Roy Sakuma

Kanaka916

Reaction score
Here's a great article from the Honolulu Star Advertiser about Roy Sakuma and how the 'Ukulele changed his life. Here's some excerpts from the article and can be read in it's entirety here. The article also contains an itinerary of the 40th Ukulele Festival being held this weekend at Kapiolani Park in Honolulu, HI.

Roy Sakuma credits the ukulele with shaping -- and saving -- his life. He was a troubled teen growing up in Makiki when he heard the song "Sushi" by ukulele virtuoso Herb "Ohta-San" Ohta on the radio.

"I loved it!" Sakuma recalled. "It really made me want to learn how to play the ukulele, so I contacted Ohta-San and asked him to teach me. My goal was to become the best ukulele player in the world."

Sakuma is delighted to know there are visitors who return to Hawaii every July specifically to attend Oahu's festival; he recently met a woman from the mainland who'll be attending the event for the 15th consecutive year.

"They love the music, and they love the atmosphere of aloha," he said. "The ukulele brings joy, peace and comfort. Hold it gently in your arms and you'll smile and instantly feel a connection to it. The ukulele also connects people. Come to the festival next Sunday and you'll feel like you're at a gathering of friends from all over the world."

Mahalo for the link Kanaka. Roy is an amazing man and I feel honored to have met him when I lived there. Un fortunately I won't be able to make it back home for the festival this year, but will be there in spirit.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'm really looking forward to attending the festival, and just finished packing, so this article put me into a great Aloha frame of mind!

Top Bottom