Potential Source for Spanish Cedar (Any Interest?)

Dominator

Reaction score
Many of you are probably already familiar with Steve Schaefer over at http://www.curlykoa.com/ . A couple of months back or so he sent out an email to his registered members asking if there were any other products he could provide his customers. I asked if he could provide Spanish cedar neck stock in the 3x3x18 chunks (like Chuck uses) which would yield two one piece necks.

Steve contacted me the other day and has located a source but the investment would be significant and he says I’m the only one to ever make such a request. I told him I thought there would be others interested and would check here to get a pulse on the issue.

So, are there others in the US looking for a source of SC that would yield single piece necks? Let me know so I can report back. You could also email him direct from his website also.

I would be extremely interested! Especially quality stuff, and quarter sawn. Steve is great to do business with, too. I should be getting a package from him today!

US only? Aw schucks. I would be interested.

Sven, Northern shore of Assend.

Sven,
The reason I said US is that I was assuming the freight outside the US would be too costly. I just looked at the website and he does ship Internationally.

It doesn't matter if it's quatersawn and it's highly unlikely you'll find a wide board that is. When I order my Spanish cedar it almost always comes flat sawn. Because I cut it into 3" X 3" bolts I can orient the grain any way I choose. The 12/4 planks I buy are generally 9" to 14" wide and run 12' to 14' long and will run me $200 to $300. That's a big hunk of wood with a lot of necks in it. I buy it from a retailer here locally.
I don't know if Gilmer Woods has it but they are an excellent wood dealer that supplies a lot of guitar builders.

I use African cedar. Cost is $5 bd ft in the UK - I select quartersawn and buy about $200 at a time. Yields about 60 necks. It is less dense than Spanish and doesn't 'bleed' like Spanish can. All the best with this one. And Sven, want some Cedar? Get in touch.

Steve has placed an order and will let me know when it arrives. He has not set a price yet. Says it depends on how much waste he ends up with.

I'll be interested.

Top Bottom