Needless to say, I know nothing about guitars. They have six strings... a larger cavity.. and they are really freaking big. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of guitars.

Brand wise, I'm only familiar with the big names, not entirely familiar with the smaller name brands. So I'm looking for some good information that I know that the forum can only deliver.

Also, some price ranges would be great if you could muster out some numbers. I'm not looking to spend too much. Trying to stay under 200.

Thank You all. I tried using the search function, but "tips" & "buying" bring up a lot of threads... all great, but not classical guitar related....

So I've been wanting to buy a classical guitar lately. Needless to say, I know nothing about guitars. They have six strings... a larger cavity.. and they are really freaking big. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of guitars.

Brand wise, I'm only familiar with the big names, not entirely familiar with the smaller name brands. So I'm looking for some good information that I know that the forum can only deliver.

Also, some price ranges would be great if you could muster out some numbers. I'm not looking to spend too much. Trying to stay under 200.

Thank You all. I tried using the search function, but "tips" & "buying" bring up a lot of threads... all great, but not classical guitar related....

Mike, Call me. I have some info for you.

Washburn and Yamaha both have fairly good starter classicals in that price range. Look for the same things you look for in a Uke. Playability, action, intonation, fit & finish, etc...

If you can, at least look at a Walden. I have a Walden classical and it is truly an exceptional guitar. Well made, and it has a wonderful sound. I spent about 350 on mine, but is all solid wood. It is a little more money, but I played a ton of beginner classicals when I was looking, and that Walden blew even higher priced models out of the water.

It is really important that you try out as many different guitars as you can. Good luck!

It is essential to bring your own guitar for comparison.Our memory of sounds is not all that good. Every room has different acoustics.I really like the Ovation for playing blues.I played an Ovation once,have to say I didn't like it.I also like Yamaha,I used to have a Yamaha 12 string acoustic.

In your price range: Yamaha 170 series - solid tops - lots of people give good reviews
Cort AC15 - I have one and it's fine - solid cedar top
I love the La Patrie guitars from Canada - the Etude (solid cedar) may be in your range
I have the smaller bodied Motif model and it is sweet.
The Waldens really are nice if you can stretch to the price (which is a good price, BTW)

My best advice to get the most bang for your buck is to buy used. A lot of guitarists either upgrade to a better instrument or quit, so there's usually a pretty good market of low-end used guitars. Try craigslist and check with local music stores that take trade-ins. Pawn shops are another source.

I've heard good things about the Yamaha classicals in that price range, but you should start looking without any preconceived notions of brand names. Well, except I'd say you probably want to avoid anything that that shyster Esteban put his name on. ;)

I second used. All of mine were used, I just swapped a uke for about an even used price for a used but sweet classical half size student. I wouldn't buy new to start. I didn't even buy a uke new until the 7th I think. At minimum get a solid top.

You can't get a "good" or "decent" classical guitar under 200$.
You can get a student model that will stay in tune and be intonated correctly (check both this issues!), and may be comfortable enough to have fun with.
If you ask me, the spanish makers make better guitars than yamahas or washburns. But they tend to cost more.
Get a solid top model. It's more important on a guitar than on uke.

Top Bottom