Ukulele Armrest/Soundboard Protection

70sSanO

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the surface of the upper back soundboard where I normally place my forearm was not as smooth as it once was. There seemed to be a light checking or grain lifting in the area. I wipe down my ukuleles after use and keep them in cases; I’m sure it is caused by the sweat from my arm.

I rubbed the area out and polished it with some Martin guitar polish and it seems to look fine now. With summer temperatures and high humidity, I’m concerned that the problem will only continue to come back

It has gotten me thinking about trying to protect that area with some sort of an armrest, similar to those used on mandolins and guitars.

There is a recent thread on using a tone guard cage and an armrest to improve tone, but I don’t think I want a permanently attached armrest… they are a little funky looking.

Anyone use an armrest on a ukulele or have a better solution for this problem.

Thanks!

John

I rubbed the area out and polished it with some Martin guitar polish and it seems to look fine now. With summer temperatures and high humidity, I’m concerned that the problem will only continue to come back

It will if you play a lot. Garrens.

I have never seen an armrest for the 'ukulele. I wouldn't worry about it personally. It's kind of a battle scar thing for me (my uke's more beat up den yaws!), but if any sort of ding bugs you then maybe somebody else has seen a guard.

Remember you got a uke to play it not display it.

You answered your own question...polish the area and it will bring the finish back...auto or guitar polish will get the same results

Anyone use an armrest on a ukulele or have a better solution for this problem?

Thanks!
I've got effectively an opposite problem that may require a similar solution. I often wear baggy-sleeved tops that can muffle the strings at the bridge if I'm plucking/strumming/picking nearer to the end of the neck than the bridge. I've been thinking of some kind of assembly that'll keep my clothing off the strings. I use the obvious solutions, changing my picking position, pulling my sleeves tight before I start, etc., but things move as I'm playing and eventually the notes often go quiet, then thunky and muffled.

Any ideas (or proven solutions) would be appreciated ... maybe I should try re-launching a fashion trend and get one of those elasticated arm-bands men used to wear to keep their shirt-cuffs clean ;)

I haven't looked at the finish on mine, but I don't play outside much as of yet, and haven't been in hot situations where I sweat a lot.

Keeping it wiped and polished sounds like a good way to go. The arm sock thing sounds good, but I would worry about the arm being too smooth to hold the uke correctly. I guess with a strap that wouldn't be much of an issue. Even a sock will create friction, and over time, make a difference in the finish.

As for the other post on fluffy sleeves, I would either push them way up or use a very small piece of elastic to hold them at by while you play. You would probably have to adjust them between songs if you are moving around. Orrrrr... You could even do a guitar sock over the sleeve and it would contain all the fluff in the sock. It would mean adding another layer on your arm, though.

I have a "ukulele armrest" bought from ebay. It included double sided adhesive tape to stick on the uke. I tried once and never like it, so I took it off.

The other members have said it well, don't let it take away the fun of playing.

DSC_3178.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom