PDA

View Full Version : How Many UUers are in Bands?

blizz79
07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Im new to the board and was just wondering how many UU'ers are in bands, whether you play uke in the band or not?

Ill start!

I play upright bass in a band called Rojos Calientes (www.rojoscalientes.com). We call our genera of music "Latin Grass".

lernon
07-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm in two bands :D

One with no name yet, i play keyboard.
and the other named Arguably Jesus, I play uke! :)

It's great playing music together isn't it?

happyslappysoong
07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm in two bands. My heavy screamo band i play bass in is called the Understatement. www.myspace.com/theunderstatementrock

I also play in an acoustic trio playing original progressive instrumental music. Here's one of our songs

3.13 for Uke shred solo. hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzZjqWuxMOs

I love music!

salukulady
07-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm in a band. The Barefoot Wahines. We're an all women tropical rock band that specializes in Hawaiian music. I play uke, flute and steel drums. Myspace link in my sig.

farmerboy
07-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I play uke and accordion in a balkan band called Baksheesh. Melodeon, guitar and whistle in a Irish band called Tabuka. Accordion and melodica in a Klezmer band and electric bass in a Punk Rock cover band. I also teach classes at festivals occasionally etc in the school holidays and weekends on Melodeon and Accordion and play for European folk dance groups when invited, all over Europe and the UK.

At work we have a ukulele orchestra, ukulele group (60 in the school altogether), Samba Band, Rock School, Ceilidh Band and Ska Band. I also occasionally sing with the choir and play bass in the swing band.

KevinV
07-06-2010, 11:53 PM
I play 'uke and sing in The Phil Schneider Trio (http://pstrio.com/photos/) (even though there's 4 of us now).

Chris Tarman
07-07-2010, 02:03 AM
I play uke and accordion in a balkan band called Baksheesh. Melodeon, guitar and whistle in a Irish band called Tabuka. Accordion and melodica in a Klezmer band and electric bass in a Punk Rock cover band. I also teach classes at festivals occasionally etc in the school holidays and weekends on Melodeon and Accordion and play for European folk dance groups when invited, all over Europe and the UK.

At work we have a ukulele orchestra, ukulele group (60 in the school altogether), Samba Band, Rock School, Ceilidh Band and Ska Band. I also occasionally sing with the choir and play bass in the swing band.

When do you have time to WORK???

Chris Tarman
07-07-2010, 02:03 AM
I play 'uke and sing in The Phil Schneider Trio (http://pstrio.com/photos/) (even though there's 4 of us now).

Kind of like the 4th book in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy?

Chris Tarman
07-07-2010, 02:07 AM
I play bass in a country (and some rock) band, which is kind of amusing to me since I don't really LISTEN to country and have never heard the original versions of most of the songs we do. We gig about once a month. I play bass and uke (on only one song so far) in a weird eclectic rock band called "The Stupid Band". They've been together for about 25 years, but I've been with them for about 7. We do a whopping TWO gigs a year (Halloween and Earth Day). I used to play in a couple of others as well, but only on bass.

Pinebaron
07-07-2010, 02:19 AM
I play in a little garage band. Play the uke. Mainly we have lots of fun playing old jazz blues songs.

telebob
07-07-2010, 02:35 AM
I've played in country and rock bands since the 70s. Most recently (last year) I was playing lead guitar and doing vocals in a folk/rock trio, performing cover songs ranging from Steve Earle to Robert Earl Keen, from the Beach Boys to the Beatles, from Hank Williams Sr. to Hank Williams Jr., and from U2 to Steppenwolf. An eclectic mix of musicalities!!

I play at open mics in Nashville when I'm in town, doing original songs in solo performance but in a round of writers.

I'm not playing the uke in a band, but I look forward to doing so when the opportunity arises. I'm performing 3 songs solo on the ukulele in a Beatles tribute - with 10 other artists and bands - at a local Borders store this weekend.

kissing
07-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I play uke in my christian club band at uni.
Usually with my Risa Les Paul tenor :)

harpdog
07-07-2010, 03:20 AM
2 bands and I use ukulele in both - but mainly guitar. One is an acoustic duo playing beer gardens and festivals,
the other is a church group ranging from electric guitars with drums to uke to acoustic to classical guitar.

haole
07-07-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm in a two-piece experimental instrumental "band" called Pokey & Skeeter. When we have other people jam with us, we're Pokey & Skeeter & Friends. Between the two of us, we play everything (guitar, bass, drums, ukulele, sequencing, etc). We have commitment issues.

poopylungstuffing
07-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I have been in bands since I was 15..I kick myself for not having a uke back in the days when I was just a lead singer...it would have done a whole lot for my sanity. Also, though I can technically play guitar and bass, I am not very good at it..
Um..howyousay...
I am in a band called Organ Failure where I play the uke..
http://www.organfailure.org
We are a sort of "outsider" comedy band...
I wish there were other musicians willing to work with me..but due to my reputation of being a bit of a nutbag, I seldom get the opportunity..

UncleElvis
07-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I am a back-up" singer (not to be confused with a backup singer who sings harmonies... I'm the dude they call when they need an extra set) in a cover band and will be doing some solo stuff with a guitarist/bass player pretty soon...

and, with the help of my friends on the UUMinijams (which I HIGHLY recommend!), I'll be playing my ukulele pretty soon!

ukecantdothat
07-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm in a band called Three Hour Tour, playing nothing but uke. Originally I was asked to play guitar in it, but I had other ideas... We consist of steel drum, bass, percussion, and of course uke. When budgets are tight we just have the uke and steel drum, with prerecorded drums (real drums, not a machine...) and bass. Right now we're playing all summer at the San Diego Zoo with steel drum, bass, uke, and drum tracks, because they wouldn't spring for the drummer! Times are tight for The Zoo these days. Actually, since I'm in L.A., I can only make it down on mostly weekends, but there are some fine players subbing for me when I'm not there. It's a blast. We do four half-hour sets and pass out hula hoops to the kids. then in the last two songs in of each set there's a contest. The kids eat it up! We play right at the entrance at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, & 7pm. In between sets we throw it over to a stage across from us where they do amazing 10 min. paintings of animals, called Splash Animals. More fun than I've ever had in any other band I was ever in, by far! I'll be there this weekend if anyone is around the San Diego area.

Chris Tarman
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm in a band called Three Hour Tour, playing nothing but uke. Originally I was asked to play guitar in it, but I had other ideas... We consist of steel drum, bass, percussion, and of course uke. When budgets are tight we just have the uke and steel drum, with prerecorded drums (real drums, not a machine...) and bass. Right now we're playing all summer at the San Diego Zoo with steel drum, bass, uke, and drum tracks, because they wouldn't spring for the drummer! Times are tight for The Zoo these days. Actually, since I'm in L.A., I can only make it down on mostly weekends, but there are some fine players subbing for me when I'm not there. It's a blast. We do four half-hour sets and pass out hula hoops to the kids. then in the last two songs in of each set there's a contest. The kids eat it up! We play right at the entrance at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, & 7pm. In between sets we throw it over to a stage across from us where they do amazing 10 min. paintings of animals, called Splash Animals. More fun than I've ever had in any other band I was ever in, by far! I'll be there this weekend if anyone is around the San Diego area.

That is a really cool sounding gig! It reminds me of something I read about Steve Martin getting his start juggling and playing banjo at Disney Land, or possibly Disney WORLD... or possibly some other theme park... maybe Six Flags, since he's originally from Texas and that's where the original Six Flags was.

Ukuleleblues
07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Charleston Hot Shots

www.charlestonhotshots.com

Ron
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Is two people a band?
Play uke and kazoo and sing in The Ukes of Hazard> We're a uke duo in Nelson, New Zealand. Lots of country and some other stuff...and one original.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Ukes-of-Hazard/108257862542018?ref=ts

Bipolar Joe
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I have a noise and experimental project called Bipolar Joe, all terrible noises and too many distortions.

I'm also in a group with a bunch of guys from varios death metal, grindcore and noise bands, like a small time super-group, called The Disapointments, so called because people see us expecting loud sounds and metal and noise and horrible things, and instead get a bunch of straight covers of pop songs from the eighties and nineties. I've been learning a bunch of songs on the ukulele, so hopefully I'll be able to add it to the set!

Fstpicker
07-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I play rhythm and lead acoustic guitar in a contemporary local folk band called "Somethin' Else" that a friend and I originated 4-5 years
previously. We have about 6 members total in the band now. I haven't started to play a ukulele in the band yet, but when the right song comes along, I would like to try it out.

I have also played the acoustic guitar at my church in our contemporary Praise band for the past 9 years.

Jeff

mealfrog41
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
I play ukulele in Mealfrog.

www.mealfrog.com

uke552
07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Cool thread! Neat to see so many music styles united by the uke! Also, a lot of bass players who also play uke. I played bass back in high school (years ago...) and just recently bought one (learning it all over again). Must be the "4 string" thing...

farmerboy
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I try to avoid it!

paraclete
07-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Wow! Great to see all the variety!

I play fiddle and guitar and sometimes uke in the duo Paraclete. My partner plays uke and guitar. I also play electric bass on one of the worship teams at my church.... currently only bass, but I've played both acoustic rhythm and lead/rhythm electric guitar for worship teams in the past.

dans003
08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
whether you play uke in the band or not?
thanks for saying that, otherwise id have felt left out!
i play keys in a big band, and am in the process of trying to start another band, hopefully incorparating uke, piano and bass into it!

jbm
08-03-2010, 02:37 AM
I play resonator guitar (aka dobro) in a bluegrass band, Home Cookin' in New Jersey.

sukie
08-03-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm in an Ukulele Orchestra. It's all ukulele all the time.

blizz79
08-03-2010, 09:29 AM
I play resonator guitar (aka dobro) in a bluegrass band, Home Cookin' in New Jersey.

Small World! You guys are close to home. I grew up in Estell Manor, NJ. I saw you guys played Bay Day earlyer this summer. I have not thought about bay days in a long time. My dad worked in Bivavle for about 15 years. He worked on a couple of tall ships.

Jake DPR
08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I play bass in a reggae rock band, DPR. Our page is linked in my sig

Ron
08-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Is two people a band?
Play uke and kazoo and sing in The Ukes of Hazard> We're a uke duo in Nelson, New Zealand. Lots of country and some other stuff...and one original.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Ukes-of-Hazard/108257862542018?ref=ts

Two originals, now!

rjamesak
08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't think there were any "not in a band" responses.
Here's one. I'm not in a band. Was in THE band for a couple years in school, but now I just play for my own enjoyment. I would, however, definitely like to meet up and start playing with others. For the motivation, practice, and the challenge.

SweetWaterBlue
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I am not sure I would want to be in any band that would have me.

SailingUke
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I am in a ukulele band "Flea Dog Night".

Shandygaff550
08-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I play mandolin in two bands, bass in one and guitar in one. Am waiting to spring the uke at the right time, with the right group....maybe in the wedding duo first? Perhaps I should work on Canon in D .....right after Shiek of Araby!
Band names: Front Porch Gliders, Anchored, Blue Creek Bluegrass and Heart Strings.

Howlin Hobbit
08-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I am in a ukulele band "Flea Dog Night".
Best. Uke band. Name. Ever!

I play ukulele and harmonica as well as lots of vocals in Snake Suspenderz.

I play washboard, ukulele and harmonica as well as some vocals in the Emerald City Jug Band.

Fuzzy
08-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I play drums in a rock/punk band. Mostly originals, but we do punk versions of "She Loves You" by The Beatles and Buck Owens' "Tiger by the Tail", as well.
We recently added an acoustic set where I get to play and sing two of my original songs on the uke. It's quite a different experience than hiding behind the drum kit, for sure!

cheekmeat
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
I am in two bands:

ElvisBride (www.elvisbride.com) is a 7-piece herky-jerky folk-rockish group with banjo, cello, keyboards drums multiple vocalists and me on uke, trombone and vox. I love it there. The keyboard player started out hounding me to play guitar, but I made it clear that not only did I not want to play guitar, I didn't want to be in the band if there was guitar. I think it gives us a unique sound. We could use bass, though.

I am also in a band called The Crooked Mouth String Band. It's a five-piece that does not play string band music. I am on acoustic guitar, and vox with occasional uke. The rest is drums banjo piano accordian, and everyone on vox.

Good Times!

Is it me, or is it rare for someone to be in only one band?

Yer Luvin',
--Troy
Chicago, IL USA

jddennis
08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't actually play in a band at the moment, per se, at the moment. But I am the live audio engineer for a group called In Media Res. They're the house band for our church, The Firewall (http://thefirewall.org/index.htm). You can hear one of their originals streaming on myspace (http://www.myspace.com/thefirewallmtzion).

I have been a guest session player with them on occasion. They've had a few times when they needed a ukulele for an acoustic night and/or island-themed sets, so I occasionally get a call. I've got together on a couple different occasions with some of the band to do more jam-based sets, too. Several of us are big Grateful Dead and Phish fans, so that kind of influence gets worked in on occasion as well.

Previously, I've played guitar in a couple of jazz groups. My sister and I used to do a piano/guitar/vocal set, but that's been defunct for a bit now. Also, I used to play as a classical soloist and a classical guitar trio. John King and Lyle Ritz were real strong gateways into me picking up the ukulele.

byjimini
08-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I play uke in two bands; one is a folk, the other a folk/punk.

brickerenator
08-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Children's Ministry worship band

Though we only started the admin process a few weeks ago, so technically we haven't formed yet.

But, I'll be doing lead vocals, acoustic, electric guitar and bass, and possibly the uke.

trptuke
08-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Not in a band, but I play the trumpet professionally in symphony orchestras, musical theater, church gigs, weddings, big bands etc. I'd love to start a traditional jazz orchestra (think Louis Armstrong more than, say, Miles Davis) where I could play trumpet and uke. Got to find the right musicians though.

dans003
08-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Got to find the right musicians though.
thats the trouble

appleuke
08-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I plan to play the ukulele in a band sometime in the future!
if that counts...

salukulady
08-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Those of you that are in bands, my band has had a lot of leads this summer from gigsalad.com. You can pay $12 for better coverage, but we just registered for the free level and have got lots of leads and several gigs from it. Check it out.

Chris Tarman
08-08-2010, 12:45 PM
I play ukulele in Mealfrog.

www.mealfrog.com

I just checked out your website and I REALLY like the music. Wow. I REALLY like it. "Dancing in the Rain" was the track I heard. Very nice.

fumanii
08-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I play guitar in a cover band and an original metal band. I have been playing uke more for music licensing and surprisingly the songs I play uke on get licensed out the most.