Fat fingers

simpson1190

Reaction score
I use to play the guitar but i quit because the ends of my fingers are fat and I had a hard time strumming. I couldn't get the tip of my finger to only touch the string i wanted it to. I was wondering, even though the ukulele is smaller, are the strings farther apart then the guitar? If so, i may be able to play one..

Thanks

question...

I use to play the guitar but i quit because the ends of my fingers are fat and I had a hard time strumming. I couldn't get the tip of my finger to only touch the string i wanted it to. I was wondering, even though the ukulele is smaller, are the strings farther apart then the guitar? If so, i may be able to play one..

Thanks

Of course everyone is different, but I also have stubby pudgy fingers and can't play guitar for the same reason. A combination of too big of a neck and strings too close together. I've had much better luke with the uke because the average uke has strings far enough apart. I'd recommend a concert, or perhaps tenor size, but soprano was playable for me as well. My ring finger is a size 9, to give you an idea. Hey, Bruddah IZ would never be accused of being small, and his fingers were very nimble on a uke. :)

Thanks

Yes they are farther apart. One thing I love about the uke is the frets are closer and the strings are further apart; the exact opposite of the guitar.

If you have big fingers I'd recommend getting a Tenor Uke first and if you are a guitarist who wants to automatically know the Uke inside and out go with a Bari. (Tuned DGBE like a Guitar compared to the GCEA tuning of a normal Uke!)

Hope that helps some! :music:

Ponos have wider necks too, no?

Hi, simpson1190. Welcome to the forums. Sorry, but you don't need two threads asking the same question. Your other thread got more replies, so I'll go ahead and merge this one to the one in the Beginner's section.

Of course everyone is different, but I also have stubby pudgy fingers and can't play guitar for the same reason. A combination of too big of a neck and strings too close together. I've had much better luke with the uke because the average uke has strings far enough apart. I'd recommend a concert, or perhaps tenor size, but soprano was playable for me as well. My ring finger is a size 9, to give you an idea. Hey, Bruddah IZ would never be accused of being small, and his fingers were very nimble on a uke. :)

So the Soprano, Concert, Tenor are all tuned the same? So does that mean that the fingerins and the chords are the same?

I've noticed a lot of tabs and chords online but they usually do not say if it is soprano, concert, tenor or baritone. Is that just cuz they are all the same except for the baritone?

You can tune your uke any way you want, but most sopranos are tuned, a, D, F#, B. Most concerts and tenors are tuned g, C, E, A. Most baritones are tuned D, G, B, E.

If the tab author doesn't include the tuning, then you can assume that it's tuned g, C, E, A.

You can tune your uke any way you want, but most sopranos are tuned, a, D, F#, B. Most concerts and tenors are tuned g, C, E, A. Most baritones are tuned D, G, B, E.

If the tab author doesn't include the tuning, then you can assume that it's tuned g, C, E, A.

Well it sounds like a concert or tenor would be the best for my chubby fingers. For my first one, I only want to spend $50 or less though, any reccomendations?

Last edited:
Well it sounds like a concert or tenor would be the best for my chubby fingers. For my first one, I only want to spend $50 or less though, any reccomendations?

Don't decide until you get a chance to play different sizes, man. Chubby fingers can handle a soprano. Heck, you might even be able to grab two strings with one finger.

If you can't play any sizes, then I'm afraid you must buy blind. I just wanted to point out that size doesn't matter... when it comes to fingers!

I was under the impression that most Soprano players these days tune gCEA, and that the old "jazz tuning" was kind of just out of vogue...

Hmph.

Both of my sops are tuned gCEA, at any rate.

I was under the impression that most Soprano players these days tune gCEA, and that the old "jazz tuning" was kind of just out of vogue...

Hmph.

Both of my sops are tuned gCEA, at any rate.

Maybe you're right. I don't know. Perhaps I spoke too soon. Soprano owners?

Damn. Wrong again. Don't listen to anything I say.

Don't decide until you get a chance to play different sizes, man. Chubby fingers can handle a soprano. Heck, you might even be able to grab two strings with one finger.

If you can't play any sizes, then I'm afraid you must buy blind. I just wanted to point out that size doesn't matter... when it comes to fingers!

The local music shop only has a soprano and a baritone. I have no way of trying a concert or tenor. Besides size, and the range of notes, what is the big difference between them?

The local music shop only has a soprano and a baritone. I have no way of trying a concert or tenor. Besides size, and the range of notes, what is the big difference between them?

Tone and price are the only things I can think of...

Top Bottom