The importance of scale...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I'd just like to offer some wisdom and caution to all those building ukulele for the first time. Elsewhere in another thread Chuck wisely points out the time honoured method of copy first, innovate later. In a lot of new builds I notice some glaring errors of scale - 'improved' body design, chunky square kerfed lining, massive end and tail blocks, oversize depths, bridges either too big or too small, 'lazy' heels.

I don't suppose I am alone in this that my first interaction with any build is to feel the instrument, look inside it and examine both workmanship and design. If these fit together nicely it's almost a guarantee that the uke will sound good. Often, a lack of research produces for me a less than pleasing result.

Advice? - I have none that could improve on Chuck's.

Plea? - follow it and do yourself proud.

I'm still copying Pete..Innovation is very slow in coming to me...I'm the same with Music I do loads of covers..but my own songs are lacking something.

Pete, you can't see the point because your reasons for building are entirely different.

I've now built a grand total of two ukuleles. Neither were from plans, nor were they copied from good ukes. I read lots about building, watched your videos, and then kind of made them up as I went along.

My motivations were not those that you would recognise:

1. I make my living from intellectual activities, speaking and writing. I wanted to see if I could make something with my hands which would work, after a fashion. Both my ukes play (though each has defects which make it less playable than a "proper" ukulele). They're wonky, show tool marks, have blotchy finishes, etc. etc. But I am pleased as Punch because (a) they didn't explode when strung up, and (b) they make a tune and sound quite nice (actually, much nicer than I ever thought they would).

2. I'm interested in exploring the subject by doing it. Thus I've used yew, inspired by one of your own builds. Of course, I couldn't find quarter-sawn yew, so mine is full of wavy patterns - nicely decorative, but far from perfect. What I discovered is that less-than-perfect can still be pleasing.

3. I'm learning new skills - planing, sawing, scraping, side bending, etc. I can cut a 3mm slice from a billet of wood with a handsaw - I never thought I had the physical skills to achieve this (OK, it's 3-3.5mm, but my newly acquired planing skills can fix that).

There's much more to this list, but the bottom line is that I'm not attempting to make the best uke possible, or even the best uke I could make. I'm trying to make a uke, exploring other things on the way. My satisfaction is in the journey, with a playable result being a bonus. Currently I'm recycling a mahogany wardrobe frame (four-piece top and back??? Lunatic!)

By the way, I've been amazed at the nice things people say when they see my ukes, even once I've pointed out their flaws. I've seen your ukes, which are magnificent, and you must be reeling from the constant stream of compliments. One day I hope to ask you to make me one, and my appreciation will be increased by the knowledge gained from my amateur potterings, not diminished.

Prof - I've had my 15 minutes of fame many times and am delighted when someone praises one of my ukes, or hunts me down for information on one that they have 'inherited'. Yes, we all have very different reasons for doing what we do - the luxury of innivation is something I personally cannot afford to indulge. And with respect and high regard for your views, IMHO successful builds are those that go beyond the reach of a friend's praise. I quickly came to realise that there are more tests for success than my wife's adoration of my work.

Thank you Pete for sharing your views on this. The one comment I would like to add is this; I have noticed whenever I show my instruments to people, they are almost always very complimentary. When the kind words are done, I always ask, OK, now tell me what you don't like. It startles people, but you learn more that way. Just another tip for the newbies.

Brad

uhh... What's a "lazy heel"? Just wondering, so I can make sure I don't build a uke with one. Unless you're talking about a "no-good, lowdown lazy heel." In that case, I sure try hard not to be one.

Alan

Thank you Pete for sharing your views on this. The one comment I would like to add is this; I have noticed whenever I show my instruments to people, they are almost always very complimentary. When the kind words are done, I always ask, OK, now tell me what you don't like. It startles people, but you learn more that way. Just another tip for the newbies.

Brad

If you want to get really depressed :(..Ask yourself what "you" don't like about it.:D

Last edited:
Sometimes, I think that the "pro's" forget what its like to be a newbie. I am guessing that they also don't realize how arrogant and condescending some of their remarks may appear regardless of how good their intentions. I think its fair to say that most hobby builders don't have the time or means to commit to building like a professional. Nor do newbies have the luxury of cutting up a uke because it isn't perfect. Do you guys not truly realize how proud someone is of their first uke regardless of how it looks and sounds? A lot of the features that Pete mentioned in his original post are a result of being new to luthier, not having the correct tools or not knowing the correct way of doing something. Yes, they could spend hours upon hours doing research but its not going to do them any good until they actually start the building process. Very simply put, its these very things that you complain about which are the lessons to becoming a better builder. If they continued to make the same mistake over and over then I could possibly see your point. I'd suggest trying something that you have never done before to remind yourself what its like to be a newbie.

Last edited:
Believe me Timbuck, all the good builders I know are acutely aware of every minor flaw of all their instruments. The hardest thing to learn sometimes is when to let go, it is good enough for now. The day I make the perfect instrument, I'll quit.

Brad

Believe me Timbuck, all the good builders I know are acutely aware of every minor flaw of all their instruments. The hardest thing to learn sometimes is when to let go, it is good enough for now. The day I make the perfect instrument, I'll quit.

Brad
That's what I was on about..Someone will have to write some Ukulele Specifications and then we can say it's within spec and no one can complain..I'll bet it's already been done.

Can we base the Ukulele Specifications off a uke built by a newbie? That would make things a whole heck of a lot easier.

All I know is I'm glad Sam Kamaka thought outside the box in 1921 and came up with his patented (in 1928) pineapple 'ukulele. ;)

I'd like to break my silence on this thread.

Returning to Pete's first post, I agree, there is a certain set of design asthetics and principles that will ensure a sweet result. Nature is beautiful and well engineered, I think this is what Pete is touching on.

I don't get the impression he is criticising any ones efforts, he is only sharing his opinion on design principles.

I've made English longbows (about my only woodworking). They may have 3" of set, but I made them. Doesn't stop me being proud, doesn't stop
me marvelling a master bowyer's bows. And if he gives me tips on tillering, I hang on their every word.

Aloha,

6sc

When I read the original post I thought of my high school pottery teacher's comment to a fellow student. The other student had slapped together some clay and commented that he didn't want to feel constrained by rules and wanted to put together something spontaneously.

The teacher's comment was something to the effect of "If you want to translate what is in your head to a piece of art you have to start by knowing how to control the clay, which means you need to be able to start with a lump of clay on the potter's wheel, then have the ability to throw a cylinder with consistent sides or a bowl that doesn't collapse into a glob. When you can do those things, then you can branch out".

My guess is that Pete doesn't personally care what we are doing in our rooms. He was just giving advice on his ideas of advancing the craft. I didn't take it as warning anyone off from innovation.

I, for one, was happy to see Andrew's post. Like Pete, he is a pro, and I appreciate his remembering what its like to be an amateur starting out. Even newbies should be encouraged to experiment, if only because they (I) will learn from their (my) mistakes. As Harry Chapin once sang, "It's got to be the going, not the getting there that's good." Then again, he died young in a car crash, so take his advice with a large grain of salt.

Top Bottom