Holy crap, they want me to sing on their wedding!

Denno

Reaction score
This is crazy!
For about 1,5 years I started to learn the ukulele and sing. Had not done anything before that. And I think today I can hold my own ok, at least at parties and such events.

But now to the scary thing!
A good freind of mine want me to play ukulele at their wedding! They want me to sing Im yours, no problem, I know that song well...
But its a freaking wedding!!!!!

I said yes anyway.

Go for it.

Wow - that is quite an honor. Have fun and enjoy.

good that you have 1.5 years of ukulele playing ahead of you. it was my 3rd month since picking up an ukulele when a friend of mine also requested me to sing and play the ukulele in their wedding. i was nervous as hell during the performance in the wedding. but i got through it okey thank God!

i practiced for a month playing the song everyday even if im so sick of it. i even bought a pickup. i can say im comfortable singing because i do sing and lead worship in church regularly. it was the ukulele playing that was so nervous as hell about. of course im especially more hard on my self when i previewed the performance. i do notice the littlest errors and vocal and strumming inconsistencies. but i reckon it was just for fun, charged to my experience and been a lesson on self awareness.

do it, man! i'm sure you'll do great

What a wonderful compliment. Of course you said yes. They enjoy your playing and singing enough to ask you to perform on such a special day. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Enjoy the experience. Play from the heart and it will be marvelous.

Regards,
Ray

I am having a wedding reception tomorrow. I decided 2 days ago to try and play I"m Yours by Jason Mraz. I'm gonna do the easy version of it in CGAmF chord progression. I'm not looking to be perfect. I just want to have fun trying.

I notice a big change once I stopped looking at learning it as work and now its just for fun.

So Denno, make it fun!! Put something in there for the couple to always remember it by. This will be "their song"

Cool stuff Suzuk, I just changed strings on my mainland and had it fixed, had a little damage on the "stable", not sure what its called in english. :D
So now I am all set to go!

I played my Martin guitar and sang an original song for my wife at our own wedding. People were very moved by it and, now, "our song" has been played at other people's weddings, too. I think that is kind of cool. I am actually going to re-record the song for my next album project. It appeared on an album I did a few years ago, but this album is a collection of songs that were popular over the years when I played a lot of gigs and had songs on the radio.

Awesome! Make it good. The song only lasts a few minutes, but the memory will last a lifetime.

(Scary thought, but hey.) :p

Have fun with it

What I found out after my first couple of sweaty, hand shaky performances is that people LOVE to hear you play, don't know enough to hear the mistakes and are enjoying it all so much that they think you're great to even stand up and have a go.!
Turns out that even when I think I've cocked a song up - no one notices!

i usually shoot weddings from behind the camera! but a while back we had some visitors to our local uke jam. found out later that they saw our announcement on craigslist & came looking for someone to play this lady's wedding. they picked me! i called the wedding coord & met with her & the bride2b. played some songs & talked over the service. they wanted "somewhere over the rainbow," "love me tender," "when you say nothing at all," and "can't help falling in love with you." i practiced like crazy!

from my photo shoots, i'd say the key to doing weddings is BE PREPARED! come with a backup uke, extra copies of the songs (if you're not memorizing them), a music stand (even if they say they'll provide one), clips to hold the music securely (wind if you're outside & a/c blowing or brushed by a passerby if inside), and back up batteries (as needed). go over everything that could possibly go wrong from your end and plan for a backup.

from that one gig alone i've gotten started on saving up for the next uke! i love hobbies that pay for themselves!!

best of luck to you!

:shaka:

Hey Denno and all,

Good news. I didn't back out of my effort at my wedding reception. I felt like I knew the song and I was comfortable. I believe what screwed me up was the band's offer to back me up. THey are musicians and I'm not. I should have gone solo from the start as that is how I practiced. But the good news is also that the band kept going and egging me on so "a song" was finally performed.

No regrets. I'm going to look at the video now. Titanicelele

Awesome brah. What an honor to be a part of someone's lifechanging event such as a wedding. Better yet, the wedding of your good friends. Just be yo sef and it'll flow really smoothly. Although a little bit of liquid courage won't hurt either. Have fun and enjoy.

They are musicians and I'm not.

Horsefeathers!

You have a uke. It is a musical instrument. You have played--and will continue to play--music on that musical instrument.

I hate to break it to you, but... you are a musician! :)

JJ

I wanted to write that if the asked you to do it, then obviously you CAN do it.
But since you already did it... good work dude.
Keep doing that.
I performed with a jazz group on my son's Brit Milah party. I haven't performed for an audience for 15 years prior to that, last time was at high school.
I won't post it here, since it was on guitar - but it was fun.

Top Bottom