PDA

View Full Version : 40th Roy Sakuma Uke Fest

Howie1947
07-04-2010, 03:01 AM
This will soon be upon us. Uncle Rod Higuchi and I are still trying to get some sort of jam session organized in or around the Waikiki area on July 17th. We have had no indication that UU will attend this year's event as they did last year. So far we have not had too much interest. We hope that as time draws nearer, people will want to make this thing happen. Let us know if you would like to join us. We are even thinking about a BBQ along with the jam session. Everyone bring what he or she would like to cook and throw it on the grill !

Kanaka916
07-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Should be a great day . . . to all those attending, enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/hawhyen51/40th-ukulele-fest.jpg

Ronnie Aloha
07-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I'll be at the fest on Sunday but I don't arrive until Saturday night. I hope you can all get together!

wickedwahine11
07-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I won't be able to make the get together on Saturday either, but I hope to see some fellow UU'ers on Sunday at the Festival. :)

Christie
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
My husband and I arrive Friday for the festival and would be interested in meeting folks who are jamming. We aren't experienced in jamming and so will most likely be observers. However, we'd like to meet some other uke enthusiasts.

Howie1947
07-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Christie, We will keep you updated as things develop. There does not appear to be too much interest at this point, but that could change. Just keep checking back here.....................Howie

lkdumas
07-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I'm in! I will arrive on the 14th., and plan some factory tours on Thursday and Friday - and will attend the Gala on Friday night and the Fest on Sunday in the park. Saturday is open. Hopefully, I will be able to bring my new uke resulting from the Ko'Olau tour and a visit to Hawaiian Music Supply. Please keep us posted.

MGM
07-06-2010, 07:12 AM
May not be able to make the Jam but I will be in the Koaloha Booth on Sunday..Stop by and say hello,,

Howie1947
07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
MGM...............The last time I stopped by the KoAloha booth (last July 09) I purchased a 6-string KoAloha. Although the deal was sweet, and I love the uke. I had some explaining to do to my wife. She said that if I visit you this time, for me to leave my credit card with her.......Howie

Strummingbird Stu
07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I'll definitely be at the Uke Festival on Sunday July 18th. Should be a great show with all that awesome talent! I'm considering coming to the Jam, but need more details. Is it still on? Where and when? Hope to meet some of you UU guys! Stu

Ronnie Aloha
07-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Aldrine posted on Facebook that he will be at the festival.

Kaneohe til the end
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
stop by our booth... or else... haha

Ahnko Honu
07-15-2010, 10:04 PM
ARGH Won't make this years festival due to family obligations, hope you all have an enjoyable time!

papplehead
07-16-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll be available to jam, probably not on the 17th but of sunday more than likely if anyone is organizing anything. I went to last years and it was a blast. Hope we have a good time again.

Howie1947
07-16-2010, 07:26 AM
There does not seem to be a lot of interest in getting together. Hey Uncle Rod.............what do you think?? I will call you tommorrow to see if you still want to get together. Anyone else is welcome.............Later and news to follow............Howie

Pueo
07-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Grrr I wish I could come. Just bought my tickets to HNL in October though, hopefully there will be something uke-ish to do then.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Aloha All,

Sorry about being incommunicative of late. I just got my computer to work in the Islands!

OK, "Howie" and any other UUers who'd like to get together on Sat (tomorrow!) the 17th, here are some of my thoughts.

I was thinking about getting together at the Ala Moana Shopping Center's Food Court around NOON, lower level, so we could each get our own lunch plate.
Then we might walk across the street to the Ala Moana Beach Park to indulge our appetite for both food and jamming on our ukes.

I have prepared a few Summer Songbooks for those who attend.

What think ye of the "plan" so far?

I'll be checking the UU Forum for any feedback.

Come and uke with us!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi All,

I just spoke with Howie1947 on the phone. He won't be able to get into his hotel room until 1-3p today, Sat the 17th.
So it seems a Saturday get together may be cancelled at this time. However, you may see me strumming
on the sidelwalks of Waikiki. My favorite spots are very near the Pacific Beach Hotel between McDonalds and
Burger King.

We're planning an "After the Uke Fest Jam" tomorrow, Sun the 18th.

We're also planning on getting to the Bandstand early to get good seats. Look for us near the middle (for good viewing) and possibly
under cover in case it rains (got to consider the birds too!).

You're welcome to join us if there's room, and perhaps we could do some "Pre" Uke Fest Jamming as well!

Hope to see you all there. I'll try to remember to wear my bright yellow SUPA t-shirt and Aldrine-like trilby hat.

Keep uke'in',

ceviche
07-17-2010, 11:30 PM
I WILL be there tomorrow!!! Look for me with the red Matson S.S. Kauai T-shirt.

I hope to pick up my KoAloha standard uke at their booth--after requested action adjustment. Paul has been amazingly generous with his time and patience. MGM will be next door for those who wish to buy.

I'm so flipping excited to make the Festival, while working on a container ship that happens to arrive at the right place at the right time. Time to spend some UAS money--though I owe it to The Hawaiian Ukulele Company @ Aloha Tower. I bought my first uke (KoAloha) from them, back in Y2K, and so I plan on keeping the relationship. The location might be totally tourist, but Mamiko Nelson makes up for it with her Aloha generousity.

I also have an S.S. Kauai hat for Aldrine, given that he's a Kauai boy. I am so very excited!!! Hear awesome music, and score new uke. Does it get any better than that?

--Dave E.

wickedwahine11
07-18-2010, 05:52 AM
MGM will be next door for those who wish to buy.

I am so excited, I have been looking forward to it for so long, I hope the weather is great. I am getting there early so I can grab a spot under a tree - good protection for sun or run. I will either be in a brown or green UU shirt or my Reyn Spooner Kamaka history aloha shirt.

I am contemplating leaving my credit card at the hotel to avoid the wares of MGM...

wickedwahine11
07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to say how nice it was to see Aldrine and Ronnie Aloha again, and it was cool to meet you ceviche. I still can't believe that Kanile'a owner Joe Souza and Paul Okami from KoAloha remembered me and came to say hi. Truth be told, I saw you guys but didn't want to say anything because I didn't think you would remember me - Aldrine that goes for you two (and your girlfriend seems sweet!). I guess the ukulele ohana is a small one after all.

I didn't win anything (darn) but did get to talk to Fred Kamaka Jr. about turning my satin finish Kamaka into a gloss one. Looks like I will drop it off to them tomorrow to do it, so it was a fruitful day after all. :)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Hey Wickedwahine,

Sorry we missed you.

I just posted a summary of what I thought of the Uke Fest on Dino's thread.

Howie1947 and I might be getting together tomorrow, Tues the 20th. If you're still in town,
perhaps we could get together and do something "ukulele". I have a car, so I can drive
us all around the island!

I'll PM my cellp phone number if you want to contact me.

Keep uke'in',

airjacobs
07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Is a ticket necessary for this? I'll be at the feast on Sunday but I won't arrive until Saturday night. I hope you can all get together!