FS: Kanilea K3 Custom 8 string Tenor LEFT HANDED

jimmybookout

Reaction score
All,

SOLD
I need to clear some cap room for another ukulele, please take the moment to look at my lefty Kanilea, offered for sale:

1. Ukulele was built for me in 2004. It is built as a left handed instrument (side dots located properly, saddle/nut intonated correctly, etc)
2. Woods used: Top/back/sides are curly Mango. Neck is Mahogany (peghead faced in curly Mango). Binding is curly Koa. Fingerboard and bridge are ebony
3. Tuners are gold Grovers with faux pearl buttons, 4 on a plate
4. Rosette is single course Abalone
5. Fretboard dots and side markers are abalone
6. Electronics were installed when the ukulele was built. Pickup is a McIntyre Feather, preamp is a L.R. Baggs Micro EQ (volume/treble/bass controls, 9V battery. 1500 hour battery life)
7. Strung with Aquila strings
8. Comes with the original hardshell case (great condition)
9. How does it sound? Acoustically, the ukulele is very broad and rich, Joe and I talked a lot about wood choices on this ukulele and decided on Mango. Mango errs on the side of warmth, tonally, which an 8 string needs, IMO. This ukulele is very sweet with none of the "jangle/tingle" (Leo Kottke's phrase for describing bad 12 string guitars!) It is also has a BIG voice. Plugged in, the McIntyre Feather (sound board transducer) is a great pickup for an ukulele (my Kanilea Super Concert has one also), it is as natural as a pickup can be and very balanced. The Baggs preamp allows you to plug direct into an acoustic amp or P.A.

I would put the condition of the ukulele at excellent ++, there are no scratches, dings, cracks, etc, it literally looks brand new. The ukulele is on ebay for $999 Buy it now, the starting price is $899. Free shipping to the lower 48. Here is the link to the ebay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320564591077&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Please PM or post any questions or look at the ad, which has more info than presented here.

Jimmy

Some pics for your dining and dancing enjoyment

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Picture092.jpg

And just for fun, my Kanilea family shot, left to right: K3 Super Concert, G6, and the K3 Custom 8 string that's for sale

Picture031.jpg

Last edited:
hi i have a few questions. Can you restring this uke to a right hand and will it still sound good? And also can you restring it with only 4 strings, and how well will it play?

hi i have a few questions. Can you restring this uke to a right hand and will it still sound good? And also can you restring it with only 4 strings, and how well will it play?

You shouldn't re-string it righty because the on-board preamp (look at the first photo) would be sticking into your leg. I suppose you could remove the preamp but then you would have a large hole in the waist of the instrument. As far as stringing an 8 string to 4 strings, I'm sure that can be done as well, but to me, you're just better off getting a right handed 4 string Kanilea. There are 7 Kanileas on ebay as I type this (including mine), in particular, a beautiful Curly Mango Tenor 4 string, with nicer wood then mine.

Jimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom