PDA

View Full Version : Is there something seriously wrong with me?

Jerlial Prophet
07-03-2010, 05:47 PM
I just got my first Uke, a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert, a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing. I've been a guitar player for years but recently got a bug about getting a uke. So, since I've received the uke, I've only played guitar one time. I even have a special order Taylor 812c on its way and I hardly even care. All I can think about is a way to get my wife to let me get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Is there something seriously wrong with me? I guess my GAS (of the guitar variety) was just replaced with UAS.

cletus
07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
All I can think about is a way to get my wife to let me get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Is there something seriously wrong with me?

You seem perfectly fine to me.

Chris Tarman
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Nope. Same thing happened to me. I've been a bass player for nearly 30 years, and I also have a decent old Yamaha acoustic guitar (which admittedly I didn't play much anymore already). Since I started playing ukulele about a year and a half ago, the only times I touch a bass are when I am gigging or practicing with a band. I don't think I've touched my guitar more than two or three times. But I spend at least an hour nearly every day playing a uke. I love it! I also love bass, but it's just not as much fun to play by myself.

UncleElvis
07-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Answered in the first phrase of your first sentence.

Is there something wrong with you?

"I just got my first Uke..."

Yep... you're done for...

mm stan
07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Aloha Jerlial,
Welcome to the UU, and congrats on all of your recent purchases...We've all got the
same urges here...so you're not alone....is it normal ..who cares...
The ukulele is very addicting, and so is buying them....
Enjoy the journey!!! "Keep strumming them strings...Ukuleles are forever!!
Uke On!! MM Stan..

jordan bello
07-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I just got my first Uke, a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert, a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing. I've been a guitar player for years but recently got a bug about getting a uke. So, since I've received the uke, I've only played guitar one time. I even have a special order Taylor 812c on its way and I hardly even care. All I can think about is a way to get my wife to let me get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Is there something seriously wrong with me? I guess my GAS (of the guitar variety) was just replaced with UAS.

I always wanted to play guitar and last year I bought three within 6 months. Then my girlfriend told me she wanted to buy me a ukulele. She paid for my Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert which I bought from this website as my first contact with the Ukulele Underground. Now I rarely touch my guitars. I am on Ukulele Underground every day. I bought a KoAloha Super Concert to satisfy my UAS, but still find myself lusting over everything from a Kala Watermelon ukulele ($80) to a Collings UC3K ($2,500). Someday I will continue on my quest to learn to play the guitar. But the uke and has taken over my life. I need that "Obsession" show on A&E to come save me.

Welcome to the club. You are doomed. The Ukulele just makes music fun.

Ahnko Honu
07-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Definitely something wrong with you. Welcome to the asylum (run by inmates).

penster
07-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Is there something seriously wrong with me?
There is something seriously wrong with you and I have the same problem.
3 months ago I bought a ukulele for my birthday and I now cannot put it down. I have a line of guitars and basses hung on my wall: Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker etc. and I have stopped playing them.
Penster

twebby
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
It's ok, this forum is full of guitar/bass players who have abandoned their original instruments for the brilliant and majestic creature known as a ukulele.

dkcrown
07-04-2010, 01:22 AM
There is nothing wrong with you. You are one of us. Welcome. Start saving your $, you WILL buy that PS. And then maybe a Mainland, or a Mele, or a Kanilea, or a .....

Markwell
07-04-2010, 01:35 AM
I tend to go through phases where I play guitar more than uke, and uke more than guitar - but generally I play them both regularly. It'll be the fact that you've just discovered the uke, and it's something different so at the moment it interests you more. They can live side by side, don't worry about it.#

Welcome to the club.

Pinebaron
07-04-2010, 01:44 AM
I used to play the guitar and had many nice ones over the years. I got disinterested in the guitar and sold my last one about 2 years ago. A couple of months ago I bought myself a Uke. It has rekindled an old flame. It's like falling in love all over again. Makes me think of the old song "Then there was you". Enjoy and be happy.

Pippin
07-04-2010, 02:27 AM
I have played both ukulele and guitar for over forty years. I played ukulele prior to taking up guitar. I was given my first uke in the early 1960s. That gives you the time-frame. My first guitar came after the uke and my first decent acoustic guitar (Decca dreadnaught) came around 1968, followed about two years later by a vintage archtop Gretsch Electromatic.

Skrik
07-04-2010, 02:33 AM
It's not a weakness, it's a strength. Just make the missus understands this.

tumnusLOVE
07-04-2010, 03:46 AM
Oh, the same thing happened to me. Then, I tried to go back to the guitar and my fingers refused to stretch over the big fret and wanting to play uke chords on the guitar. It was a disaster.

Graymalkin
07-04-2010, 04:09 AM
I tried to go back to the guitar and my fingers refused to stretch over the big fret and wanting to play uke chords on the guitar. It was a disaster.

So would you say it's an advantage or a disadvantage not having played guitar (or anything else with strings) before attempting to learn the uke?

spookefoote
07-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Quite normal

tumnusLOVE
07-04-2010, 06:51 AM
So would you say it's an advantage or a disadvantage not having played guitar (or anything else with strings) before attempting to learn the uke?

Being able to play guitar before I started the uke was a huge advantage. It was easier to pick up on chords, strumming, and all the technical aspects. It also depends on the person, really. It took me a while to figure out the guitar, but because I had the basics down on that, the uke was easy to catch onto. It was harder to switch back to the guitar, because my fingers had grown so used to being cramped! Personally, I think it would be harder to go from playing the uke to learning the guitar, but the other way around would be easier? Not sure.

haole
07-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Wanting a Pineapple Sunday would be rational even if you owned three hundred ukes.

Pippin
07-04-2010, 07:43 AM
One of the things I love about ukulele and guitar is that they blend well together. The guitar really fills in the low end while the ukulele provides great accents and nice strum patterns. On some songs, though, I prefer playing ukulele and some I prefer guitar. I have a baritone uke at all times in my collection, typically more than one, and when I want fullness without the volume of guitar, the baritone gives me that. It's also cool to play songs like Dust In the Wind on baritone.

baumer
07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm just one more bass player (and guitar strummer) that now devotes 99% of playing time to the uke.

I did just restring my Seagull in an effort to make me pick it up more. And now I'm seriously lusting after a Kala U-bass to keep scratching my bass itch!

LightLizard
07-04-2010, 08:30 AM
well, i think that there's actually something right about you.
the uke is awesome! i too play guitar (learned from musical friends through the years that i played drums professionally) and have found since becoming a ukester that when i pick up the guitar now, (which is extremely rare) it feels so big and unweildy to me. the strings are too far apart (it seems) and there's just too many damn strings!
but i don't care. the uke satisfies my every creative need and i just love the portability of the instrument.

uke on, ukesters!

LL

Jerlial Prophet
07-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I love this site and it is perhaps a large part of my enjoyment of the Uke. Aldrine's Uke Minutes are awsome and helped me to jump right into the instrument. Now that I think of it, the Uke is probably the next logical step in my musical progression. I started with piano and trumpet but never really loved those. Switched to guitar, mostly electric, and stuck with that for a while. Then I got tired of the amps and pedals and cables so I switched to acoustic guitar. Thats when I discovered Taylor guitars (which I still love). I stuck with Dreads for a while because I loved the big boomy sound but I was just so uncomfortable when lounging on the couch. I then switched the Grand Concert size (Taylors smallest production guitar) and it just fit so well. However, nothing fits like a uke. Seems like I just keep downsizing. Looks like I may end up with that mini-mini uke thing that Papa KoAloha made as his first uke? Anyway, having just started with the uke, I already have a uke wish list worked out starting with the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday (as I mentioned before), a Flea (the tiki guy one), a Makala Dolphin, and heck why not a Kamaka and Kanile'a or two, and that should just about cover it... oh, and a couple more Mainlands, and........

Chris Tarman
07-04-2010, 06:36 PM
well, i think that there's actually something right about you.
the uke is awesome! i too play guitar (learned from musical friends through the years that i played drums professionally) and have found since becoming a ukester that when i pick up the guitar now, (which is extremely rare) it feels so big and unweildy to me. the strings are too far apart (it seems) and there's just too many damn strings!
but i don't care. the uke satisfies my every creative need and i just love the portability of the instrument.

uke on, ukesters!

LL

One thing that seems really really weird to me... after playing ukulele, my basses don't feel too big. It feels "just right", but in a different way than the uke does. BUT... my acoustic guitar seems HUGE! The body, the neck... it is IMPOSSIBLY big now. I don't know why the basses don't feel that way too.

70sSanO
07-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Probably nothing wrong with you. I've played guitar for a lot of years and I recently walked away from a Guild Bluesbird for $400 and a Tacoma dread for $280. But I couldn't resist buying a second tenor.

Here is what I found. The sound is too compelling. Almost anything you can play on a guitar you can play on a uke. There are so many more unusual chord shapes that you could never reach on a guitar. You get spoiled with 4 strings-4 fingers. There is no pressure when you play a ukulele, it is just a fun instrument. But I think one major plus is that the size allows you to play anywhere... lying on a couch, in a passenger seat without sticking a headstock into your spouse's forehead, just walking around, etc.

John

mrplatypus70
07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Nothing wrong with you at all... but if that poor Taylor guitar is going to be negected and sit in the corner collecting dust you could send it to me!!!

Tudorp
07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Im sure this has already been said, but I didn't read this thread until just now.

I played bass in a Jazz band many years ago. I played guitar and bass for over 30 years. After my accident I have not been able to play for awhile. I have arthritis pretty bad now which also hurt my playing. I have several guitars still because I have never given up the love for them, even though I could not play as I once did. But, my daughter has taken that passion over, so she will end up with them all, and that is just fine. I am proud to pass the torch. I have wanted a Ukulele for many years, but just never got one. I have to admit I was sort of a secret lover of the Uke, but never took it very serious as many guitarists didn't. It is kinda like my Hot Rod obsession. I have built and drove vintage hot rods for many years, but as most Hot Rod guys, make fun of the VW beetle. But, was always a closet lover of the VW Beetle, but afraid to admit it. Same thing with the Uke. Listening to IZ before he died made me come out of the closet, and I started tinkering around with it, but still never took it very serious. It was more of a novelty with me then. As my disability and arthritis got worse, I was able to play the guitar less and less. About a year ago, I started playing around with the Uke more and more realizing "Hey, I don't have to give up my music due to my disability". The Uke gave it back to me, because I can play it. I love the small size, because I can play with and not be so clumsey with it in my wheelchair. it was an instrument I could just pick up that I didn't have to manipulate a load of equipment, and stand up to play. I can just grab it and get at it.. The Uke rekindled my passion, and I have no limitations playing it. It gave me back something I lost several years ago..

KevinV
07-05-2010, 05:25 AM
A familiar story. After playing guitar for nearly 30 years I've all but abandoned it for the 'ukulele. I've parted with all but one of my guitars and spend all my time on the 'uke. I really do prefer it over guitar and it fits in well with my band, extending the range from bass through 'uke. I really dig it and don't see losing interest in it in the future.

Fstpicker
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm a long-time 43+ year guitar player, and have fallen in love with my new Tenor Uke. The tight chordal harmony is so beautiful and enticing. I still play my guitar, but find myself reaching for the uke as it seems to be just easier to pick up and start playing. Plus, it's just plain FUN!!!!

FWIW, my first stringed instrument I learned on before guitar was my Kingston Baritone ukulele, which I still have. Yes, it does sound wonderful!!

Jeff

pulelehua
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Like many of the posters, I was a longtime guitarist, but have almost stopped completely. Had a jazz gig a few days ago where I was supposed to play bass, but ended up sight-reading charts on guitar. Missed a few chords. Not that I REALLY missed them, I just voiced them like you would on a ukulele. So, they came out nice, just a perfect fourth too low. Took me ages to work out what was wrong on one song.

So, beware!

(Honestly, I spent the whole time wishing I had a ukulele and a decent mic)

tnobes
07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I had the same problem. I have been an ENTHUSIASTIC guitar player for about 9 years now and finally dropped a lot of money on a Taylor. All of the sudden I find myself wanting a uke, and the Taylor is sitting in the corner and slightly out of tune. Since I've gotten my uke I can't put it down. I bring it with me to work to play on my 30 minute breaks. And I ordered a new one even though I just got my other one and have already planned my next (Mainland pineapple).

UU has become a staple, as has my uke, but guitar will always have a special place with me. But for now, and most likely a long long time, UAS will be eat me alive. Prepare to have this button handy: :iwant: