Instrument identification...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Right, I'm gonna sound really naive but there is an instrument out there that I have always enjoyed the sound of. I saw one on T.V. a while back and decided then that I'd get one. I still haven't managd to find out what is yet though. Its an Asian/Indian instrument and it has that very destinctive Bollywood sort of "plunky" sound. I saw one being played on something, perhaps Jools Holland and to memeory it is quite a small string instrument, maybe no bigger than a concert uke. Not sure how many strings but its driving me mad! Any ideas what I'm on about, because I don't even know!...

The classic Indian instrument that springs to mind is the sitar. check out the master, Ravi Shankar, on youtube.

The bowl is around a concert uke size -though the whole instrument is as long as a base guitar. I've played one. the strings float over curved raised frets (no fret board) - and there is a course of 13 resonating strings (all tuned to C) which are below (you don't pluck them -they just wail).

6sc

The erhu has a single string, but is bowed. The Tumbi is a single string often too and is a similar sound. Try JAS musicals on a search and see if there's one on there.

Or even an Ektara or Gopichand

I did a search and it may be a Diddley Bow.

il_430xN.5934662.jpg

I think it is played like a slide...

... one thing for sure is you better be able to play up the neck.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom