Change of strings

Jaid0gz

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am using a Kohala Lanikai Ukulele, Model Number KU212 (Soprano sized) and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to change from the nylon strings currently installed to a steel/galvanized string. What would be the advantages or disadvantages in both sound and feel? Would they be compatible? I want to learn heaps of cool songs with this ukulele including I want you back by the jackson 5 :p.

NO! Absolutely not!!!!!

Steel strings are Uke killers. They're not designed to withstand that sort of tension.

aahk thought so, thats what i got told so i just wanted to ask around before i did anything drastic. Are there any specific ukes which are designed for the tension of steel strings?

No, not really. They're really two different kinds of instruments. You might find a 1/4 size steel string "kids" guitar and convert it by replacing the nut and redrilling the bridge, but it wouldn't exactly be a Uke.

There are special "Steel Strings" with less tension, designed for classical Guitar. "Thomastik rope core" for example. They worked good for me on a Banjolele, a Roundback Baritone and a Johnson Resonator. The Tension is still a bit higher than with nylon strings and it is not really the steel sound. Those strings are a compromise in any way. If your Uke is solid build you might give it a try. But use it on your own risk. There are rumours of popped off bridges on classical guitars although the tension is much lower than with "real" steel.

There are special "Steel Strings" with less tension, designed for classical Guitar. "Thomastik rope core" for example... There are rumours of popped off bridges on classical guitars although the tension is much lower than with "real" steel.
Oh, heavens, I would never, ever use any steel strings on a classical guitar.

They're not really "steel" but I've used them. Brightens up the sound with very little added tension. Made for things like vintage instruments that are too delicate for anything else.

Oh, heavens, I would never, ever use any steel strings on a classical guitar.

Well these Strings are made especially for that purpose. For me they worked very well. Gave a special Folk-Sound to the Ukes.

I liked them too. Pretty fragile though. Broke two sets without even trying. At almost $20 a set, got too expensive after a while.

Top Bottom