How to divide my time?!

Craig

Reaction score
As of Thursday, I'll be the proud owner of another custom Ko'olau ukulele. I have a beautiful M300 SP (Now called a Delux) that I adore, but will soon have a tenor pineapple. I guess I'll play one until the strings wear out, then switch to the other?...?! I don't know! I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!:confused: However, it's a nice problem to have!

What do you guys to who have more than one, "squeeze"?

Aloha Craig,
Congrats on the new purchase, HMM a pineapple tenor eh.....can't wait
for you to give us the 411 on it...and maybe pic's...I have never owned
a pineapple yet, played a cousins kamaka pineapple a long time ago.
I was thinking about it, and wondered how a pineapple long neck would
be like???Hmmmm I guess to balance the body and neck..... MM Stan...

Aloha Craig,
Congrats on the new purchase, HMM a pineapple tenor eh.....can't wait
for you to give us the 411 on it...and maybe pic's...I have never owned
a pineapple yet, played a cousins kamaka pineapple a long time ago.
I was thinking about it, and wondered how a pineapple long neck would
be like???Hmmmm I guess to balance the body and neck..... MM Stan...

Hey MM Stan,

Just scroll down a couple of posts to, "New Custom Ko'olau Pineapple," and you can see some pics. As far as balance, I play sitting down unless I'm using one of my Flukes while at school (I teach). Both John and Noa know that I'm going after a more classical guitar-like sound....Although I may get reamed by the ukulele purists for this, but it's what I'm into, sound wise.... I'll post a video as soon as the strings and I settle down...;)

Maybe you could tune the pineapple tenor to low-G?

If you only knew!...:) I'm a low G kind'a guy. I keep all my ukuleles tuned to low G. When I need the reentrant, I just change the strings on one of my Fluke or Fleas.

Thanks for the idea though!

Here's how I rotate through mine, generally: One day I play my vintage Martin, the next day, my Mainland Pineapple, and the next my Kala flamed koa soprano (with some variation depending on mood and what kind of music I'm playing). Sometimes I'll pull out more than one of those (sometimes all three) to try different things out on them. Much less frequently, I play my Kala acacia tenor and my Martin S-O (strung with a low G). Once in a while I will pull out my 2 vintage sopranos for a bit. My Maccaferri Islanders are hung up on a wall, so I grab them now and then too (but not all that often... one is a baritone, so I don't play it much). My Flea is sitting on the floor next to my computer desk pretty much all the time, so it's the one I pick up to try to figure something out, unless I have one of the others out for actual practice time. My two concerts rarely get played, although one of them is pretty nice and I SHOULD play it more. They're both laminates (a Kala, and an Oscar Schmidt with a pick-up). My FAVORITE way is to pull them all out and scatter them around the living room and play a different one on each tune (makes me feel like a rock star!), but I can pretty much only do that when my wife isn't going to be home for a while. She doesn't understand...

My FAVORITE way is to pull them all out and scatter them around the living room and play a different one on each tune (makes me feel like a rock star!), but I can pretty much only do that when my wife isn't going to be home for a while. She doesn't understand...

Dude! Just don't step on them while they're on the floor!

I've only got 2 now (with a 3rd on hold down at the music store!) but for me its easy. I work offshore for 6 weeks at a time so I take one with me. Then when I get home I'm so happy to see the other one that I play that til the doors fall off!

Getting into more Low G stuff lately though might put a snag in that plan...

S.

Aloha Chris,
Dude, you've gotta get your wife on the ukulele boat....then maybe she'll understand
you passion a little more.....when her ukulele passion develops maybe she'll give
you more leeway on your ukulele collection, which means you might get the ok to
purchase another uke. Then no sneak playing when she's not home....Gotta teach her how to play man..
MM Stan...

Craig, if you're like me, the problem will work itself out. Some songs will just lend themselves more to one uke than the other. Sometimes it's due to the sound, other times due to different ukes having different action, or strings. I'm guessing, based on the size, shape and the woods, that your new pineapple is going to have a loud, booming low end that might be too much for some songs. But on the other hand, it might add a whole new dimension to some other songs that you never would have heard on your first Ko'olau.

Out of curiousity, did you have them setup the action exactly like your other Ko'olau?

It depends on my mood swings.

You should name your new 'ukulele "the other woman". ;)

As of Thursday, I'll be the proud owner of another custom Ko'olau ukulele. I have a beautiful M300 SP (Now called a Delux) that I adore, but will soon have a tenor pineapple. I guess I'll play one until the strings wear out, then switch to the other?...?! I don't know! I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!:confused: However, it's a nice problem to have!

What do you guys to who have more than one, "squeeze"?

Hey Craig, Nice problem to have indeed! Sure wish I had that problem. You know that pineapple will never get as much playing time as your first love, so just send it my way so you can be sure it will get enough playing time to break it in nicely.

I do like different ukes for different tunes. I do not have a regular rotation. Every once in a while I love to liter the living room and dining room with ukes and play all day. I try to open all the cases at least once a month to make sure things are okay. Then there are the guitars, but let's not go there.
Regards,
Ray

I do like different ukes for different tunes.

I've got a slew of classical or classical-like pieces to learn and eventually record. My intention was to have the pineapple sound a bit more classical guitar like, especially with its top wood, a variant of cedar. Port Orford is supposed to be a mix between spruce and cedar.

Dividing Time

Well, Craig, I have a low-g tenor and a concert, both Kanile'a, and know how sad each one gets if I don't show them equal time and attention. :D So I think, just like with more than one child (or more than one student if you are a teacher like me), it is a good policy to cycle through and spread the love. Actually, I find that the changing probably keeps my finger flexibility and action nice and supple!

That new pineapple is quite lovely and I know you'll coax some wonderful sounds out of it.

Best,

Top Bottom