ToneGard for 'Ukulele

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I was having a ToneGard made for my Kala Acacia Tenor. It was waiting for me yesterday when we returned from out trip and I couldn't be happier.

For those of you that don't know what a ToneGard is, briefly, it's a lightweight structure that is mounted on the back of your instrument ('ukulele, mandolin, guitar, etc.) so that it holds the instrument slightly away from your body, thus not muting out the vibration of the wood from your belly, clothing, etc. Tony makes each one individually based on a tracing of your instrument so it's an exact fit. It's held in place by the pressure of 4 rubber feet, and is also padded from touching at the points on the back. There is no drilling, sticking, or otherwise offending your instrument.

You can find out all about them here...

The ToneGard

Anyways, he did a great job on mine. It's quite functional, and I love the personalization of my initials in the center.

ToneGard.jpg

Does it make much difference?

Beautiful, Kevin! I'm hereby officially jealous....

Someday, when I have a uke that I consider "worthy", I'll buy one of my own. I'm curious....does it interfer with the fit of the uke in it's case?

Beautiful, Kevin! I'm hereby officially jealous....

Someday, when I have a uke that I consider "worthy", I'll buy one of my own. I'm curious....does it interfer with the fit of the uke in it's case?

Thanks...I'm a bit partial to it. :)

The ToneGard itself doesn't interfere with the case, and neither did the arm rest by itself, but with the both of them on there, I had to squish the foam inside the case a bit to mold it to fit over the armrest when it closes.

Nice looking! Mandolin players use them quite a bit with good results. I've noticed on my tenor uke that when I hold it away from my body, it will get louder and a little fuller. Kind of hard to hold it away from your body when standing, but it can be done when sitting. Thus the need for a toneguard.

I just wish they weren't quite so pricey...

Jeff

I mentioned in another thread that I was having a ToneGard made for my Kala Acacia Tenor. It was waiting for me yesterday when we returned from out trip and I couldn't be happier.

For those of you that don't know what a ToneGard is, briefly, it's a lightweight structure that is mounted on the back of your instrument ('ukulele, mandolin, guitar, etc.) so that it holds the instrument slightly away from your body, thus not muting out the vibration of the wood from your belly, clothing, etc. Tony makes each one individually based on a tracing of your instrument so it's an exact fit. It's held in place by the pressure of 4 rubber feet, and is also padded from touching at the points on the back. There is no drilling, sticking, or otherwise offending your instrument.

You can find out all about them here...

The ToneGard

Anyways, he did a great job on mine. It's quite functional, and I love the personalization of my initials in the center.

ToneGard.jpg
Aloha Kevin,
It looks kinda neat with your initials on it, I first noticed and its powdercoated too. HMMM
One thing, it's not made for easy taking it off and putting it on, I guess it's just bent into
place to secure it?? Looks really nice though, is it a noticable weight?? and many thanks for
sharing it with us I appriciate it very much.
MM Stan....

Thanks...I'm a bit partial to it. :)

The ToneGard itself doesn't interfere with the case, and neither did the arm rest by itself, but with the both of them on there, I had to squish the foam inside the case a bit to mold it to fit over the armrest when it closes.

I'm seeing the ToneGard, which I believe to be the structure with your initials built into it, on the back of the uke, but what is the "armrest"? I'm not sure what you mean....

I'm seeing the ToneGard, which I believe to be the structure with your initials built into it, on the back of the uke, but what is the "armrest"? I'm not sure what you mean....

I cut a John Pearse Arm Rest to fit the 'uke. It adheres by a removable adhesive strip that only touches the edge of the instrument, and the rest floats above the soundboard. It keeps your arm from inhibiting the vibration of the top and makes a smoother edge that is more comfortable on the arm. And it does make a big difference in projection, volume, and decay.

Between the armrest and the ToneGard, my 'uke sounds like it was meant to without me dampening it any.

ArmRest.jpg

I see! Is it safe to assume that the armrest you chose is one of the junior sizes? Perhaps in rosewood?

I added a false back to a cheapo Rogue Soprano and it does improve the sound. I put it on with velcro, of course!

Rogue%201.jpg

Rogue%202.jpg

Rogue%203.jpg

It ain't even fancy wood. I got to heart shaped thin wood shapes at a craft store, glued them together with some other thin wood strips and painted away. I got the idea from Ray Shakeshaft (UK).

Last edited:
I think the Tone Guard is a great idea. How much did it cost to get the custom one made? It would be nice if they could make a solution that combined the Tone Guard and the arm rest idea, and make it out of super lightweight materials.
–Lori

I see! Is it safe to assume that the armrest you chose is one of the junior sizes? Perhaps in rosewood?

It is rosewood, but not a junior. That would probably be a better choice but I had a jumbo one sitting around with nothing to put it on so I cut it down.

Top Bottom