Jimmy Buffett - Margaritaville

SailQwest

Reaction score
We were hanging out playing in the cockpit this evening, and decided that it was the perfect setting for a little impromptu recording. Margaritaville seemed like the perfect song for some "happy hour" music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQ2ty0IFkw

Here's an extra verse we used to add in (especially when I was playing washboard with Dog Mafia).

Old men in tanktops
Cruisin' the gift shops
Checkin' chiquitas down by the shore
They all have a sunburn
You'd think someday they'd learn
These 3 day vacations can sure be a bore.

(I can't remember who came up with that but I categorically deny that it was me!)

Look at those frat boys
Making all that noise
Chugging Coronas like they're outta style.
chasing the blonde girls
who binge before they hurl
They'll get them in bed - just give them a while.

Here's an extra verse we used to add in (especially when I was playing washboard with Dog Mafia).

Old men in tanktops
Cruisin' the gift shops
Checkin' chiquitas down by the shore
They all have a sunburn
You'd think someday they'd learn
These 3 day vacations can sure be a bore.

(I can't remember who came up with that but I categorically deny that it was me!)
Jimmy wrote it. It's was cut out originally, and became the "LOST VERSE" only to be played here and there at live concerts once in a while. And Hobbits version is not quite right....

Old men in tank tops
Cruisin' the gift shops
Checkin' out chiquitas down by the shore
They dream about weight loss
Wish they could be their own boss
those three day vacations can be such a bore.

Sorry to correct you, Hobbit......and yes, I am a parrothead.........

look At Those Frat Boys
Making All That Noise
Chugging Coronas Like They're Outta Style.
Chasing The Blonde Girls
Who Binge Before They Hurl
They'll Get Them In Bed - Just Give Them A While.

Lmao !

Jimmy wrote it. It's was cut out originally, and became the "LOST VERSE" only to be played here and there at live concerts once in a while. And Hobbits version is not quite right....

Old men in tank tops
Cruisin' the gift shops
Checkin' out chiquitas down by the shore
They dream about weight loss
Wish they could be their own boss
those three day vacations can be such a bore.

Sorry to correct you, Hobbit......and yes, I am a parrothead.........

Cool! I had no idea.

But I'm willing to bet the next to the last line is something like "Wish they were their own boss." The other way just doesn't scan right.

Thanks for your comments, everyone! And thanks for posting some "alternate" lyrics! We'll have to add them to the song!

We do have a pretty cool lifestyle. We work really hard, and we work long days (12-16 hrs), but our work is (usually) a lot of fun.
The bad part is that sometimes we work for weeks without a break (our record is 3-1/2 months without a day off).

But, we occasionally have some big chunks of time for "messing around," which almost always involves spending quality time with our ukuleles. We just had a couple of weeks between charters, which has been great! Lots of time for playing, recording, and watching a gazillion videos on YT! Not to mention perusing UU and finding a wealth of information and entertainment!

UU is the BEST!!! :nana:

Well, he sure did squeeze it in.

But it still scans wrong with the rest the verses.

I suppose if you've done the same song for all these years you can get all sorts of loose with it. Long Island cuties, girls from the Jersey shore, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like loose, and he's got no trouble in the entertainment department. Not to mention he writes a hella good book.

I just try to sand and file my lyrics down to the point that all verses scan the same (or all bridges, choruses, etc.). Hearing folk mashing all sorts of extra syllables in grates on me a bit.

(And ya shoulda waited to post the link 'til after you got a firm bet out of me. ;) )

Well, he sure did squeeze it in.

But it still scans wrong with the rest the verses.

I suppose if you've done the same song for all these years you can get all sorts of loose with it. Long Island cuties, girls from the Jersey shore, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like loose, and he's got no trouble in the entertainment department. Not to mention he writes a hella good book.

I just try to sand and file my lyrics down to the point that all verses scan the same (or all bridges, choruses, etc.). Hearing folk mashing all sorts of extra syllables in grates on me a bit.

(And ya shoulda waited to post the link 'til after you got a firm bet out of me. ;) )
Damn, I could of owned that sopranino! And yes, Jimmy is good at loose. He is very good at messing with his own lyrics. Funny thing, he makes quite a few mistakes at concerts. Early in his career it was probably 'cuz he was high, now he's just having senior moments. But the cool thing about it, when he makes a mistake (coming in early on a verse, singing the wrong verse, etc...) he leaves it in the live recordings. Something wonderfully confident about that.

...the cool thing about it, when he makes a mistake (coming in early on a verse, singing the wrong verse, etc...) he leaves it in the live recordings.

That's righteous.

In my YouTube vids my rule has been "get a good take" not "get a perfect take."

Sometimes perfect can be the enemy of good. I think that a lot of the reason the oddball music way out on the long tail is getting so popular is because people have gotten sick to death of music that's been pitch-corrected, layered so deep you can't hardly see it from here, compressed so hard it can't breathe and generally polished to such "perfection" that it's just factory made pap.

Humans make music. Humans make mistakes. Human music is going to have a share of fluffs in it and that's ok.

SQ, thanks for sharing that video! What vessel are you guys on? I grew up in corpus christi, tx doing a little bit of sailing! I'd love to live on a boat, maybe even take a few vacationers sailing!

SQ, thanks for sharing that video! What vessel are you guys on? I grew up in corpus christi, tx doing a little bit of sailing! I'd love to live on a boat, maybe even take a few vacationers sailing!

The name of our boat is Qwest. (We named the boat before US West changed their name to Qwest...those b*$%@#ds!)

We love living on the boat, and we take people on sailing charters (usually for a week at a time) for a living. It's pretty cool, for sure!

great job on the video! did you get the kitty kat to say soweeee? :)

i've always wondered what it would be like living on a boat? it would be nice to be able to take your home wherever you wanted to go.

Top Bottom