How humid does Hawaii?

iDavid

Reaction score
How humid does Hawaii get, or how high is it in general? I remember ready the over 60 percent can cause problem with wooden instruments, but is that different with an all Koa Hawaiian made uke?

The usual clarity of the air in the high mountains is associated with the low moisture content of the air. Except for occasional periods of a few hours duration, which seem to accompany the arrival of more moist air from below, the relative humidity is generally below 40 percent, and it often falls to 10 or even five percent. Such low humidities are characteristic of the zone above the inversion that separates the lower and upper air.

Below the inversion, the lowlands and along the lower mountains, the relative humidity commonly averages 70 to 80 percent in windward areas and 60 to 70 percent in leeward ones. Winter relative humidities are somewhat higher than summer ones; and in terms of daily variations the maximum values occur with the minimum temperatures, during the late night and very maximum values occur with the minimum temperatures, during the late night and very early morning. Nighttime values in the cooler and rainier areas often exceed 90 percent, but are more frequently between 70 to 80 percent in the leeward lowlands and other drier localities. Afternoon values are commonly between 60 to 70 percent in the windward and uplands regions, not infrequently between 50 to 55 percent in the drier, warmer coastal zones, and seldom fall below 40 percent anywhere at elevations below the trade wind inversion. Thus, except on the high mountains, the general regime in Hawaii is one of high humidities as compared with conditions in most other states.
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/narratives/HAWAII.htm

Huh? Your question doesn't make sense. Hawaii doesn't humid. Nothing humids. It's not a verb.

Hawaii can get humid, but humid isn't something one "does." It's something that happens, meteorologically speaking. If you ask "how humid does Hawaii get" or "How much humidity is found in Hawaii" then you might get a clear answer.

I knew what you meant.

Lets say... It's humid enough to make you feel like you need to take a shower 2 minutes after stepping off a plane from the Mainland. It varies a lot - especially on the BI with the almost 14 thousand feet mountains. I'm on the wet side and I leave my 'ukulele in it's case without a DEhumidifier and I haven't had any problems.

Plus it makes your skin nice. :p

Huh? Your question doesn't make sense. Hawaii doesn't humid. Nothing humids. It's not a verb.

Hawaii can get humid, but humid isn't something one "does." It's something that happens, meteorologically speaking. If you ask "how humid does Hawaii get" or "How much humidity is found in Hawaii" then you might get a clear answer.

Wow. :(

David...Melissa gave quite a comprehensive answer. I remember there being humidity that was noticeable when I lived in Hawaii years ago, but nothing like I experience here in Central Florida. I have AC, but perform outside and have not had any issues with the brief encounters with humidity that the area offers.

Some years it can get really bad, however we have the tradewinds so it's pretty good..
For me, I've never seen an ukulele from here really affected by the weather.......
MM Stan...

Top Bottom