my papa's boxes cigar box ukulele is done!

russ_buss

Reaction score
hey all, just wanted to share some pics of my new cigar box ukulele that i built from a kit. it was fairly simple to assemble but lots of fun to do. the soundhole idea was because my wife and i are obsessed with our dog and we incorporate his likeness in everything we do. just crazy...

picture.php

boxy ya?

picture.php

inside can be used for stashing things:D

picture.php

the ohana

there are a couple more pics of the building process in this album:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=14

got the kit from here: www.papasboxes.com

it's not very loud but pretty neat looking. the cigar box is pretty thick so maybe it doesn't resonate well.

thanks guys! and yup, jigsaw and dremel.

picture.php

the cigar box was ordered along with the kit. $5 for the box:)

Wow, I had no idea you were so handy. Great job, dude! Video time, methinks. :)

You did a great job on that soundhole! Nothing wrong with incorporating doggie things into designs. We do that when we get the chance. My husband made this originally all in vector graphics for a Windows Mobile smartphone wallet progam. It's a vector graphics version of Pixie, and for extra difficulty he didn't just convert a photo. There's no photo of her like that and yet that's her.

People who love their dogs rule! You made that uke a whole box of awesome. :nana:

Attachments

• Pixie_mine.jpg
    Pixie_mine.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 8
Wow, I had no idea you were so handy. Great job, dude! Video time, methinks. :)

me thinks you're right! i'm on it!

You did a great job on that soundhole! Nothing wrong with incorporating doggie things into designs. We do that when we get the chance. My husband made this originally all in vector graphics for a Windows Mobile smartphone wallet progam. It's a vector graphics version of Pixie, and for extra difficulty he didn't just convert a photo. There's no photo of her like that and yet that's her.

People who love their dogs rule! You made that uke a whole box of awesome. :nana:

that's very cool! if i had the skills, i'd computerize my dog as well. but i'll have to settle for snapping a ridiculous amount of photos instead. my wife and i bust out our cell phones to show people photos of our dog all the time. no kids, ya see.;)

Awesome Russ!! Can't wait to see it at the next Bay Area meet up! Great job on the soundhole.
:music:

Can we expect a cameo of your doggie in the vid?

it's not very loud but pretty neat looking. the cigar box is pretty thick so maybe it doesn't resonate well.

I have always thought that if I built a cigar box uke (and it is on the "wish list") I would find a shop with a belt sander wide enough to do the whole side at once. Then I'd just lay the side of the box in it that was to be the face of the uke and, with liberal applications of "bit of sanding, measure with the calipers, bit more of sanding, etc." I'd get it down to the right thickness.

On the other paw, I'd love a Papa's Box, loud or not. They're very hip. It could always sub as my electric (also on the "wish list") with just a quick visit to K&K Sound for a hotspot pickup.

Of course, in a perfect world, I would be able to afford a Hooch-a-lele.

(Can you say, "Hobbit, the roving party." boys and girls? I knew you could!)

Last edited:
pupulele006.jpg

He (or she) looks like a singer...

me thinks you're right! i'm on it!

that's very cool! if i had the skills, i'd computerize my dog as well. but i'll have to settle for snapping a ridiculous amount of photos instead. my wife and i bust out our cell phones to show people photos of our dog all the time. no kids, ya see.;)

Yeah, we don't need kids, we have a dachshund. She LOVES kids though. When Pixie learns to talk, that's what she'll ask about. She's more motherly than I am.

We do the same thing. Luckily since the breeder is a friend, she'll be the last person to mind.

There was a guy with a Papa's Box at the uke jam, but somehow I never could weasel it into my hands.

well... This thread has pretty much guarenteed I am going to be investing 150 in a tenor kit... Awesome job!!!

She looks worried and concerned about these things. She wants to have a talk with you about this uke business. ;)

So in response, here's what Pixie thinks about what's on tv. Notice how when she notices she's caught, she kinda goes "I wasn't doing anything, I was just walking over here. See?" She actually watches tv. So does her sister.

Either that, or your dog has a hidden agenda and is actually a part of the anti-Fluke/Flea lobby. ;)

Oh my, that was just too cute. That tail can't hide her feelings!

wow that thing is super duper fly, i might want to do a summer project outta this one.

I have always thought that if I built a cigar box uke (and it is on the "wish list") I would find a shop with a belt sander wide enough to do the whole side at once. Then I'd just lay the side of the box in it that was to be the face of the uke and, with liberal applications of "bit of sanding, measure with the calipers, bit more of sanding, etc." I'd get it down to the right thickness.

On the other paw, I'd love a Papa's Box, loud or not. They're very hip. It could always sub as my electric (also on the "wish list") with just a quick visit to K&K Sound for a hotspot pickup.

Of course, in a perfect world, I would be able to afford a Hooch-a-lele.

(Can you say, "Hobbit, the roving party." boys and girls? I knew you could!)

that hootchulele is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!

Top Bottom