Played my first open mic tonight...

Nuprin

Reaction score
A friend of mine runs an open mic every Wednesday here in town. He convinced me to do a 3-song set. I played Going to California, Thriller, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I was really nervous as I had never played anything other than drumset in front of others. Had a couple small mistakes but generally it went really well. Got a huge applause for Thriller.

The bartender approached me after the set and suggested I give their manager a call about setting up a Thursday or Friday show! Really excited...I just need to come up with more songs to fill out a full set.

How cool is that! Keep us posted and good luck.

you should play "the lengths" by The Black Keys. im not sure how comfortable you are with singing though. i translated some guitar tabs and playedit on my uke, its sounds pretty amazing.

Congrats on the successful open mic gig. Always know the audience doesn't want you to fail, so they will accept an honest performance, mistakes and all, over pompous showboating. Your selected tunes were an excellent choice to showcase your skills and songs on the ukulele.

Keep at it as it gets easier over time and additional performances. I usually try to rehearse the entire planned show a couple times in the week before I play in front of an audience. Record it, and play it back to see where ya need to polish. Bottom line: always have fun! :)

Congrats man! You should be proud!

Very cool!

Awesom! Gotta love open mics. You meet so many players, make so many contacts, and ocasionaly get a gig or two out of it. A solo uke show sure would be nerve wracking. With drums, at least you have somthing to hide behind when the audiance starts thowing stuff. Theres no hiding behind a uke

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone! I have about 45 minutes of instrumentals under my belt. I'd need about an hour and a half if I were to double book the gig (I've got some friends who could fill out the other half). So, either I learn more instrumentals or I work in some songs with vocals (which is another nerve-racking experience!). I'll keep you all updated once I book the show.

Congratulations! Here's hoping it's the first of very many performances. :)

Cool one brah!!!

Congrats brah!!!! It's a door to merely infinite possibilities. As far for suggestions maybe you should do a "Beatles" theme night and maybe get the crowd interact with you. Then you wont have to worry about doing the vocals all the time. Just a thought.:cool:

Top Bottom