Low G G

Pilothawk

Reaction score
I decided to try a low G on one of my ukes. I like the sound and the sustain of the lower G, but I have a quick question. My G chord now sound muted and very different than how they sounded in high G. Is this normal, or a problem with the way I am strumming, or perhaps this cheap uke I am using?

Should I be emphasizing the CEA strings? Thanks in advance.

Try an alternative G chord fingering, perhaps 4232.

Hi Pilothawk

One possibility is that the string slot for the string maybe too narrow and your string is not sitting securely. This happens when a ukulele was set up for a reentrant G (smaller so a narrower slot). Using a magnifier, you can lok at the slot and see if the string is secure.

You can take a needle file and widen the slot, but then when you go back to high G, the slot can be too wide so think carefully.

If other fretted notes sound OK and this problem is only for a open G string, this is a likely problem.

Cheers
Chief

What 'ukulele do you have? Does it have a laminate top?

This is a Hawaii Kai concert scale uke. The seller claims the top and bottom are mahogany, the neck is nato, and to my eyes it looks like the sides are some form of pressed board. It has a bone nut and saddle, and projects rather well. This is a $50 uke, so the fact that it might has "issues" in no way surprises or disappoints me.

Open the G sounds fine. It is only the G chord that sounds muted. I am thinking more and more than my strumming is causing more vibration on the G and C strings and far less on the A string. Could be the uke is fine and the uke operator defective. Hmmmmm.

Consider dropping in on one of the online UU minijams. The members there would be able to listen to your uke and see if they are hearing the same thing you do. They'd also be able to offer advice about strumming technique for your G chord....

Top Bottom