PDA

View Full Version : Uke with guitar-ish tone?

iDavid
07-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Which ukes do you think have a more round guitar like tone. I know throwing a Low-g on a tenor goes a long way, but that isn't really what I am wondering.

I am thinking more of build and tone woods.

Melissa82
07-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Mainland! ....

haole
07-09-2010, 04:46 AM
I'd look into a guitar. ;)

Maybe something with a spruce top and mahogany or rosewood back + sides. Throw some classical guitar strings on it and you've almost got it.

kissing
07-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Well, i suppose it's less to do with woods, but the size of the body.
Guitars are made with the same range of woods ukes can be made of.

The bigger the body, the more guitary.
Obviously a baritone uke, which can be tuned in gcea or dgbe

GaryC1968
07-09-2010, 05:10 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?32811-3-Baritone-Ukes-compared

This video compares 3 different baritone ukes and gives a good idea of how different the sounds of the 3 are. If you are looking for a guitar sound, the baritone size is going to come closest.

specialmike
07-09-2010, 05:24 AM
put a low G on a baritone size uke, you'll get the bottom four strings of a guitar. However, you will never get the two bass string sounds.

Lori
07-09-2010, 05:52 AM
My Kala Tenor Mango with low G is leaning toward the guitar sound more than my other ukes.
–Lori

Raygf
07-09-2010, 06:11 AM
About a week or so ago I played through my tenors trying to decide which one would sound best with low G. I decided on the spruce top Kala thinline tenor. I now have Freemont Black Line Low G strings on it. Here it is a quick clip where I compared it to my Kala acacia tenor.
Regards,
Ray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZq5oyyB4hc

LoMa
07-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Oddly enough, my Larrivee spruce & mahogany soprano uke sounds the most guitarish of any uke I have or ever have had... The tonal palette, dynamics, and its hint of darkness all contribute to that I think. I have it strung in Aquilas with a low G. More sustain and a lot of depth of tone.

I have an all koa Larrivee soprano though that sounds much more uke-ish, but stiill has a touch of guitar to it in terms of its depth of tone with lots of overtones and dominant tones.

Both Larrivee's are in the permanent herd. Neither of these ukes are plunky in sound, instead they tend more towards sustain and overtones rather than punch with a rapid decay.

I've played LoPrinzi's, Collings, Kiwaya's, Guild's, KoAloha's, Kanilea's, Martin's, Mele's, Ohana's, Makai's, Bushman Jenny's, Kelii's, Pete Howlett's, plus others, and they all sounded much more ukey regardless of whether they were baritones, tenors, concerts, or sopranos...

I appreciate ukey ukes and guitarish ukes and I own ukes with all sorts of flavors.
My goal is to slim down though... two soprano ukes for the office (one re-entrant and one lowG - a Kelii and a LoPrinzi soprano),
the two Larrivee sopranos for home,
one concert or another soprano but with 14 frets to the body with a sweet and very balanced tone across all the strings,
one tenor (possibly the upcoming carbon Blackbird travel uke which appears to have a unique and powerful voice),
plus one more soprano uke (probably my Ohana spruce top) for traveling and the beach - a knock around uke, so to speak.

All of them are or will be strung with low G except the koa Larrivee and the Kelii.

I've given up on baritones as they tend to be so boomy.

As you can probably tell, I'm still refining what my permanent herd should be - I want the different ukes to complement but contrast in tone.

cletus
07-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Ray, interesting contrasts. The thinline sounds GOOD. Thanks!

Paul December
07-09-2010, 08:33 AM
About a week or so ago I played through my tenors trying to decide which one would sound best with low G. I decided on the spruce top Kala thinline tenor. I now have Freemont Black Line Low G strings on it. Here it is a quick clip where I compared it to my Kala acacia tenor.
Regards,
Ray

The thinline sounds much better than I expected.
BTW - What song is that you are playing?

Raygf
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
The thinline sounds much better than I expected.
BTW - What song is that you are playing?

The tune is Moonglow.
Regards,
Ray

fumanshu
07-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I tend to believe that MP ukulele sounds guitarish.... Well that's what people use to say when I play with my Madagascar Rosewood spruce top tenor. I think it might sound more guitarish than let say Koaloha! You can check the little clip that I did and let me know if you find it guitarish or not... When I play this song on my Kanile,a it doesn't sound like that at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxoE8MBCMQ

Thanks

NatalieS
07-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I've heard that rosewood ukes with cedar top can sound very guitar-like (for instance, Pono's new tenor). If you got that then tuned it either low-G or DGBE (baritone tuning) I think that'd be pretty darn close. Here's a video sample of one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINp5j2WBlg

70sSanO
07-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I have heard some LoPrinzi ukuleles that really have that guitar sound. That would be where I'd look first.

Here is a good example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRedlYDGaRY&feature=related

Also, you probabaly won't find any sopranos with the guitarish sound, I would imagine no smaller than a tenor.

John

Ukulele Dude
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Craig yet on this one. He must be too busy fondling his new Ko'olau, which was pretty much built for someone looking for a guitarish sound. It's rosewood and port orford cedar.

Lori
07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Here's a link to my Kala Tenor Mango video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8pqfEuQw8&NR=1
–Lori

pulelehua
07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Just from reading this thread, it would seem that the dominant themes are:

1. Spruce or Cedar top
2. Large body (Tenor or Baritone)
3. Low G

Which all makes sense, as ukuleles are traditionally one wood, small bodied, with high-G. So the three above factors tend to undo the ukuleliness of the instrument.

SweetWaterBlue
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Here's a link to my Kala Tenor Mango video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j8pqfEuQw8&NR=1
–Lori

Not to hijack the thread, but that video does the best job I have ever seen of showing the action of both hands and a rolling tab. What more could anyone trying to learn the song ask?

SweetWaterBlue
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
David - I was looking for something else when I came across this thread today. You might find it interesting with regard to the guitar'ish sound and some ukes to do just that.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23592-Uke-that-sounds-like-a-classical-guitar

a bit more about the Compass Rose tenor here:

http://uketalk.com/reviews/compass-rose.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUW9GDm2Iyc

I'm guessing a Compass Rose baritone with Low G might sound interesting, but I don't think he makes one.

Tom Allard's old Martin baritone sounds about as much like a guitar as any uke I have heard. Absolutely beautiful instrument:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqQAdkMZlg

and then, there is the Giannini baritone played here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5zJYS7KeE&feature=related

baritones, baritones, baritones, with low Gs...get my vote here for the best guitarish sounding ukes.

iDavid
07-09-2010, 03:51 PM
The input you guys give is amazing. I am not looking for a baritone, but I may end up with a low-g tenor.

I love the MP and the Pono clips. I've already spoken with Mike and he seems like a real stand up kind of guy. Don't get my wrong, I adore my KoAloha, but am looking for something on the other end of the scale. My first uke was a baritone which I should sell, because it does not get played. Great uke, but I don't dig the guitar tuning. And yes, I did try the high gcea set on it, but wasn't what I was looking for. The Lopriniz is nice also.

iDavid
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I tend to believe that MP ukulele sounds guitarish.... Well that's what people use to say when I play with my Madagascar Rosewood spruce top tenor. I think it might sound more guitarish than let say Koaloha! You can check the little clip that I did and let me know if you find it guitarish or not... When I play this song on my Kanile,a it doesn't sound like that at all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZxoE8MBCMQ

Thanks

So impressed with the MP.

Do you gave any clips or videos with you strumming that uke?

fumanshu
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
iDavid wrote:
So impressed with the MP.

Do you gave any clips or videos with you strumming that uke?

Hi David, Good to hear that you like my MP tenor. At least you can hear and see how it sounds. I don't have any clip of it when I strum, but it's quite a huge sound!!! If I have some time, I'll make just a little clip so you can hear the sounds of it when I'm strumming it.

I think that a MP tenor would be a good alternative if you want something different from your Koaloha. I do own a Koaloha Pikake Concert like you and I really like it. It's actually the only production uke I would keep since I like it so much, but the ukes that I pick everyday are my 3 tenor MP custom ukes.

And if you want something that sound guitarish, I think Mike's tenor uke definitely sound guitarish to my ears specially when you strung it in low G.

Look for a spruce top with Indian Rosewood or Madagascar Rosewood or Koa and you will get something very similar to the sound of my uke in the clip...if you like that kind of sound of course!!!

Hope that can help you.

Thanks

luvdat
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Love the guitarish sound of my LU-21TE esp. with Hilos and a D'Addario wound low g!!! I guess that's the way soprano lovers feel when they get it "right": as in sounds just like a little banjo.

I also love sopranos...

MGM
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
without a doubt Compass roses by Rick Turner

luvdat
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
The input you guys give is amazing. I am not looking for a baritone, but I may end up with a low-g tenor.

I love the MP and the Pono clips. I've already spoken with Mike and he seems like a real stand up kind of guy. Don't get my wrong, I adore my KoAloha, but am looking for something on the other end of the scale. My first uke was a baritone which I should sell, because it does not get played. Great uke, but I don't dig the guitar tuning. And yes, I did try the high gcea set on it, but wasn't what I was looking for. The Lopriniz is nice also.

iDavid, can't predict but I think once you go low g with a tenor you won't go back...

iDavid
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Are are the specs on the MP's you have?

Could you make a video with all of them? With all your spare time.. lol

There are not many videos of his ukes on youtube, btw

iDavid
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I tried low-g on my Mainland tenor and didn't care for it...

Perhaps on a different Uke, or maybe I should give it another go

iDavid
07-09-2010, 05:08 PM
without a doubt Compass roses by Rick Turner

Are getting any of these soon?

Lori
07-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but that video does the best job I have ever seen of showing the action of both hands and a rolling tab. What more could anyone trying to learn the song ask?
Thanks! It was difficult to shoot, because I had to lean back while playing to keep my head out of the way. Kind of uncomfortable, but I was happy with the results.
–Lori

clayton56
07-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I would say the "ukey" or island sound comes from harder wood like mahogany or koa, "guitary" would come from a softer wood like spruce or cedar.

luvdat
07-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I tried low-g on my Mainland tenor and didn't care for it...

Perhaps on a different Uke, or maybe I should give it another go

David, speaking a bit facetiously about low g...yes, it's not really the answer to everyone's prayers...though for some it could be.

iDavid
07-11-2010, 11:27 PM
David, speaking a bit facetiously about low g...yes, it's not really the answer to everyone's prayers...though for some it could be.

I'm going to give it another go in the next few days. I've been listening to a bunch of clips and I like way to many tenors..... lol

luvdat
07-11-2010, 11:40 PM
I've come to the conclusion that if we're talking uke plus vocals (solo or even duo) it doesn't make a whole lot of difference...except maybe for an entire audience of ukers? Sure certain chords sound better either way...there's the more "guitarish thing"...I think you can exploit the benefits and even the deficits of each to your own ends, esp. with vocals. Going against the grain with vocals and either tuning can actually work IMO. The "incompleteness" thing that Jake S. talks about here and there is a good thing and can be found or even deliberately sought in either tuning.

rasputinsghost
07-13-2010, 06:59 AM
I just threw a low-g onto my Mainland tenor and I really, really like it. I know you don't but give it another shot? hah

Pueo
07-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I just thought I would share two things:
My Pono Koa Tenor is strung with low G, and it does have a guitar-y sound when I play guitar-y songs. I also really liked the Ko`olau gold strings with both lower strings wound, that were on it when I bought it, and I have tried other low-G sets and nothing sounded as good as the Ko`olau golds on that uke. The trouble is, on no fewer than THREE occasions, I opened up my case and found a snapped E or A string after just a couple of weeks when it was strung with Golds. So no more Golds. I recently just bought D'Addario Pro Arte J71 Tenor strings, and strung them with the the A string as A, High G as E, E as C, and C as low G (Iz style). My wife loves the sound, I love the sound, very mellow and I think the new way for me to go Low G. It also maintans that guitar vibe, but not as high-strung (I couldn't resist!).

To get back to this thread, I was playing "Space Oddity" and "Watching the Wheels" recently at a party and a guy came over and said, "Hey that guitar sounds nice." "Thanks, it's an ukulele, actually..." So there you go.

luvdat
07-13-2010, 12:58 PM
What I got playing a tenor in low g from some guy who stopped to talk (I was at the NJ shore with my wife) was this: "Is that a speciality instrument?" Fine with me.

mealfrog41
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Pueo;413777][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I just thought I would share two things:
My Pono Koa Tenor is strung with low G, and it does have a guitar-y sound when I play guitar-y songs. I also really liked the Ko`olau gold strings with both lower strings wound, that were on it when I bought it, and I have tried other low-G sets and nothing sounded as good as the Ko`olau golds on that uke. The trouble is, on no fewer than THREE occasions, I opened up my case and found a snapped E or A string after just a couple of weeks when it was strung with Golds. So no more Golds. I recently just bought D'Addario Pro Arte J71 Tenor strings, and strung them with the the A string as A, High G as E, E as C, and C as low G (Iz style). My wife loves the sound, I love the sound, very mellow and I think the new way for me to go Low G. It also maintans that guitar vibe, but not as high-strung (I couldn't resist!).

Very interesting, I've never heard of this.

iDavid
07-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I just threw a low-g onto my Mainland tenor and I really, really like it. I know you don't but give it another shot? hah

I'm playing on giving it another go tonight. The mainland is a great uke, but it just doesn't seem on par with the KoAloha and that maybe the real problem here.

luvdat
07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=Pueo;413777][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I just thought I would share two things:

Very interesting, I've never heard of this.

My wife also prefers low g on my tenor!!!

mm stan
07-14-2010, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=mealfrog41;414373]

My wife also prefers low g on my tenor!!!

High G string set...
tenor uke in low G tuning
For G string he used the C string and tuned it low
For the C string, he used the E string
For the E string he used the G string
And the A string he left in the normal place..

Rick Turner
07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Rick from Compass Rose here...

I very deliberately designed the Compass Rose tenor to appeal to guitar players and NOT be another psuedo-Hawaiian uke. It's not for everyone; it is what it is; and what I'm trying to do with that particular design is bring guitar players into the uke world. We often ship the instruments out with a low G, and I'm forever telling guitar players that it's just like a guitar capoed at the fifth fret minus the two bottom strings.

It's not the only way to go. When I teach my "build a uke in 4 days" course, we make sopranos with a high G, and even go to the old "D" tuning for what I think is the best sound for those little instruments.

And Mike will have a couple of really nice Compass Rose tenors in about ten days...

RevWill
07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I hope I get an opportunity to play a Compass Rose someday. They are uniquely beautiful instruments, and yes, I'm a guitar player who entered into the uke world. Maybe someday soon I'll take a 4-day build class with you, Rick.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/renaissance/images/uke.jpg
Gorgeous!

SweetWaterBlue
07-15-2010, 05:40 AM
From a thread on bracing today, I would have to add this Boulder Creek tenor. Fantastic classical "guitary" sound coming out of this one:

http://www.bouldercreekguitars.com/media/Malaguena.mp3

I am guessing its being played plugged in, but don't really know. I had a Cordoba tenor for a few weeks that was a dead fish acoustically, but sounded fantastic when plugged in, so I am not sure you can get a good sense of what one sounds like if you only hear it plugged in.

Ukulele Dude
07-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Rick,
I played a couple of your tenors at Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, AZ. They are very nice, and I would have to say they definitely had that 'guitarish' sound. They look and sound beautiful. I was wondering though... what made you decide to stick with the 12 fret to the body neck? Is that part of the strategy for achieving the deep resonating sound? And I'm not trying to be critial; I am just curious.

Thanks!

luvdat
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I would say the "ukey" or island sound comes from harder wood like mahogany or koa, "guitary" would come from a softer wood like spruce or cedar.

Being completely honest here, have been thinking this post off and on since I first read it also because invariably I play my LU-21TE every day. I use Hilos and a wound low g even on this lam. For some reason the combo sounds "island" and guitarish at the same time...also I put back my wife's spruce top tenor to high g Hilos...a brighter ukey sound but when more gently played defintely guitarish even in high g, more so of course in low g. I still prefer the LU-21T over the S-T. Maybe the "island" part is also from having a uke that's "all sides."

For what it's worth your post here made me realize I prefer for lack of better words an island, guitarish sound...and what can get forgotten: they do use guitars in Hawaiian music...and string sets (esp. black nylon and with wound C's and wound low g's get packaged as "Hawaiian). I know this is an oversimplification on my part but I'm enjoying it...

iDavid
07-16-2010, 08:22 PM
After ever ones input and listening to more youtube videos than I can keep track of, I have come to absolutely no conclusion...lol

I am off to the states in two weeks and will be trying out every uke I can find int he Portland, Oregon Area. I think what I really want is a tenor is a full sound. My Mainland Mahogany has the tone I am after, but not quite the volume. Perhaps a lighter build Mahogany would be the ticket...

luvdat
07-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Listening to a barrage of You Tube videos especially with a sound sample quest starts out kind of enjoyable and then soon becomes mindnumbing. When later you start to see MGM's right hand in the reflection of a storefront window, you've gone too far.

Too bad Kiwaya doesn't make a tenor lam...

SweetWaterBlue
07-17-2010, 02:39 AM
After ever ones input and listening to more youtube videos than I can keep track of, I have come to absolutely no conclusion...lol

I am off to the states in two weeks and will be trying out every uke I can find int he Portland, Oregon Area. I think what I really want is a tenor is a full sound. My Mainland Mahogany has the tone I am after, but not quite the volume. Perhaps a lighter build Mahogany would be the ticket...

I think the fact that you haven't come to a conclusion after all the listening tells you a lot. I have had the opportunity to A/B blind taste test a lot of expensive and cheaper ukes against my lowly Kala KA-TG laminate. While I would certainly choose a more expensive uke with a sexy name on the headstock if they were the same price, I can't say I have ever come away from my comparisons saying to myself, "Wow, I just gotta get the more expensive XYZ brand with gold plated tuners, solid 500 year old Koa, etc because the sound comparison blew me away." As with most things in life, once you get to a certain point the real differences between really well made ukes (spelled expensive) and the good quality consumer models becomes relatively small sound-wise, yet we continue to torture ourselves and our wallets thinking we will be blown away by the sound of the "better" model. That is not to say I don't crave the finer things in life, like most others do, but in reality its not because of major differences in functionality.

Let me suggest that you bring your Mainland tenor with you. Then, do blind A/B taste tests with it against the more expensive ukes you will be considering. You may be surprised at the results, and you may go home more contented with what you already have.

iDavid
07-17-2010, 03:18 AM
You have a point. I have a KoAloha Concert and the Mainland tenor. In a blind test, I can always tell them apart. The different is not huge and probably not worth three times the price, but I have some picky ears.

RevWill
07-17-2010, 03:24 AM
You have a point. I have a KoAloha Concert and the Mainland tenor. In a blind test, I can always tell them apart. The different is not huge and probably not worth three times the price, but I have some picky ears.

Good point. Send Jake to my house and make 2 videos: him playing my Mainland and me playing his custom Kamaka. Betcha everything I own that my Mainland will sound better and I will be jealous! A certain degree of tone is in the workmanship that goes into the uke, a certain amount from the materials, add in a touch of intangible magic and unpredictability, a certain amount from the strings. But an awful lot of tone comes from the player and the fingers. Jake could undoubtedly make your Kala sing, ring, and make sounds you never imagined coming from your uke.

luvdat
07-17-2010, 04:47 AM
I think what came happen with all the talk about fingerstyle and strumming techniques and variations what can be forgotten are the fingertips of your left hand. I realized just this morning how easily lazy I become with my left hand.

luvdat
07-17-2010, 04:49 AM
I think the fact that you haven't come to a conclusion after all the listening tells you a lot. I have had the opportunity to A/B blind taste test a lot of expensive and cheaper ukes against my lowly Kala KA-TG laminate. While I would certainly choose a more expensive uke with a sexy name on the headstock if they were the same price, I can't say I have ever come away from my comparisons saying to myself, "Wow, I just gotta get the more expensive XYZ brand with gold plated tuners, solid 500 year old Koa, etc because the sound comparison blew me away." As with most things in life, once you get to a certain point the real differences between really well made ukes (spelled expensive) and the good quality consumer models becomes relatively small sound-wise, yet we continue to torture ourselves and our wallets thinking we will be blown away by the sound of the "better" model. That is not to say I don't crave the finer things in life, like most others do, but in reality its not because of major differences in functionality.

Let me suggest that you bring your Mainland tenor with you. Then, do blind A/B taste tests with it against the more expensive ukes you will be considering. You may be surprised at the results, and you may go home more contented with what you already have.

"Blown away": and after that "happens" (purchase made) there's then another instrument to purchase?

SWB: agreed. You're not the only one who has done various side by sides and then said, "I'm already good to go."

Ukedani
07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh no! I had never heard of the Kala thinline travel tenor before seeing Raygf's video. Now I have to have one, for all that traveling I do.

70sSanO
07-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Get the Compass Rose.

MGM says it is the most guitar-ish and I imagine he has seen and played every ukulele ever made.

I did a search and there is a shop in Santa Cruz has a Adirondack spruce top and Brazilian Rosewood back and sides Compass Rose ukulele. You CAN'T get any more guitar-like than that.

Here's the link...

http://www.sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=1462&search=Ukuleles

John

iDavid
07-24-2010, 05:45 PM
In looking for a uke with a non-boxy tone I decide to buy a cigar-box uke! How funny is that!

I will get to try out a Collings and Mya-Moe next week.

I'm getting the Cigar-box from Tom Guy. His standard uke looks great also and the price is really fair. I found a few builders who seem to have great builds and great quality, Blue-grass Ukes, MP, LoPrinzi, and Mya-Moe. It you get a model one, all hog, Compass Rose they are under a grand, but I am not sure I want a thicker neck.

I was listening to Bluegrass ukes Tigerwood and it sounds fantastic, but so does the MP ukes and so many others. I can only tell so much on the old Youtube. I am really looking forward to trying out some ukes in Portland and am REALLY excited about the Cigarbox uke!

fumanshu
07-25-2010, 01:57 AM
iDavid wrote:
In looking for a uke with a non-boxy tone I decide to buy a cigar-box uke! How funny is that!

I will get to try out a Collings and Mya-Moe next week.

I'm getting the Cigar-box from Tom Guy. His standard uke looks great also and the price is really fair. I found a few builders who seem to have great builds and great quality, Blue-grass Ukes, MP, LoPrinzi, and Mya-Moe. It you get a model one, all hog, Compass Rose they are under a grand, but I am not sure I want a thicker neck.

I was listening to Bluegrass ukes Tigerwood and it sounds fantastic, but so does the MP ukes and so many others. I can only tell so much on the old Youtube. I am really looking forward to trying out some ukes in Portland and am REALLY excited about the Cigarbox uke!

Hi david!!! So how come you ended with a cigar box uke from Tom??!!! Which one did you buy? I'm always curiuos about his ukes. I heard his demo clip and they seems to be very nice sounding uke. It's quite impressive...specially for the price.

When will you get it? I'm so tempted to get one me to!!!! I'm just not sure if it's my kind of thing though...

As for the Collins and Mya-Moe, you're lucky to be able to try one. I heard so many good words on these ukes but I have no luck since none are available here so I can try...Let me know how do they sound when you will try them.

Thanks!!!

iDavid
07-25-2010, 04:16 AM
I was really impressed with the sound of the cigar-box and the idea of a carbon fiber reenforced neck on a cigar box body just seems great to me. The future meets the past kind of thing.

I listen to the Tigerwood clip of Tom's uke and was blown away. Then I started listening to some more clips and just really liked the cigar-box, very different tone. The price is so low I just could not pass it up. I try to think of myself as a non-collector, but not sure how true that is.

I am still looking for a great traditional body style tenor. I have not played a tenor with a thinner neck, so it my turn out the I am a concert guy. I kind of doubt it.... I love my KoAloha, but the scale is a bit cramped for me.

I really want to see if a Collings is worth the money and will it blown me away. It really isn't much more than a tenor KoAloha, which I am sure is a great uke. I guess the real question to be answered, will I be content with a lower priced uke. So far, not so much.

For me, I think a custom made uke with cool looking wood and no extra bling would keep the quality high and the price reasonable in my eyes. Mya-Moe and LoPrinzi have lower priced models which only differ with appearance; Bluegrass and MP are really priced low all the way around.

Tom had a cigar-box that was just getting started, so it will be a bit before I get it. I'll post pics when I do.

I also figure that I can see how I like the neck on a Bluegrass Uke by getting the cigar-box. I don't have very high expectation for a cigar-box uke, so I really doubt I will be disappointed in the least.

But, the main thing... cigar-ukes are cool and my wife likes them!

SweetWaterBlue
07-25-2010, 07:58 AM
David, YouTube probably doesn't do the Collings justice, but have you seen this comparison?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_78z2DINg

fumanshu
07-25-2010, 08:24 AM
idavid wrote:
I listen to the Tigerwood clip of Tom's uke and was blown away. Then I started listening to some more clips and just really liked the cigar-box, very different tone. The price is so low I just could not pass it up. I try to think of myself as a non-collector, but not sure how true that is.

Hi David, where did you hear his Tigerwood clip, can you give me the link, I would like to hear how it can sound like.

Thanks

iDavid
07-25-2010, 01:46 PM
David, YouTube probably doesn't do the Collings justice, but have you seen this comparison?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_78z2DINg

I've seen this and was really impressed.

thanks

iDavid
07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
idavid wrote:

Hi David, where did you hear his Tigerwood clip, can you give me the link, I would like to hear how it can sound like.

Thanks

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlA0Bg012o

iDavid
07-25-2010, 02:03 PM
I like the Koa also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlkTtRBODQI