Hawaii visit

Garry Petrisic

Reaction score
I will be visiting my favorite part of the planet next week from the 14th to the 25th of July.
Be at the Hilton Hawaiian village for first two days and then on the big island for the following week at Waikaloa. Would be thrilled to meet some builders in Honolulu or any where on the Big Island.
Only just built my first Uke. An arch top. Helped by Bradford.
Hope to see David Hurd if he is still around. Would appreciate some feed back
Regards Garry.

Last edited:
The Hilton Hawaiian village has some nice Hawaiian music in their
lobby lounge....Any plans for you to take tours at the big"K" factories???call ahead..
Have fun and enjoy...Cheers, MM Stan...

If you get a chance (might be hard due to preparation for the Ukulele Festival) try to get a tour at one of the local "K" builders. I've done the tours at Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanile'a and they were all great experiences! Enjoy the HHV -- I'm on my way there myself from the night of the 17th to the 21st. :)

Dear Ahnko.
Thanks for the reply. I was over a few years ago for the Ukulele festival. the talent was awsome! I will be over on the Big Island during the festival. Bad luck. i am sure there will be some lead up to it. Last time there were many participants doing gigs around all the hotels. I am looking forward to being there in spirit.
I am in two minds whether to bring my new Uke with me. Only strung it up on Sunday. cetainly different. Hope to see a lot of Uke players and builders there in the lead up to the 18th.
Kind regards Garry Petrisic.

Thanks Stan.
I hope to see some on the Big Island and maybe get around som during the lead up on the 14th to the 16th. The next week is spent on the Big Island.
I have a KoAloha. This is what inspired me to build my own tenor in arch top form. can be seen on Bradfords thread Building an arch top Uke. Diiferent but sounds great. I have been back and forth to the Islands for the last 30 years and feel more part of them than anywhere I have traveled
Thanks Stan.

Thanks for the reply. I have a KoAloha. This inspired me to build my tenor archtop.
I am always hanging out at some bar or other listening too the tremendous talent that you have there. I am always amazed at the quality of the music. Unfortunately I have a date on the Big island for a week starting on the 16th. Bummer.
Kind regards Garry

Thanks for the reply. I have a KoAloha. This inspired me to build my tenor archtop.
I am always hanging out at some bar or other listening too the tremendous talent that you have there. I am always amazed at the quality of the music. Unfortunately I have a date on the Big island for a week starting on the 16th. Bummer.
Kind regards Garry

Aloha Garry,
Just a thought,
If you walk down the road pass fort Derussy at the first hotel you'll reach
the Reef hotel..where there is a pool side bar with the one of the best
hawaiian music there called Kani ka pila grill.....it's awesome..check it out..

Yes, the Waikiki uke fest is a must. I'll be there.
Re the Big island: David Hurd hasn't been building ukes for quite a while but he'd probably be happy to talk with you. Make sure you call him first. I've put away my lutherie tools and have converted my shop into a cabinet shop for the next month or two but I'd be happy to meet with you as well. Mind you that both David & I are on the other side of the island from where you'll be staying--about three hours away. Have a great trip.

Thanks Chuck,
We have a whole week to do our thing. I have been before but have not been to the top to see the observetories. One of our trips will be there. The three hours drive is only a hop and I will certainly look forward to seeing you. I will be on the big island from the 16th to the 22nd of July. Hope this fits in with your trip to the festival. My tenor uke will take a little time to settle in over the next week or so. I am in two minds whether to bring it along. I am afraid of customs etc. It is good to build something different.
Thanks Heaps.
Garry.

Thanks for the tip. I usually lurk around the bars looking for something special. I usually walk the beach and call into the hotel bars along the way.
You guys are overflowing with talent. That's why I love it so much. Can Not get enough of it.
Thanks again
Garry.

Chuck:

I presume your shop is in or near the Hilo area. We plan on being in Kona in early February for 10 - 14 days and usually make at least one trip to the Hilo side while we are there. Would it be possible to get a tour of your shop and a chance to visit with you if we call ahead and it fits your schedule? Having a chance to meet David Hurd at the same time would be fun. Once you get two or more builders talking the fun never ends.

Konala

Top Bottom