PDA

View Full Version : Another uke is born

dustartist
07-03-2010, 09:24 AM
This seems to be the week for new ukes to be finished. I'll add my two cents. It's a tenor, spruce top & bubinga sides and back. I ordered the materials and plans from Hana Lima 'Ia. I'm starting a second one now, w/ walnut sides and back. The Gotoh tuners make it a little neck-heavy, but not too badly. I installed a Mi-Si pickup after reading about them on this forum and I am impressed with its sound. There are a few changes I think I'll make to this next one, the plans are a good starting point though.http://img97.imageshack.us/g/20100625imgp6966.jpg/

Steve vanPelt
07-03-2010, 09:44 AM
That looks really nice. The bubinga is gorgeous. I got a misi from MGM a while back and am thinking about finally putting in an 'uke. Any chance you could post how you went about installing it?

Pete Howlett
07-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Sound file? Video? I dislike bubinga as a luthier wood so would be fascinated know how this thing sounds without the pickup activated...

dustartist
07-03-2010, 11:12 PM
The Mi-Si wasn't much trouble to install. I found the center for the endpin hole and started it with a 1/8" bit, finished up w/ a step drill. Drilled an hole angled at about 45 toward the side for the UST in the saddle slot. I followed Chuck Moore's advice and allowed for about 1/4" of dead space at the end of the transducer, which I ran back down another hole at the other end of the saddle. After that it is just a matter of fishing everything through and securing it. I used a 1/4" dowel shoved into the jack to pull the circuit board/jack assembly down to the endpin hole from the soundhole. I taped a piece of wire to the UST and fished it up through the hole in the saddle. I had a problem at first with the pickup wire rattling around inside the ukulele, but I coiled it a ltttle tighter and that went away. It was pretty simple, the hairiest part was drillling the holes in a finished instrument. Charged it up and it sounds really good, better than most piezo-type pickups I've heard. Not so much of that cardboard toilet paper roll sound, but pretty smooth and detailed.

Pete, I'll post a video as soon as I can make one. I found the bubinga a bit difficult to work, and very dense and heavy, but with the spruce sounds pretty balanced. Looks nice too.

Dave Higham
07-04-2010, 04:15 AM
Very nice clean work. Not the first instrument you've made, I'll be bound.

dustartist
07-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks, Dave. Not the first, but only the second. I built a Stew-Mac soprano as my first project.

happyslappysoong
07-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Looks like a sharp pro job! congrats.

Dave Higham
07-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Not the first, but only the second. I built a Stew-Mac soprano as my first project.

In that case I take back what I said. It's not just nice work, it's excellent.:D

Dominator
07-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Very nice indeed. Congrats!

mm stan
07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Congrats on the nice uke and job!!
And thanks for sharing with us....
Btw- I've noticed that you use image shack, is it a free program or is it expensive
and how easy or good is it????
MM Stan...

dustartist
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Imageshack is great. It's free and very easy to use. You don't even need to create an account. It's easier for me to post a link than to upload a bunch of pictures, and I guess it might be easier on the UU server..

ksquine
07-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Very pretty