Big day tomorrow..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I hope I can hold out. It's been quite some time since I actually played outside of my own home, especially in large crowds.. I have been invited to a large cook out, where I will be playing. It isn't an organized show. Just a big crowd of family, neighbors and friends sitting around BSing, and eating.

Later that night, I have been invited to a different gathering around a huge bon fire. This one, in my own neighborhood. Tons of neighbors will be gathered around the fire hanging out. Most the people in my area know I play the Uke, and it has been asked that I bring it. So, I will be playing for a couple large crowds all day and night... Gonna be a rough day for me physically, but I think allot of fun. Wish me luck..

Luck! But I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)

A cookout, a bon fire... both very informal occasions. It's not like you're expected to perform a concert where people are going to be critical. My only suggestion would be to include lots of songs people already know and exhort them to sing along. You'll be the life of the party!

Have fun and do let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Aloha Tudorp,
How cool that is....sharing you ukulele music with everyone.....that's what ukulele(music )
is all about. Have fun buddy and enjoy....I'm sure time will go by sooo fast when you're
having fun...Don't forget to bring a nice comfortable chair or log to sit on with you. Well the
fresh air and good friends will be well worth it, for sure...Give us the 411 later on....
Best of Luck!! MM Stan..."Keep Strumming Them Strings" ukuleles are forevas...MM Stan....

Im not worried about putting on a "concert". I'm more worried I can actually physically hold out, lol. I am disabled, and usually just a few hours of activity is about it for me. Just gonna be a long day, but I think allot of fun.

I am also thinking about bringing the banjo Uke for some fun with that. My my soprano is gonna be pretty much the main tool of the day. I am also thinking about putting the baby "Sopranino" in one of my full sized acoustic guitar hard cases. Most know I also have played guitar in the past, and maybe they think I have started that again. Will be funny to see the expressions when I open that up, and pull out the little gal.. hahhah.. I tend to like shock value.. ;)

Aloha Tudorp,
How cool that is....sharing you ukulele music with everyone.....that's what ukulele(music )
is all about. Have fun buddy and enjoy....I'm sure time will go by sooo fast when you're
having fun...Don't forget to bring a nice comfortable chair or log to sit on with you. Well the
fresh air and good friends will be well worth it, for sure...Give us the 411 later on....
Best of Luck!! MM Stan..."Keep Strumming Them Strings" ukuleles are forevas...MM Stan....

Oh no worries there... I'll have my "ride" with me. I am in a wheelchair, so I got the seating covered.. lol..

Best of luck to you! I'm a little nervous as well...I was asked to play an open mic this upcoming Wednesday. I've never played anything but drums in front of people (been playing drums for 18 years...been playing uke for about 1 year). Definitely nervous.

Best of luck...take it easy and have a good time! Let us know how it went.

Aloha Tudorp,
Your Ku'u poki'i in your guitar case...lol, what a prankster.....their face expression
would be well worth it!!!
I also understand about the fun now and pay later associated with physical diasability very well
however, the fresh air and friends will be well worth it mentally.. once in a while is good!!!

Last edited:
Good luck - sounds like it'll be a full and fun day!

Knock 'em dead big guy

Well, it's half over. Just got home from the 1st cookout. I'm telling ya, I am spent, but lasted allot longer than I had thought. Good company, and lots of fun. Played till my fingers damn near bled. My 13 year old daughter sang as I played for her. Other's joined in. Had an awesome time. My daughter did awesome with IZ's arrangement of "Over The Ranbow/Wonderfull World". It was cool, too, because my elderly mother was there, and was trying to sing along but with the old version.. hahhah.. Didn't match up, but she loved IZ's version of it, and we sat around awhile on that while my daughter taught her IZ' version while I played. My 80 year old Maw can now bust a word with Brudah IZ.. lol.. "Sunny Afternoon" by the Kinks was also a big hit with the crowd.. Now I got a break to rest up for an hour or two before the neighborhood Bon Fire party... Think I need to take an EKG machine with me for this one, lol..

Thanks for the update Big Guy,
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself with your family and it
distracted you from your physical issues. Hope you saved
some of your fingers for tonight!!lol....You go big guy!!!

So, Tudorp, how'd it go last night?

Went very well last night. Lots of fire, and fireworks. I didn't play as much as I did earlier, mainly because there was allot of activity with hours of fireworks, and the kids running around. But, I did some, and everyone enjoyed it for a break between firework displays. Everybody laughed their asses off when I said I wanted to take a break from this Uke, and change to something else for awhile. Then open up the big guitar case, everyone thought there was gonna be some guitar for awhile, only to see yet another even smaller uke.. That was a big hit, and people enjoyed Ku'u poki'i singing for awhile. The boy that has come over several times that I have been teaching how to play wanted to play with me, so I got him the other Uke and we both played a couple songs I been teaching him. It was enjoyable, but I am paying the price today for the long day yesterday, but it was worth it..

Glad to hear that all went well! It sounds as if you had a great time. My disability is only temporary, having had recent back surgery, but I understand the perils of over-doing it. I was a little concerned that you had planned a bit much for one day. Now I can quit worrying....

Oh it was really too much, lol.. But, the saving grace is, it was very informal, and when I got tired, I would take allot of breaks.. The other stuff with the bon fire, and fireworks going on all over the place was a good distraction, and an excuse to take a break for awhile. Again, it was well worth it. I hadn't been out like that for some time, and it was well overdue.

Top Bottom