volume of the strings

Reaction score
my oscer schmidt concert uke doesn't seem like its loud enough when i play it. it has ghs black strings that came with it when i bought it. It also doesnt stay in tune after about two to three songs. i was thinking that it was because i just got the uke and the strings needed to be broken in or somthing. could it be the strings or are all strings low volume and doesbt stay in tune well. i was thinking about getting some worth strings or should i maybe give the ghs more time more time.

what do you mean? like tighten the tuners alot then loosen them till they are tuned?

I have an Oscar Schmidt concert also (OU-2) with GHS strings and I pretty much have to tune it a little every time I practice. I thought the strings would stabilize after a week or two, but I've had this uke for almost 2 months and it still hasn't, so I guess it probably won't. But, otherwise it sounds ok and it's loud enough for me. HTH

I haven't had any experience with GHS strings, but it shouldn't hurt to stretch them.

Tune your uke, then pull each string away from the fretboard at the 12th fret, one at a time. Pull them away about an inch and a half or so. Just enough to feel a good pull. Don't bounce it, just hold it there for about ten seconds. After you pull a string, retune it, then pull it again.

After 3 or 4 times doing this to each string, you should notice that you don't have to tune it as much anymore. They should get less and less out of tune after every time you pull them. If they don't, then you've got some bad strings.

Dude, that drill/string-winder in Nuke's vid is amazing.

Top Bottom