PDA

View Full Version : Kanaka Wai Wai

jjsdad
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I haven't seen anyone post this on Youtube yet for ukulele (and singing..), so here's my attempt at Kanaka Wai Wai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbupApID-SI

russ_buss
06-07-2008, 09:09 PM
great job on the video! way to keep it real.:)

Kanaka916
06-07-2008, 09:48 PM
If anyone is interested, the lyrics and the English translation can be found here (http://www.huapala.org/Ia/Iesu_Me_Ke_Kanaka.html). There is also a verse in English and often inserted after the hui or chorus. BTW, it's in the key of F.

F . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F7
Let me walk through Paradise with you Lord
Bb . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F
Take my hand and lead me there
C7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dm
All my earthly treasures I will gladly give to you
G7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . C7
Teach me how to love and how to share
F . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . F7
Greed and lust and vanity were mine Lord
Bb . . . . . . . . . . . . . .A7
Then I found you love divine
Bb . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .F
Now on my knees I pray that I can find the way
G7 . . . . . . . . . C7 . . . . . . .F
Let me walk through Paradise with you (Ia'oe)

RON<>VA
06-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the youtube video and for putting up the chords on youtube. For someone new to ukes, this is extremely helpful to use for practice. Very nice job.
And a big thanks to kanaka916 for the english translation. So very cool. Really good stuff!

Ron

jjsdad
06-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Kanaka916, thanks for posting the link to the English translation and for posting the chords. I was missing the Dm and F7. I need to learn this again with the new chords.

I knew this was a religious song, but I did not know the sad ending. I think I'll stick with singing the Hawaiian. :)

Kanaka916
06-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Listen to the Olomana version if you have it . . . I believe it's on their 2nd album entitled "And So We Are". It's a must have and it's got a number of great songs like

Brother's Got A Problem
Walk Through A Rainbow
Mele O Kaho'olawe

jjsdad
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Once again, thanks kanaka916. I searched around and found it on the internet (they don't have it on iTunes, though). But, they play it in G, so I gotta transpose to play along.