My new Bean Sprout Uke from Aaron Keim

adam2180

Reaction score
Aaron recently made me this awesome uke, I thought I would share it with all of you. It's a solid Mahogany soprano with a 14"scale. The neck joins the body at the 13th fret instead of the 12th. The scale is bigger then a soprano (13") and smaller then a concert (15"). I asked him to make the neck nice and fat and wide. The workmanship is top notch, anyone who has ever seen his "Bean Sprout banjo" knows how talented he is. The uke arrived a few weeks ago, the only problem was the action was too low for me but I like higher action. I made a new bone saddle and set the action higher myself, it was quit easy.

I love this uke, it sounds fantastic. It has a wonderful tone, loud yet articulate. I am already thinking of ordering another uke form Aaron.
35781_10150234123785433_763855432_13415059_5735516_n.jpg

Aloha Adam,
Awesome and congrats on the beatiful ukulele. I see you've even got a pick-up there too.
Is it a personal choice for the higher action???It must have sounded a litle more volume
when you raised the saddle/action...How are you tuning it and are those Aqilla sopranos
or aquilla concert strings. MM Stan..
BTW- Why do they call it a "Bean Sprout Ukulele"??

Last edited:
I use C tuning. I am using Aquila Concerts on this one, Its almost a concert scale and I like the tension. I like my action a little higher because I play a little harder. I don't go crazy on it but I don't like string buzz when I dig in. If you look at a properly set up nylon string guitar you will find higher action, that's what I prefer, It will increase the volume as well (not that this uke needed it). I installed the pickup myself, its from www.jjb-electronics.com and it sounds great.

I always associate Banjo ukes with Aaron so nice to see a regular 'ukulele from him, very nice.

BTW- Why do they call it a "Bean Sprout Ukulele"??

I'm assuming their company name came from their banjolele's shape, since its unique proportions give it a similar "bean sprout" look. And it might have to do with having handmade ("home-grown"), earthy instruments put together. So the Bean Sprout name transfers to everything Aaron and Heidi make!

(Now that I think about it, this particular uke kinda looks like peanut more than a bean. :D)

Would it be ungentlemanly perchance to dare to enquire as to the purchase price of such an item of beauty?

Hey Everybody! This uke is based off of an old Kumalae, but with deeper body, larger neck and modern construction techniques. I make them in soprano and concert sizes. $500 for soprano and $600 for concert. The company is called Beansprout because my last name "Keim" means little sprout in German. I am so busy making the banjo ukes that I don't get to make many "figure 8" ukes. I think this one for Adam sounds and feels great! I also do my best to build out of domestic wood, much of is salvaged and recycled from other sources.
Enjoy!
Aaron
aaronckeim@gmail.com

Top Bottom