PDA

View Full Version : Playing uke in traffic

Uke Republic
07-06-2010, 06:37 PM
They passed a law here in Ga that no texting behind the wheel.Not a bad idea but I may get in trouble for playing uke behind the wheel. I only do it when stopped . Anyone else guilty?

happyslappysoong
07-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I once jammed to Europe's Final Countdown on uke at a really long traffic light intersection cos i had it playing in my stereo. best! lol

salukulady
07-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Of course, what else is there to do at stoplights? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eB6O0xHY0&has_verified=1

mds725
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but as a cyclist I often notice that drivers who do stuff like texting (haven't seen an ukulele player yet) at red lights frequently pull into traffic when the light turns green without first observing the situation around them, which often includes cyclists who have the right of way but are vulnerable to drivers who didn't see them get there. So my request would be that whatever you do that isn't watching traffic and changes in circumstances while the light's red, please look around when the light turns green before moving. Thanks!

salukulady
07-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but as a cyclist I often notice that drivers who do stuff like texting (haven't seen an ukulele player yet) at red lights frequently pull into traffic when the light turns green without first observing the situation around them, which often includes cyclists who have the right of way but are vulnerable to drivers who didn't see them get there. So my request would be that whatever you do that isn't watching traffic and changes in circumstances while the light's red, please look around when the light turns green before moving. Thanks!Please note on Victoria Vox's vid you must be 18 to view it for the same reasons.....go figure.

Brewerpaul
07-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Uke is great, but when you drive, DRIVE. There are enough distractions on the road without adding any more to the mix.

Skitzic
07-07-2010, 01:41 AM
I saw an awesome church sign the other day.

Honk if you love Jesus, text and drive if you want to meet him.

If I ever get the desire to go to church...it will be that one. In winter they had a sign up that said 'Think warm thoughts, and whoever is praying for snow can stop now' right after the huge blizzard we had.

Anyway, I hope this was said in jest...but either way I am staying away from Atlanta. :p

Mandarb
07-07-2010, 04:19 AM
I saw an awesome church sign the other day.

Honk if you love Jesus, text and drive if you want to meet him.

:p

My favorite sign at a church was "This is your sign from God".

Uke Republic
07-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Speaking of signs and autos, my Father owned a Car Dealership and on the wall it said "Best way to get on your feet, miss two car payments." also " Every car sold here was sold new originally." I will stop now. Perhaps it's best to only play while at drive thrus

hoosierhiver
07-07-2010, 04:56 AM
I used to keep a beater on the dash of my truck for awhile.
I wish they would outlaw cellphone driving here, it's terrible.

haole
07-07-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm not coordinated enough to eat while driving, let alone play ukulele. But the traffic here is ridiculous and it's not uncommon to run into a situation so bad that you can shut off the engine for a couple minutes. That's when I uke in the car.

salukulady
07-07-2010, 05:29 AM
I wish they would outlaw cellphone driving here, it's terrible.Yeah I hate it when my cellphone takes my car for a spin......

mailman
07-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Of course, what else is there to do at stoplights? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eB6O0xHY0&has_verified=1

Jeez, I love Victoria Vox; have all of her CDs and play them all the time....but every time I see this video it just pisses me off. What a stupid, selfish, irresponsible stunt to pull.... :mad:

SailingUke
07-07-2010, 05:54 AM

They passed a cell phone law here in CA, but it did little to discourage cell phone use while driving.
I have played uke while STOPPED in traffic on an LA Freeway. Road rage is a common event and the ukulele seems to make other drivers smile.
Wonder if anyone is working on a bluetooth/hands free ukulele?

Jerlial Prophet
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I've played in the car. Granted it was in the passenger seat and was in a parking lot. My wife ran into the store to pick something up and I was playing for the kids. Of course they were yelling for me to stop after a few minutes. I guess this doesn't count.

GrumpyOldMan
07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
My favorite sign at a church was "This is your sign from God".
My favourite church signs are always the ones that say "Closed due to lack of interest" lol.

I too am a Cyclist (Iin UK) and agree that motorists stopped at red lights are dangerous enough as it is. I cycle to work every day and despite my town having an extensive network of cycle lanes I take my life in my hands every single day. People regularly turn across cycle lanes without indicating or drive right along the cycle lanes. I could go on.

I would probably go to the extent that if I did see someone playing Uke at the wheel, even of a stationery car at a junction, I would report them. (unless they gave me their Uke that is!).

Ian.

UKISOCIETY
07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm unsubbing Boozelele.

salukulady
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm unsubbing Boozelele.??? ?

ukecantdothat
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
The second thread I started here, last year, called "Driving Under The Influence (of a uke)" or something like that, got me into a world of hurt because I was opposed to this. As a newbie, I used some harsh words in my criticism of such practices, and apologized for it, but I stand by my beliefs. As a recent victim of a stroke, I can't tell you how lucky I feel to be here at all, and implore anybody who plays while the vehicle is in danger of causing risk to life and limb, either your own or others', to reconsider. It ain't worth it.

UKISOCIETY
07-08-2010, 10:05 AM
??? ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NiCyD36Mhw

I do it when stopped or in sloooooow traffic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUGJZWx3mY

salukulady
07-08-2010, 10:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUGJZWx3mYHe may be driving faster but his song is only two chords while yours was more AND included fancy picking.

bnicholas26
07-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I do this when all the new yorkers jam up i95 in CT on a friday afternoon.

arw
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
They passed a law here in Ga that no texting behind the wheel.Not a bad idea but I may get in trouble for playing uke behind the wheel. I only do it when stopped . Anyone else guilty?

On the same day, they also passed a law that if you hit a bear with your car in Georgia, you can now keep it.

salukulady
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
On the same day, they also passed a law that if you hit a bear with your car in Georgia, you can now keep it.Somebody tell Jeepers, he'll be right down.

itsme
07-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Uke is great, but when you drive, DRIVE. There are enough distractions on the road without adding any more to the mix.
Amen. Even if you're only playing at a red light, you're distracted from seeing when it turns green or at least having to put it down.

Cali and some others already outlaw it. Just a matter of time.

Oh, you can use a "hands-free" device here but not hold a cell to your ear or text while driving.

Mim
07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
On my way to NAMM somewhere in the mountains the traffic stopped, and I learned the Sopranino is the perfect car-uke :)! But traffic started moving and it got set down after that! But yes, guilty in stand-still traffic!

didgeridoo2
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I will take a uke with me in the car when I have a meeting to get to. Here in LA, I find it easier to leave a little extra time and I do sometimes get to my destination early, so I'll find a good parking spot and play until I have my meeting. Going up and down canyon roads seems a little too dangerous to play whilst driving, but I'd want to have a uke for those rare freeway parking lot scenes.

mds725
07-08-2010, 08:59 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUGJZWx3mY

I love your videos and I'm sure you're a decent person, but that was a dumb thing to do.

SailQwest
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I play while I have the boat's autopilot on. Or sometimes when it's not. But it's a 46' sailboat, not a car!

ukecantdothat
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I play while I have the boat's autopilot on. Or sometimes when it's not. But it's a 46' sailboat, not a car!

I'm jealous! :nana:

ukecantdothat
07-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Somebody tell Jeepers, he'll be right down.You are dangerously close to 8000 posts, Sally! :nana:

Thumper
07-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Driving while uking = the ultimate combination of dumb + selfish.

Sorry. But I pray I'm never on the same road as those of you who think this is cool. Particularly if you're dividing your attention even further, by adding the operation of a video camera to the mix.

Sheesh.

haolejohn
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Well I play uke while I ride my motorcycle:)

haolejohn
07-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm kidding about bike and uke. But seriously, what is wrong with playing your uke in stopped traffic or at a red light? As long as you put the uke down or stop playing it before you start to drive again? Don't use the distraction as an excuse. It is no different than talking to a passenger while driving. I understand the foolishness of playing a uke while moving but at a stand still? I'd rather pass a car with a driver uking than one speeding.

Jerlial Prophet
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd rather pass a car with a driver uking than one speeding.

If you don't like passing speeders, maybe you should slow down. Sorry, just couldn't help it.

haolejohn
07-10-2010, 06:52 PM
If you don't like passing speeders, maybe you should slow down. Sorry, just couldn't help it.

Opposite direction:)
Not going to lie. I used to have a very heavy lead foot (16 speeding tickets in my first 10 years of driving) but once I got a motorcycle I have since stopped speeding. Saftey becomes more of a concern when there is no metal frame around you.

haolejohn
07-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Are there any fuel truck (gasoline, propane, diesel oil) or nuclear waste truck drivers out therer that play their uke while driving...just curious?

not that i know of. But i do see them talking on cell phones all the time.

mds725
07-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Don't use the distraction as an excuse. It is no different than talking to a passenger while driving. I understand the foolishness of playing a uke while moving but at a stand still? I'd rather pass a car with a driver uking than one speeding.

Um, I can talk to a passenger without having to remove my hands from the wheel? Even when a car is not moving, having control of the car is important. Take it from someone who has been rear-ended while stopped at a light and had to instantly navigate away from the car stopped in front of me.

GrumpyOldMan
07-11-2010, 08:57 AM
In the UK it is illegal to use a mobile phone (cell phone:rolleyes:) in your car while the engine is running. So even if you pull into a layby you still have to stop the engine. My guess is that that would also apply to playing a Ukulele.
For goodness sake stop being so unbelievably selfish and grow up!!! It is a terrible idea to play a Ukulele at the wheel of a vehicle at any time whilst you are in charge of the vehicle and if you can't see that then I cannot see how you got your license in the first place.

And you Americans wonder why the rest of the world hate you, jeez.

didgeridoo2
07-11-2010, 09:31 AM
And you Americans wonder why the rest of the world hate you, jeez.

The world hates us because a few people play uke in the car? Interesting...

Ukulele JJ
07-11-2010, 10:38 AM
My prediction: Threadlock by post #50.

JJ

mailman
07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
My prediction: Threadlock by post #50.

JJ

Just as well, IMHO....

Mim
07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Locked by post #50, eh? Then we better get the ball rolling and kick it up a notch...

I like to drive in 75 MPH rush hour traffic, playing the uke, steering with one foot, texting with the toes on my other foot (because I am using cruise control... duh), with my bass pumping, my kids unbuckled dancing on the back seat, eating a Pizza, at night, with sunglasses on, and too-dark tinted windows, with a parking ticket under my wiper blades, Ukulele related bumper stickers blocking my field of vision out the back window... and I taught my baby to flip the bird out the window to whoever honks at me...

Let the flaming begin! We only have 7 more posts to go!!!

* (Need... to ... stop... taking... 5... Hour... Energy... before... posting) Yes John, I copied you... because you are awesome!

mailman
07-11-2010, 01:09 PM
What, mim....no beer?

Mim
07-11-2010, 02:26 PM
What, mim....no beer?

Oh, I forgot to tell you about my alcohol consumption....I am too classy for a plain old beer... while playing the uke I was chewing on the worm from the bottom of a bottle of tequilla I just finished off!

Anything else I missed... oh yeah, while playing I had my lit "roach" wedged between the strings on the head of my uke!

Oh, and did I mention it was an Ele? So it was plugged into my Line 6 in my passenger seat and I would reach over and change the effects between lane changes. And did you know I have a pet parrot that sits on my amp and squaks along with the music.

Ok, 5 more posts to go to get it locked... anything I am missing?

* For the record, I have never partaken in any of these activies, well, I do mess around with the Line 6 from time to time. And no parrots were harmed in the making of this post :)!

Mim
07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh, and did I mention that I was driving south to the gulf coast to throw a few marine birds, turtle eggs, and puppies into the water...

* Too much?... too soon?...

Now... THAT... might lock it!!!

Ukuleleblues
07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey Mim,

You and your Charlotte ukers needs to make a road trip to the Uketoberfest Jam On October 16th. http://www.charlestonhotshots.com/uketoberfest PM me about a "Swap/Sell table".

clayton56
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
people have told me to go play in traffic, and they never heard me play the ukulele, either.

Uke Republic
07-12-2010, 02:42 AM
people have told me to go play in traffic, and they never heard me play the ukulele, either.

classic!!!

StereoJoker
07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
I've played my ukulele on the highway, going 70 MPH!

But see, I wasn't driving, just being the in-vehicle entertainment since the stereo system was broken :D.

Mim
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Steriojoker... you are so offensive I demand we lock this thread now!!!!!

We got past #50... I tried to do my part in locking the thread, but alas this community is WAY too civil!

That is how I got my first "War-wound" on my Kala... pulled it out in the car to bug my husband... got a ding in the finish.

Chris Tarman
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Not to be a wet blanket, but as a cyclist I often notice that drivers who do stuff like texting (haven't seen an ukulele player yet) at red lights frequently pull into traffic when the light turns green without first observing the situation around them, which often includes cyclists who have the right of way but are vulnerable to drivers who didn't see them get there. So my request would be that whatever you do that isn't watching traffic and changes in circumstances while the light's red, please look around when the light turns green before moving. Thanks!

As a cyclist also, I would like to second that motion!

phanzo
07-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Yea I almost always keep a uke in my car for that exact reason. I drive on the 101 A LOT to and from work and I need something to keep me entertained. In fact, the 2 ukes that I rotate as car ukes came from none other than Michael McQueeny aka UkeRepublic....go figure :)

haolejohn
07-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Yea I almost always keep a uke in my car for that exact reason. I drive on the 101 A LOT to and from work and I need something to keep me entertained. In fact, the 2 ukes that I rotate as car ukes came from none other than Michael McQueeny aka UkeRepublic....go figure :)

I saw mike once playing the uke on his vespa:)

I understand the logic of playing the uke while the car is moving but stopped?
I don't understand the harm in that. Wouldn't this be less of a distraction as changing radio station or looking at the GPS or changing CD or playlist on the MP3 player. I mean who seriously keeps their hands at the 10 and 2 position looking in the rear-view mirror for a possible rear end? I have never played the uke while in a moving vehicle but I have played in a stopped vehicle. Since Feb I have been motorcycle only. I miss playing the uke at traffic lights.

StereoJoker
07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Steriojoker... you are so offensive I demand we lock this thread now!!!!!

That is how I got my first "War-wound" on my Kala... pulled it out in the car to bug my husband... got a ding in the finish.

I have a tag that I'm forced to wear by law that says "WARNING: OFFENSIVE CREATURE. DO NOT PROVOKE."

Those battle scars are the best because they're proof that you strum around all the time!

I think the absolute worst thing to do is try to play the theremin while driving. Just sayin'.

haolejohn
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I passed a bus today and the driver was doing a strum and sing along with the kids:)

Ukulele JJ
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Well dang. Nostradamus I ain't.

JJ

haolejohn
07-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Well dang. Nostradamus I ain't.

JJ

I'm surprised though. But then again all the detractors are staying away.

GrumpyOldMan
07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Someone should point George Bush this way. He's been looking for Weapons of Mass Destruction for years and never found any (surprise!!). He was looking in the wrong place (just like everyone was trying to tell him), he should have been looking for cars with Ukulele players at the wheel!
Whichever way you look at it it's a daft idea and perhaps the thread should actually have been locked before anyone took it seriously.

salukulady
07-13-2010, 01:21 PM
......but that's what keeps it fun,.....and I love your use of the word, daft. Very cool.

GrumpyOldMan
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
.....and I love your use of the word, daft. Very cool.
Is it? Blimey!

Thumper
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm too busy clubbing baby seals with my uke to have time to play it while driving.

Chris Tarman
07-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Is it? Blimey!

I say! That's a spiffing bit of stuff, what what?