Banged up old Kamaka--Junk or jewel?

Kamaka--Junk or jewel?

• Total voters

portlandjosh

Reaction score
Hey folks, so I came across an old banged up Kamaka pineapple at a yard sale this morning. It has some issues, like no bridge, serious finish wear, dings and a crack at the sound hole.

But I wonder if it is worth taking to a luthier and fixing up. The full photo set is here, but I am posting some pictures below too. Any thoughts? I only paid $15 for it, so nothing serious if it is a lost cause.

Cheers,
Josh

2010-07-09%2009.07.37.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.07.50.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.08.21.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.08.10.jpg

My thinking is that a) It's a ukulele, ergo it's a jewel. and b) it might be a fun project for you. Sand her down, refinish her... make her beautiful again.

The best part of it is that you CAN'T make it any worse!

For only $15, you can't lose. Even for a wall hanger, it is not a bad price. If you can fix it up, you might have a really great sounding uke! Nice find. Maybe you could get a replacement bridge from Kamaka, and glue it up yourself.
–Lori

We 've had great fun learning to restore an old pawn shop find and it wasn't even a Kamaka. Sounds like a great project to us.

I think it is beautiful already! Fix er up and make it even more gorgeous! Definitely a jewel

I agree it would be a great DIY project for you. Don't know if it'd be worth it to pay a luthier to restore it or not. Like Lori said, for what you paid, it's a good wall hanger even if it doesn't work out. But I'm confident you can do it. There are plenty of very competent luthiers here that I'm sure would be happy to advise you on any steps you're unsure of.

So I voted jewel. :)

Seriously? That's ten pounds of awesomesauce in a five pound sack. It's got mojo written all over it. It's full of epic win.

jewel-kilcher-1.jpg

Nah, it's not worth it. I'll give you $20 for the favor of taking it off your hands....
NOT!
Dude-- it's a Kamaka! At the very least you should get a bridge on it (from Kamaka, maybe) string it up and play it a bit. If you know a good reputable luthier, I'd definitely run it past them. As long as the neck is reasonably straight, this could be a real jewel. Perhaps contact Kamaka and send them a link to your photos and get their opinion. Keep us posted.

Hey that's a "GOLD LABEL"

Hey folks, so I came across an old banged up Kamaka pineapple at a yard sale this morning. It has some issues, like no bridge, serious finish wear, dings and a crack at the sound hole.

But I wonder if it is worth taking to a luthier and fixing up. The full photo set is here, but I am posting some pictures below too. Any thoughts? I only paid $15 for it, so nothing serious if it is a lost cause.

Cheers,
Josh

2010-07-09%2009.07.37.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.07.50.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.08.21.jpg

2010-07-09%2009.08.10.jpg
What a score, Josh...are you teasing us???I'll give you double your money...choke, ckoke..LOL
Check the neck is straight, and call Kamaka and ask them for suggestions for a good luthier in your area.
I'd send them pictures, so they know you're serious...I'm sure when they see them, they'll call you pretty
quickly. II'd say just go with a new bridge and the finish will be fine original. MM Stan...
Then throw some strings on, and jam...BTW-by then I don't know which is a bigger jewel, and which I would really choose....

Last edited:
Good lord, it's a gold label Kamaka pineapple that you got for $15 and you want to know if it's worth having a luthier put a bridge on it?! I mean seriously?!?!? These guys go for like $300 easy with the bridge intact and otherwise about the same, and even with cracks. Unless the nut is on as crooked as it looks in the pics, I hope that's not a twist in the neck? If the neck is good, what a STEAL!

Have the luthier put an ebony nut and saddle on it with a very simple bridge, it will sound fabulous. Lucky dog. ;)

Really nice they go for about $450 and up.

You sir are the Indiana Jones of Ukulele treasures!!!! Kamaka folks are the definite resource for your "piece of eight" or should i say "pineapple of eight" Enjoy !!!!!

Totally excited by all of your responses! I'll definitely contact Kamaka about it. Not sure what the significance of the "Gold Label" is, but I'll be researching it tonight! I'll be sure to keep y'all posted of what I learn... Cheers, Josh

Let's say you decide to send it Kamaka for repair. Two-way shipping plus repair time puts you out a couple hundred bucks and you'll have the best possible repair on a terrific instrument.

If you hire a local luthier, you will be out a hundred bucks or so.

If you do it yourself, you're out the cost of a bridge.

If you chose to simply hang it on the wall, you still win.

If it were mine, I'd send it to Hawaii for repair.

Hi Josh,

I don't play the ukulelel yet, and don't own one either,
but I have a pretty good handle on fretted instruments and that baby's a gem.
Best of luck with that beauty.

Envious, Bill

Dude, what a find!!! I would fix it in a second. If it were me, I would go to a good local luthier, or do it yourself. I am sure Kamaka does great repairs but their website says the wait is a year and I don't think they will do a better job then a local person. For me, the shipping, and the wait would make me stay local.

Anyway, congrats on an amazing find!! Play that baby and enjoy!

Yeah, I'd go local too. Just make sure you go to someone good. Do a little research, find out what kind of bridge belongs on the instrument or simply find a design you like. (Think about this: Dave Rawlings' main Gibson archtop guitar has a custom made one-piece ebony bridge that is totally wrong in terms of vintage correctness, but it's his favorite instrument. The guitar was missing the bridge when he acquired it, and he just thought a one-piece ebony would work, so he had a luthier make it.)

I wouldn't mess with the finish. I think old checked finishes look very cool on old instruments. I wouldn't hesitate to clean it up and polish it, but I personally wouldn't refinish. I would have a superstitious worry that the checked finish sounds better.

If the neck is warped or twisted a good luthier might be able to put it in a press to correct it. Seriously have it looked at.

I think you have a real gem there.

I've seen allot worse sell for allot more. She would be cheap at $50, and definitely worth a new life.

That Kamaka is pure gold, and not just the label either. In case you have not noticed, vintage ukes are hot. That's because they sound great! Warning...do not sand or refinish it! The varnish is part of the sound. You've got about 50 years of resonance built into that baby - don't rub it off! That finish is part of its authenticity, its charm, and its value. That ukulele only needs a bridge and strings. I would have the bridge done locally by a quality luthier. You could ship to Hawaii, but by the time you have paid shipping you could probably get a comparable Kamaka on ebay. $200 is the low end on a Kamaka soprano in good shape. The pineapple shape is plus. You lucky dog. I got a deal like that one time - it makes you want to get lucky again. If you get bitten by the vintage uke bug you will be haunting local antique shops and checking ebay constantly. Many people have NO IDEA what ukes are worth. A little knowledge is money in your pocket.

In the end though, the sound is the thing - and that Kamaka will never do you wrong. :drool:

Top Bottom