PDA

View Full Version : Paulele bamboo First grass ukulele?

Uke Republic
07-11-2010, 04:05 AM
So they come in a cut-away soprano and standard soprano . I did a quick demo over view if you would like to check it out. I think bamboo is really a grass so this may be the first playable production grass ukulele. Great volume .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHmieFenu4

ukeCANjam
07-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Do you know if these are going to be available in concert or tenor sizes?

Uke Republic
07-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Do you know if these are going to be available in concert or tenor sizes?

For now, just two soprano models.

KevinV
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the video...I dig it. I think one of these may be in my future. :cool:

jehicks87
07-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I seem to remember a Bambukulele being available like two years ago... I read about it on UkuleleReview.com

ukulelearp
07-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I'd definitely be interested in a tenor.

ukeCANjam
07-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I seem to remember a Bambukulele being available like two years ago... I read about it on UkuleleReview.com

http://ukulelereview.com/2008/01/30/bamboo-anyone/

Markwell
07-11-2010, 12:07 PM
It looks great.

Kite
07-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Oooh I like! :iwant:

It'd make me feel better about my environmental impact as well, bamboo it's so useful and fast growing. But I've never heard of it considered to be a grass? I know it does grow like a weed.

Rick Turner
07-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Tony Graziano has been making bamboo ukes for a long time.

I was involved in a guitar making project with a bamboo necked electric that I designed in about 1975 or so.

Ahnko Honu
07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
If only it came in a pineapple...

haole
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Looks sweet! Where's it made?

Ahnko Honu
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Looks sweet! Where's it made?

Nippon aka Japan (by Kiwaya)

Captain_Lovehandles
07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Man, UkeRep, you are really smokin' some grass with those hot licks you're laying down.

EvergreenPanda
07-12-2010, 08:02 PM
It looks beautiful and sounds great. If I work up the money I may buy one.

Sambient
07-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Oh good, yet another thing for me to want very badly!

angelopb
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
I wonder when they will actually arrive. Seems lively. I dig the retro headstock and roudned back.

sukie
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM

You always make me laugh. hee-hee

Uke Republic
07-13-2010, 10:28 AM
I wonder when they will actually arrive. Seems lively. I dig the retro headstock and roudned back.

Kiwaya told me anytime . Could be end of July up to September. Bamboo tricky stuff to make into ukulele. We are taking preorders if you wanna get one. I'll try to post a pics of the soft case that comes with them later. It doesn't appear to be made of bamboo.

angelopb
07-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Kiwaya told me anytime . Could be end of July up to September. Bamboo tricky stuff to make into ukulele. We are taking preorders if you wanna get one. I'll try to post a pics of the soft case that comes with them later. It doesn't appear to be made of bamboo.

I did preorder. I just was wondering what "late Summer to early Fall" meant. :)
I hope this thing is durable. I think a soprano should be tough and travel-worthy, cuz that's what
so fun about playing this instrument. You can throw them in you back pack and take everywhere.
Are these vertically laminated bamboo? I understand vert lam bamboo can be quite strong in other applications
(e.g., floors, longboard etc.). I guess the risk is delamination. Still, I have faith in MIJ build quality. And this company seems
to have been around for awhile making ukes. Are there any differences in sound or size b/t the cutaway and the std? I would also like a pineapple model if ever offered.

SweetWaterBlue
07-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I got to play Mike's sample of this little guy last night at the SEUkers meeting in Marietta, GA. It's light as a feather and loud. I don't know how it is laminated but I am guessing from the direction the grain was running that it is vertical lamination as in the picture of some vertically laminated bamboo below. I guess I would have called that edge-glued, rather than what we typically call laminated. Of course the top was much thinner than the picture below. I have tried to cut bamboo with a machete, and the sides are extremely hard (much harder than something like mahogany). I think it would be pretty hard to put a ding in this thing. It felt really sturdy

http://www.bambooflooring.net.au/floor/vertical-border.jpg

Gmoney
07-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Saw & played it last night... interesting - expectedly physically LIGHT. Tone is sweet. But, personally, I don't like the aesthetics. I really like righly grained wook. Top, sides & back are laminated bamboo "strips" & even the neck is bamboo (seems to be laminated "end to end")... there were, however, several folks at the SEUkers Java Jam last night that liked it A LOT. I'll bet they'll sell quite a few.

But... I also got to play a Sceptre, several Kamaka's, & a Loprinzi, so the Paulele may have been simply been surrounded by too august company.

angelopb
07-14-2010, 06:47 AM
thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. Light and Loud. The cutaway has a player, shred-master look to it, IMO.
It would be cool if they used different shades of bamboo. I think light green would be cool. It sounds pretty labor intensive to make these. I don't see laminated bamboo as a cheap material. But it does seem very "green" since construction grade bamboo grows so fast.

SweetWaterBlue
07-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Some more interesting info on making bamboo lumber. Neat stuff

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60233

Gmoney
07-14-2010, 07:17 AM
I got to play Mike's sample of this little guy last night at the SEUkers meeting in Marietta, GA. It's light as a feather and loud. I don't know how it is laminated but I am guessing from the direction the grain was running that it is vertical lamination as in the picture of some vertically laminated bamboo below. I guess I would have called that edge-glued, rather than what we typically call laminated. Of course the top was much thinner than the picture below. I have tried to cut bamboo with a machete, and the sides are extremely hard (much harder than something like mahogany). I think it would be pretty hard to put a ding in this thing. It felt really sturdy

My thoughts exactly - the picture explains it as well. One thing that I noticed is that because of the "open" fibrous nature of bamboo, the lower end (body end) of the fretboard looked like it might be rough, though it wasn't rough to touch.

JoshFromTallGrassUkes
11-30-2010, 06:34 AM
The Paulele looks nice, especially the rounded back.

Tall Grass makes bamboo ukes too, although a bit fancier (binding, side soundhole, etc) and a little less money.

TallGrassUkuleles.com

UncleElvis
11-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Now THAT would be renewable! A pineapple ukulele...

oh... you mean the shape.

Ne'mind.

(*LOL*)

UncleElvis
11-30-2010, 06:50 AM
It's kind of sad just how much I want one of these.

I mean... it's really pathetic.

Josh, I kinda dig the look of TallGrass, too, and would recommend it to someone looking for a Sprucetop replacement (and shall, I think, once the reviews are in).

I'm just not a light coloured wood ukulele kinda guy. I think it's the binding.

And again, this is just for me. Not my cup of tea. It's a REALLY nice looking ukulele, though. Please don't get me wrong.

ANNNYWAY... I'll stop before I shove my foot all the way into my mouth.

MGM
11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
The ukes have arrived and are for sale....you know where lol

mackfam
12-01-2010, 06:09 AM
I live in dry Colorado and wonder if these will handle the low humidity we have as well as the other laminate ukes do. Any ideas?

John FM
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know where to source the bamboo sheets/boards? Am thinking (laminated) bamboo flooring boards ripped down the middle might be a goer, probably wide enough for a concert uke.

EDW
01-22-2011, 06:10 PM
You might try contacting the guy who made these

http://web.mac.com/cddanford/Site/Welcome.html