A bunch of ukes and a banjo for sale!!! (or possibly for trade...)

LoMa

Reaction score
A Saga Pony Banjo for sale and a Hohner Accordion!!! (All the ukes have sold)

Woohoo! - more stuff has been sold but the Saga Short Scale banjo and the the Hohner Button Box Accordion are still available!
The herd's a bit out of control, so I am selling and/or trading instruments which have a tone too close to others I have, or that are just not getting played anymore.

I'd be interested in trading for a soprano or concert uke with passive or active electronics - so let me know what you have!

1. SOLD!!!! S&H Green Stamps all solid mahogany soprano uke, circa 1960, made in West Germany. No label, just "Made in West Germany" stamped inside the uke, visible through the soundhole. Looks like a Bruko, based on the heel shape, or a Bruko knockoff. Very simple and lightweight ukulele in very good condition. Trashy non-working tuners have been replaced with high quality friction tuners with amber knobs. The whole uke was oversprayed at some time of its life including the fret board. Bar frets with no wear. The fretboard has some wear though at the first and second frets, but playablity is excellent. Intonation is only fair - not terrible, but certainly not spot on either. One repaired back crack that is very hard to see or feel. Good volume with a bright sound. The tone is plunky and very distinctive, almost banjo uke like - it reminds me of the instrumentation in Herman's Hermits' "Mrs Brown, you've got a lovely daughter." No case or bag. See photos in post below.
--- $75 with FREE SHIPPING to the USA lower 48.

2. SOLD!!!! Unlabeled Hawaiian made soprano, solid flamed koa, circa 1915. Same shape, headstock, purfling and rosette as a Kumalae style 5/E - their fanciest model. All solild flamey koa under the original finish, which has darkened over time and has some crazing, but it is still intact and 100% present. Rope purfling down the center of the fretboard, which has bar frets pressed directly into the neck - no separate fretboard. 12 frets total. Re[placement friction tuners. Bridge may be a replacement, I don;t know. Very old repair to the neck joint, and neck is straight and solid. It looks like there is a hariline crack along the wavy grain on the both side of the uke near the neck joint - one is about an inch long, and one is about a half inch long. They don;t appear to be cracked all the way through, and they are hard to see. Great playability and a very LOUD, very punchy box! Strung re-entrant with Aquilas.
--- With lightly padded gigbag: $225 + FREE SHIPPING to the USA lower 48

3. SOLD!!! Makai MKM-80 solid burled maple soprano uke - ebony fretboard, abalone rosette and postion dots, bone nut and saddle, high gloss finish, Gotoh friction tuners. Like new condition. Strung re-entrant with Aquilas. Recently made. Bright and lively tone with a lot of depth and overtones. Excellent dynamics and playability! See photos in post below.
--- With locking hardshell case: $205 + FREE SHIPPING to the USA lower 48

4. SOLD!!!! OHANA SK-70MG SOPRANO UKULELE in excellent condition. Solid spruce top with a beautifully flamed mahogany back and sides. Mahogany binding on top and back, with bwb purfling on top, mother of pearl rosette and postion dots and logo inlaid in the peghead. Gloss finish very nicely applied. Has UPGRADED Grover openback geared tuners with black knobs for easy and accurate tuning (these are the same kind of geared tuners that LoPrinzi's use!). A very nice looking uke with a very LOUD voice that's bright and lively with good depth and overtones. Very good sustain and very good intonation. Low action and excellent playability. Currently strung low G with Aquila nylgut strings. Comes with a very lightly padded Golden Gate gigbag. Made in China and an awersome uke for the money. You can see one here:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/ohana-sk-70mg-soprano-ukulele--SK70MG.htm
--- $149 with upgraded tuners & light gigbag + FREE shipping to the USA lower 48.

5. SOLD!!!! RISA TENOR ELECTRIC UKE in like-new condition. Electric blue color with white faceplate. Tenor scale that can be tuned to DBGE or GCEA depending on what strings used - I'll supply strings for both tunings. This is the Risa that looks (and plays) like a mini-electric guitar. Steel strings, two powerful lipstick pickups, a three-way PU switch, a tone pot, and a volume pot. Set up and ready to go. Plays nice an easy and FAST with an Ibanez-like neck. Good quality tuning machines so your uke won;t get out of tune either. Currently strung with Elixir anti-rust lights in GCEA. I'll supply another set of strings for DGBE tuning. Also includes the original gigbag, and I'll throw in two high quality cables + a guitar stand that fits this uke well. I'll check to see if I have any extra pedals I can throw into the package too. I bought this from ukemaker.com for $650 - you can see it here (scroll down to the very bottom of the page):
http://ukemaker.com/Risa-InstrumentsForSale.html
--- $485 with gigbag, extra strings, two cables, and guitar stand + FREE shipping to the USA lower 48

6. SAGA PONY SHORT SCALE 5-STRING BANJO in excellent condition. Still available!
Open back full size 11" remo head, brass tone ring, 4:1 geared planetary pegs, nicely finished - a very handsome banjo with a great old timey tone. The scale length is that of a baritone uke, so a lot more portable than other banjo's. The short scale sounds best in C, but can also be tuned to G if you're using heavier strings. Can use standard steel strings or Aquila Nylgut Banjo strings. I've never done it, but I suppose you could also leave off the 5th string and tune it like a uke. This is an older banjo made in Korea, not China. Comes with a nicely padded Superior gigbag especaially made for this banjo. You can see both here:
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/SS10P.htm
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/BCSU-PONY.htm
--- With gigbag: $265 - shipping negotiable, depending on where you live - this is a REALLY heavy instrument!

I also have for sale an The Aria Pepe is SOLD!!!! Aria solid cedar and sapele 1/2 size classical guitar made in Spain - makes an excellent travel guitar! + gigbag - $295
a Hohner Vienna "Pokerwork" button box diatonic accordion in C/G with straps - $350 - the button box is still available!
and a Climate Case guitar case cover - Climate Case is sold!!!! to protect your instrument from drastic changes in humidity and temperature - fits a classical or dreadnaught size guitar case. - $40 or trade for a soprano or concert size uke case, preferably for one of those zippered canvas covered foam hardshell cases.

Let me know if you're interested in anything.

Last edited:
The vintage Hawaiian uke has been sold and so has the Climate Case case cover.

I just realized I never posted photos for some of the other isntruments.

I shall do so tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Photos of the Makai MKM-80

Here are photos of the Makia MKM-80 soprano uke made of all solid highly figured burled maple.

Great tone - bright and lively with depth. Excellent volume and playability!

Attachments

• makai-peghead..jpg
    makai-peghead..jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 28
  • makai-back..jpg
    makai-back..jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
  • makai-yop..jpg
    makai-yop..jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 35
  • makai-front-with&#45.jpg
    makai-front-with&#45.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29
  • makai-angle-with-.jpg
    makai-angle-with-.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 22
Photos of the 1960's vintage S&H Green Stamps mahogany soprano uke!!

Here are photos of the vintage 1960's S&H Green Stamps soprano uke made in West Germany. Very cool and Kitschy with a very plunky and punchy tone. LOUD!

Attachments

• S&H-peghead-back.jpg
    S&H-peghead-back.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 25
  • S&H-top.jpg
    S&H-top.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30
  • S&H-side.jpg
    S&H-side.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 21
  • S&H-back.jpg
    S&H-back.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23
  • S&H-front.jpg
    S&H-front.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
hi alex534,

Here's are the harmonics at the 12th fret on each string - I used a Sabine NexTune tuner for testing:
G - right on the mark
C - sharp about 7 cents
E - sharp about 5 cents
A - right on the mark

The intonation is better than on my Martin I used to have. To get good intonation though, you need to be accurate in your fingering as the string tension is on the low side, so easy to deflect (like on that old Martin). I think it sounds more out of intonation than it is when I play it because my finguring is less accurate as I go up the fretboard.

It does have a glossy finish but not super glossy like a gloss Ohana or Makai. So when you're looking at the vintage isntrument, you see the wood underneath the finish. The finish is quite thin -the thing that does not make it look like a pro-job is that the grain was not filled before being oversprayed. What you're seeing in the last picture is the reflection of the flash on my camera - that's what makes it look so shiny.

Does that make sense?

Lemm know if you're interested.

Interested in a Ohana Long Neck?...the one I for sale now. I don't need your case so you could keep it. I love trading.....

I need another uke like I need a hole in the head by the way.

The S&H Green stamps soprano made in West Germany has been SOLD!!!!.

The Makai MKM-80 solid maple soprano, the Risa tenor electric, and the Saga Pony Banjo are all available.
Also the Aria Pepe nylon string travel guitar and the Hohner button box accordion are still availble too!

Interested in a Ohana Long Neck?...the one I for sale now. I don't need your case so you could keep it. I love trading.....

I need another uke like I need a hole in the head by the way.

Thank you for the offer, Mouthy, but I'm not interested in a tenor scale.

It's all fun!

No problem, good luck with your sale....looks like you getting some out the door.

Sale Pending on the Makai MKM-80.

The Risa Tenor electric uke, Saga Pony Banjo, Aria Pepe travel guitar, and the Hohner button box accordion are still available though.

Added another uke - an Ohana spruce & flamed mahogany soprano, and also added a desription of the Risa electric tenor which includes the gigbag, cables, guitar stand and strings for DBGE and GCEA tuning.

If you have any questions about any of the ukes, please ask!

Last edited:
The Aria Pepe guitar has been sold.

I still have the following available though -
** Ohana solid spruce top soprano uke with falmed mahogany back & sides
** Risa Tenor Electric uke with gigbag, cables, steel strings for GCEA and DGBE tuning, and stand
**Saga short scale Openback 5-string banjo with planetary pegs, full size remo head, brass tone ring, cool pearl inlays, trussrod, and excellent qulity hardware. Comes with gigbag and banjo head tools.
** Hohner Vienna Button Box Accordion in C/G with shoulder straps. Nice wet tuning!

The Ohana spruce top has been SOLD!!!!

But the Risa uke-electric tenor is still available and so is the Saga short scale openback 5-string banjo!
So is the Hohner button box accordion!

The Risa tenor electric uke has been sold.

The Saga short scale banjo is still available - has approximately the same scale as a baritone uke!
Also still have the Hohner diatonic button box accordion available.

Let le me know if you have any questions about these instruments!

Top Bottom