Need help identifying my ukulele

Brian of Niles

Reaction score
Hi, I am new on the board and was wondering if some of you uke experts could help me out. I acquired a vintage tenor Martin Ukulele and I would like to know a few things about it. What era do you think it is and general info would be greatly appreciated. It is excellent condition and I restrung and played it and it sounds magnificent. I am a big vintage drum collector so if I can return any favors of identifying drums in the future I would be happy to do it. Thanks Brian

Attachments

• b1..jpg
    b1..jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
  • bb2..jpg
    bb2..jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 50
  • bb3..jpg
    bb3..jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 44
  • bb4..jpg
    bb4..jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
Im no pro, but that could be a substantially valuable uke.. If it were 20s 30s.. But I am guessing 1960s, maybe 1950s... Worth $500-$600? Could be into the 4 figures..

BTW: What is the size of it? Soprano? Baritone?

Last edited:
Aloha Brian,
Welcome to the UU, and I'm no expert on martins but I had a few...with the imatation tortise bindings
It's a style 1 and I'd say circa 1964...Martins are highy sought after, and your looks like in it's in very good
condition.

Last edited:
I found this on identifying Martins:

http://www.mugwumps.com/cfm_date.htm

Ukuleles didn't have serial numbers, but Craig Thompson wrote, "I recently talked to the ukulele expert, Mike, at Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. One good way of dating old Martin ukuleles is the headstock. First, they stamped the logo on the back of the peghead (from circa 1895). Then they started putting decals on the front of the headstock in 1930. Until 1932, they continued to stamp the back of the headstock with CF Martin & Co. So if you don't have a decal, it's pre-1930, if you have both decal and stamp, it was built between 1930 and 1932. They also used bar frets until 1934 (and probably on some ukes a few more years) after which they used "T" frets."

Edit: Some more info here.

http://www.oocities.com/~ukulele/martin.html
http://www.oocities.com/~ukulele/martin2.html

Last edited:
Thanks ladies and gents, mm stan I think you are on to something, I think it is a style 1 tenor as well, is it a 64? I was guessing 50's 60's. Its in great shape for its age, there no cracks, repairs, and very few cosmetic blemishes Any other opinions on the value? Thanks and keep playing- Brian

Thanks ladies and gents, mm stan I think you are on to something, I think it is a style 1 tenor as well, is it a 64? I was guessing 50's 60's. Its in great shape for its age, there no cracks, repairs, and very few cosmetic blemishes Any other opinions on the value? Thanks and keep playing- Brian
Aloha Brian,
Yes I think it's around them years, as I recall they only made them with that binding a few years
about that time. Althought the tuners may say of an earlier model, but I think they may have been
changed and are not original. As for value, It's what one would pay for it....several years ago I bought
my martin 50's 4 string tenor for $575.00...for me a fair price I would pay is $600.00-$700.00 but
could easy go up from there as to the condition and intonation(how it sounds). I hope this helps and
you enjoy your ukulele....MM Stan...
BTW- Welcome to the UU....In high school I used to fool around with drums too, I had a Ludwig visalite
set..

Last edited:
Aloha Brian,
Go to you tube and punch in ukulele friend.com/martin tenor ukulele
Shawn yacavone talks about a 60's imatation turtle binding tenor Martin ukulele
visit his website..Ukulele friend.com
I'm sure it's the same one as yours, Style I martin tenor with imatation turtle bindings and black tuners..
I've found your ukulele here it's a 1960, look under his sold items..
MM Stan...

Last edited:
Top Bottom