My First Singing Video (for what THAT'S worth)

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I thought it was time to do another video, and last night I learned this song. So I decided to bite the bullet and attempt to sing. I'm nowhere near as good a singer as Sophie Madeleine (or as pretty, although I ALSO have very stunning hair, or so I've been told). So please be kind.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc2w3FHXh08

Last edited:
Please check your microphone volumes, I just can't hear it clearly. Thanks!

Please check your microphone volumes, I just can't hear it clearly. Thanks!

That's either because I was being kind of timid, or else because I just used the built-in mic in my Mac. Probably because I am not a terribly experienced singer.

For the record, I can hear it pretty well when I play it back on my computer.

I strongly encourage the repeated singing and recording of Sophie Madeleine songs, and I think you did a great job. Keep up the nice work!

BTW, I could hear it just fine on my computer.

I strongly encourage the repeated singing and recording of Sophie Madeleine songs, and I think you did a great job. Keep up the nice work!

BTW, I could hear it just fine on my computer.

Thank you! I love that little song. I'm glad the volume is adequate.

Hehe, I have to say I was a little worried when someone called "msvocalcoach" subscribed to my Youtube channel less than 30 minutes after I posted that video. I thought "Wow, was I THAT bad???".

Great job!!
Volume was perfect.

Hehe, I have to say I was a little worried when someone called "msvocalcoach" subscribed to my Youtube channel less than 30 minutes after I posted that video. I thought "Wow, was I THAT bad???".

:biglaugh:Nice job Chris! That Martin sure sounds sweet.

Regards,
Ray

Great job, I can imagine how hard it was to for you to sing, I couldn't pluck up the courage on my vids so I just played instrumentles, so hats of to you.

Great job, I can imagine how hard it was to for you to sing, I couldn't pluck up the courage on my vids so I just played instrumentles, so hats of to you.

When I was in High School back in around '82, I played bass in a band with some friends of mine. We were sort of a Christian Heavy Metal band, before there really WAS much of that kind of thing. We sounded quite a lot like Iron Maiden, actually, only we hadn't heard Maiden yet then. One day, the singer said "You guys should all sing back up on this part", so we tried it. Then he said "Ok, everyone but Chris should sing back up on this part". So for several years I thought I couldn't sing at all.
When I was in college, the drummer from that band lived downstairs from me in an old house converted into apartments (he and I are still friends to this day). At this time, I had sold my bass gear and just had an acoustic guitar. I was really into British Folk/Rock music like Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Richard Thompson, etc (which I had discovered through an early love of Jethro Tull). So there I was figuring out how to play "John Barleycorn Must Die" (the Steeleye Span version, not the Traffic version). I heard Bob (my drummer friend) come up the stairs and knock. He said "Wow, you CAN sing!". That made me feel better, and soon I was singing and playing guitar quite a bit.
Singing and playing BASS, however, was always a lot more challenging. But when I joined a country band a few years back, the singer wanted me to try singing harmony. I didn't think I could, but we worked it out (and I listened to a TON of Beatles music, which helped a lot!), and before long I could find harmony parts nearly instantly. That band broke up a few years ago and I got out of practice at ANY singing. But a few months ago, the country band reformed (with a couple of personnel changes), and as of last night, I am back to being the chief backing vocalist. It felt pretty good last night to be able to hit the harmonies I hadn't done in several years. I was a teeny bit flat on some of the higher notes, and ran out of breath on some of the long phrases, but I think it will come along.
So thank you for the encouraging words!

Sounds good to me!

JJ

Top Bottom