Electrifying your uke: Under saddle or piezoelectric transducer?

Faricelli

Reaction score
I am thinking about electrifying my Kamaka and have mixed emotions about either of these. I have heard that some people recommend the internal piezo model for better sound but you need a pre amp. I have a pre amp so this doesn't really matter. I just want something that sounds good.

I use a piezo pickup for my uke; it costs about 5 dollars.

But then again, my uke is very cheap. I would say get a mi-si installed for your beauutiful kamaka.

I get a good sound from a K&K Big Shot stuck to the soundboard. Works great on my mandolin, too. The only problem is that with an instrument made out of thin woods like a uke it really picks up body thumps.

I use the shadow undersaddle ukulele pickup and it sounds great. I was worried about needing a preamp but to this point, I haven't needed one.

I just had 4 of my ukuleles fitted with a pickup (my Kamaka, KoAloha, Boat Paddle, and G-String). I originally had a MiSi put in my Boat Paddle and for the rest I used a Fishman undersaddle ukulele pickup. After getting them all back, the Fishman (even though it is passive) had a greater output than the MiSi (made sure the MiSi was charged up so that wasn't the problem...maybe I got a bum unit). I've since removed the MiSi in my Boat Paddle in favor of another Fishman uke pickup. They sound great and I haven't found I need an external preamp going into my Roland AC-33.

MiSi Acoustic Trio. It's an undersaddle Baggs piezo with MiSi's jack end preamp. Never needs batteries. Well worth the money and the sound is the best piezo I've heard.

For any of you that have installed undersaddle pick-ups, do you think you have lost anything when you play unplugged (tone and or volume) compared to before the pickup was installed??

Top Bottom