Playing around with the Zoom Q3

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just want to drop by to share my experiment with the Zoom Q3. I just bought this camera today and seriuosuly, it's a very cool toy!!!!! hahahah!!! :)

Well, for sure, you should not expect to get stunning video quality since it's it the goal of the machine. So you have standard video quality but where it's very different from other portable camera is the quality of the microphones of the unit!!

I think it's pretty close to the Zoom H2 in term of sonic quality, just maybe less tuning options.

Anyway, so just to see what it sounds and look like, I just shoot a little clip. It's based on craig brandau's tab.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5makP0zHJk

Last edited:
I'm playing with classical strings switching from D'Addario T2 and Oasis. On this one, I play with Oasis strings. The low G is the 4th string of Luthier 30.

thanks

I own some cameras and the Zoom H4. ANd I do play with video editing software.

Both the sound and video are good. It looks like a good investment for you.

Ukuleleblues wrote:
Looks and sounds good, much better than I thought the camera would do. Very nice song and performance also. I want one.

Hey thanks a lot for your kind words. You're right, I was also surprise by the quality of the camera. I was expecting that the image would be much more pixelate and more noise than that but finally I found that for youtube and website, it's all good.... I mean, it would be great if it was in HD but I think it's already a very good ackage that Zoom brought here.

Well, the real great thing is that it can really reproduce the sound of your uke efficiently and the extra is that you can have video with it!! And all this not spending too much!!!

By the way, I forgot to mention that the clip is taking directly from the camera, there's no post production there...no effects added or whatever....

thanks

I also have the Q3 and have been very happy with it.

Bao, thanks for sharing this...your MP tenor sounds amazing! Makes me even more excited to get mine!

Nice demo. Thanks for doing it. I have access to my son's H4 anytime I want it (he never uses it), but I am tied to my computer for video and it would be nice to be able to record a video with good sound and not have to synch everything later. I am lazy, so I usually just default to my webcam with built in crappy mic for the whole thing and let the sound suffer. These things are getting so inexpensive, its getting harder not to buy one.

So, what kind of investment are we talking about here? How much $$$?

Nice demo. Thanks for doing it. I have access to my son's H4 anytime I want it (he never uses it), but I am tied to my computer for video and it would be nice to be able to record a video with good sound and not have to synch everything later. I am lazy, so I usually just default to my webcam with built in crappy mic for the whole thing and let the sound suffer. These things are getting so inexpensive, its getting harder not to buy one.

I use my H4 as the audio interface (mic) on my computer. My Logitech webcam recognizes it, and everything works smoothly.

I use my H4 as the audio interface (mic) on my computer. My Logitech webcam recognizes it, and everything works smoothly.

I do that with the H4 and my Logitech, as well, but I usually record with my laptop, which I am always moving around, taking on business trips etc. It gets to be a hassle plugging and unplugging all those cords sometimes. I usually have the Logitech 9000 handy, since I use it with Skype. The H4 moves around a lot too since I don't own it.

I have the zoom Q3 and found the gate very disapointing are you using the limiter as is made very choppy volumes between loud and soft playing when i used it Great for recoeding a heavy metal band or without the gate limiter but that I found to be a big problem with it

MGM wrote:
I have the zoom Q3 and found the gate very disapointing are you using the limiter as is made very choppy volumes between loud and soft playing when i used it Great for recoeding a heavy metal band or without the gate limiter but that I found to be a big problem with it

Hi Mike! I only use the low filter and I use the auto gain. Since I just get it, I didn't play much with it. But what I observe, is that the mic is very sensitive to positioning and sometimes just moving it a little bit can make huge difference in the sound.

So far I really like it,but if only I can add a little reverb ibn the sound, that would be nice!!! I think the sound might sound dry sometimes....but ok...I'm picky here I think because for the price and what it can do, it's already awesome!!

uke5417 wrote:

H uke5417.... I know that's another alternative but I think it's really nice to be able to handle just your camera and record wherever you want rather than to have your H4 then a computer. etc...Ok....maybe I'm a lazy guy!!!! heheheheh!!!

Nuprin wrote:
Bao, thanks for sharing this...your MP tenor sounds amazing! Makes me even more excited to get mine!

Hi Nuprin!!! i think my MP Negra is getting better and better, for sure it sounds better than when I received it.. But I think you can hear that it has lots of volume and bottom end is very nice on it!

What wood combo did you choose finally for your custom MP tenor??

So, what kind of investment are we talking about here? How much $$$?
An e-bay seller named unique_squared_inc has them for 199 free shipping with a 2 GB and extras like a 8 GB, case, tripod, I bought a H2 package from them a while back, no problems.

MGM wrote: Hi Nuprin!!! i think my MP Negra is getting better and better, for sure it sounds better than when I received it.. But I think you can hear that it has lots of volume and bottom end is very nice on it!

What wood combo did you choose finally for your custom MP tenor??

Not to hi-jack the thread but this is what I've worked out with Mike thus far:

Tenor
Spruce top, koa back & sides
Slotted headstock
Koa rosette
Koa custom fretmarkers
Maple binding
5 piece mahogany neck (maple center w/2 thin black pinstripes)
Maple butt wedge

I'm hoping that this is a finalized list...I keep thinking of other things I want to add and Mike has been very accommodating with me. His customer service really is above and beyond!

Nuprin wrote:
Tenor
Spruce top, koa back & sides
Slotted headstock
Koa rosette
Koa custom fretmarkers
Maple binding
5 piece mahogany neck (maple center w/2 thin black pinstripes)
Maple butt wedge

I'm hoping that this is a finalized list...I keep thinking of other things I want to add and Mike has been very accommodating with me. His customer service really is above and beyond!

Oh yeah, I remember now, you finally choose to go with the spruce top-koa combo. I'm sure you will like it. I'll try to make a little of my spruce top-koa that he build for me so you can see and hear the difference when I'll a few minutes to do it.

Hey, is the sound of my clip sound different from the sample that Mike send to you when he just finish my uke?? You have to know that I'm not playing with the same strings that Mike strung it when he did the sound sample too.

Yeah, in your video the highs and lows are definitely clearer. In Mike's sound clip there's more mid-range (especially the low-mids).

Nuprin wrote:
Yeah, in your video the highs and lows are definitely clearer. In Mike's sound clip there's more mid-range (especially the low-mids).

Yeah, that's why I always say that you can,t really rely on Mike's sound clip to judge his uke!! Actually, I'll send to him a few sound samples of the ukes he build for me so he can get some decent sound samples to let people hear when they ask for some!!!

Top Bottom