I signed up for a beginner uke class...

JumpingPulgas

Reaction score
here in Thousand Oaks, CA where I live. It's one of those classes in our local parks and recreations. There's twelve of us in class and I'm the only guy besides the instructor....unfortunately, the women are a lot older than I am...hehehe. Oh well, I already paid for it, so I guess I gotta stick to it. We learned the C and G7 chords today...hehehe. I was hoping to meet other uke players in the area that I can jam with. Man, I wish I live in San Diego, up north or even in Hawaii....hehehe. I hope I can find a more intermediate class in the future.

Yeah hopefully we can get these online lessons rolling soon. We just gotta clear everyone's schedules. How much did those lessons cost btw?

Be sure to spread the Ukulele Underground word. :D

The class cost $52. It's an hour a week for 8 weeks. I think I need an intermediate class though, so I'm really looking forward to Aldrine's online lessons.

i enrolled in the beginner uke class here on oahu at leeward community college. gotta say, its really beginner cuz my kumu (teacher in hawaiian haha) asked me if i knew certain chords and i already knew up to chapter 6 out of 10! it seems like a fun class, and i think i could learn more just from taking aldrine's lessons, but i think the class forces me to experience stage performance and getting myself to sing and play at the same time so thats a good thing about it.... idk if its really worth it tho haha.

on a side note, should i stick with it or drop the class and get a refund? i dont need the credits and only during certain semesters are there intermediate classes. the deadline for 100% refunds is this friday so hopefully i'll be able to decide by then. btw, its $126 O_O

Last edited:
Hey tripl3thr33, you know, I was enrolled in that same class at LCC. I bought the "text book" at noon, thumbed through it, and dropped the class two hours before it started...If you do decide to stay with it though, I'd be really interested in hearing how much you think you learned from it.

I was debating keeping the class on my schedule on the off chance that I actually learn something...but after seeing how far the book goes and how long the semester is...I think I'd lose my mind.

Hey tripl3thr33, you know, I was enrolled in that same class at LCC. I bought the "text book" at noon, thumbed through it, and dropped the class two hours before it started...If you do decide to stay with it though, I'd be really interested in hearing how much you think you learned from it.

I was debating keeping the class on my schedule on the off chance that I actually learn something...but after seeing how far the book goes and how long the semester is...I think I'd lose my mind.

ya i was thinking of dropping it when i looked at the book but i kinda wanted to get into the intermediate class if there was one in the following semesters. but i guess im staying in the class, theres lotsa other people who've had more experience than me and taking it so ya..... its pretty fun tho. doubt i'll be learning much...

here in aussie its hard to find ukulele teachers. So they charge $60 an hour.. So i can only learn ukulele from you guys i suppose, honestly i prefer it aswell because u can play better than the teacher anyways :)

These are both in the north county San Diego area but maybe they will be of assistance for someone...

MiraCosta College
Community Services
One Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056
760-795-6820

Learning Ukulele the Hawaiian Way [400009]

Tuesday, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM; 6 sessions starting January 29, 2008, ending March 4, 2008
Class cost $62
Instructor: Franklin Leong
Important: A $9 materials fee will be collected

Ukulele Solo Songs [400010]

Thursday, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM; 6 sessions starting January 31, 2008, ending March 6, 2008
Class cost $62 Instructor: Franklin Leong
Important: A $9 materials fee will be collected

Los Angeles, Ca

i think here in lakewood, CA I think the city offers a class. its one of those park type classes, alot cheaper than a city college and about the same learning in less time.

we also have our local shop lessons too. but those get pricey.

Top Bottom