I'm seriously bummed: Spread the Aloha contest win goes to a COPY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirk.li

Reaction score
Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-l
Hi guys,

I'm surprised and shocked to find that the first price in the "Spread the Aloha" contest went to someone who has obviously copied most ideas from another video that just made it to the 3rd rank. It's obvious to me and I don't understand how UU could overlook this fact.

Look what I mean, the winning video was posted on June 24th and the "3rd rank winning video" was posted on June 13th, 11 days earlier.

I think fairness is a big and important part of the UU community. This should not have happened!

Please see for yourself and compare:

3rd winner (vid posted on June 13th):

1st winner: (vid posted on June 24th):

It's true that the 1st place winner's video was posted after the 3rd place winner's video. However, the 1st place winner could have made their video before (without watching the 3rd place winner's vid), and only posted it to youtube later on.

It's still quite suspicious, but there isn't enough proof that they copied. Sure, it similar, but dates don't mean everything.

I'm not against you on this, but their videos are really similar and there could be a misunderstanding.

It's true that the 1st place winner's video was posted after the 3rd place winner's video. However, the 1st place winner could have made their video before (without watching the 3rd place winner's vid), and only posted it to youtube later on.

It's still quite suspicious, but there isn't enough proof that they copied. Sure, it similar, but dates don't mean everything.

I'm not against you on this, but their videos are really similar and there could be a misunderstanding.

I'm making YouTube videos myself... and I ALWAYS upload a video IMMEDIATELY after I've finished editing it. I think everybody does that!
I don't really see a "misunderstanding" here, it's quite obvious to me.

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to close this thread until it's been reviewed. I just want to avoid any drama. Hope you understand, thanks.

Dirk, this is a very serious charge. You are accusing someone of outright plagiarism. Rather than let the thread continue, Melissa made the correct decision to close it. I support this decision.

I will talk to Rayan tomorrow about your issue. Pending our talk, the thread may or may not be re-opened. I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Ok Dirk, its understandable to not agree with the results but,

Why is it impossible for two people to have similar ideas?

Editing these types of videos take a long time and its possible they started working on concurrently and it just so happened that one finished before the other. None of us know any details, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt before you start accusing people. Very uncool.

Let he who has never worn the same shirt as someone to school or an event cast the first stone.

Secondly, we don't choose the winners for the sponsored contests, the contest holder chooses the winner. Kanilea liked that video the best so they gave it the first place. Regardless of what any of us think, they are giving away a uke worth close to $2k so they can give it to whoever they want to give it to. Let's all just remember that they didn't have to give away anything, yet they not only created a special one of a kind ukulele, they also paid for the 2nd and 3rd prize as well.

These contests are supposed to be for fun, lets all remember that.

Last edited:
I saw similarities but they where still very different and in my opinion one was not a copy of the other, They were both unique in their own way, original and enjoyable. Personally enjoyed AustinLove1's video more but I'm not a judge. I think Joe Souza made the choice that was correct to him, and I give him kudos for that and for putting on such a great contest, Mahalo Joe! ;)

I think the most important thing here is that suspicions, accusations, or comments that may be taken as such should never be posted publicly - issues like that should be addressed to the authorities involved. The awards in contests like these are totally subjective - they rely on the taste of those awarding the prize, and as such whether a copy or not, whatever they like best, it's their right to make the award.

I think the most important thing here is that suspicions, accusations, or comments that may be taken as such should never be posted publicly - issues like that should be addressed to the authorities involved. The awards in contests like these are totally subjective - they rely on the taste of those awarding the prize, and as such whether a copy or not, whatever they like best, it's their right to make the award.

bobby curtis always is rational. ;)

also, does anyone still think your name is bobby curtis?

I don't see the copying...

One has one word written, presumably by the artist, literally "Spreading the Aloha", the other has the lyrics of the chorus, written by participants, a la the Dylan video, which, if it "copies" anything, it would be that. I personally think it was an homage, rather than a rip-off.

Having said that, even if it WAS a direct copy, is hopping on the forums and causing a whole load of drama REALLY the best choice of solutions?
This place is wonderful. Full of love and incredibly special people. This sort of negativity is jarringly out of place.

There are other, better ways to express your outrage, even if that outrage is, quite frankly, unwarranted.

also, does anyone still think your name is bobby curtis?

I have so many nicknames now - Let's see...there's the original Baby Carrots, then the Bobby Curtis. Then during a town hall that you were doing once I misspelled it as Boboy, and that stuck for some (Phanzo, RevWill). Then there's Booby Curtis...the mind reels...

I learned long ago that if you look hard enough, most things have been done before by somebody else. The truly original ideas are usually so unfamiliar and strange, that most people hate them at first (Impressionism), and it takes a long time to make it accessible to the masses. That said, how many times can we see the same idea? Well, it is all in the execution isn't it? How many times have we seen basically the same story over and over again (boy meets girl, they don't get along, they fall in love anyway, they break up, they reconcile)? It doesn't mean we stop making love stories with that theme. The Art of it is in the details. That is also why people do covers of songs. There is no point in recreating the original performance, except to enjoy the experience of producing it. It is the personal imprint that the individual places on it that makes it worth doing. All creativity is built and rearranged on what we have seen before. It cannot happen in vacuum.

I really like the winning entry. It really expressed a nice sense of friendly strangers coming together to help make a video.
–Lori

First of all I'd like to apologize to all of my fellow UU brothers and sisters. I should have been more careful about the way I presented the issue. I'd really like to apologize for that. Being angry and using strong language ("I'm seriously bummed") doesn't really help anyone and are not a good vibe for a peaceful discussion. Seeso's advice "sleep on it" is much appreciated!

I think it's cool that the thread has been re-opened. I wasn't expecting this. I have e-mailed with Melbees and Tina in the meantime and got some support by PM from other UU members (some of them people I didn't know) who also regretted that the thread had been closed or who saw things my way.
I think I've made my point by addressing the issue and letting people see the similarities of both vids (the basic principle and the idea behind both videos are the same - the implementation differs but that is not the point). It's easy to see what's the basic principle behind both videos, just take away the signs and see what's left.
Taking a good idea from someone else and presenting it in a slightly different way is still not very original in my mind and doesn't deserve to win a 1st price in no contest. Melbees told me that she had already started working on her vid when she saw Tina putting up hers. I guess we just have to believe her and leave it at that.

Of course it lies in the hands of the jurors to decide who wins. It's their contest. I just wasn't happy with the decision and wanted to address the issue. That's all.

Thank you for the support, everyone-- it means so much to me.

What came down to an issue of filming and timing led to a big mess, and I completely understand how many of you could have had questions as to the originality of my video. I truly appreciate those who gave me the benefit of the doubt and understood that it was in no way my intention to produce an entry similar to anyone else's. And I like what Lori said:

All creativity is built and rearranged on what we have seen before. It cannot happen in vacuum.

The signs were a great idea that we both utilized independently, though unfortunately in the same contest. Through all this, austin1 has been completely kind and understanding of the circumstances, and I sincerely admire her faith, patience, and incredible tolerance through the whole situation.

UU truly is a remarkable and wonderful community. Thanks for understanding, guys-- let's get back to making some music! :)

First of all I'd like to apologize to all of my fellow UU brothers and sisters. I should have been more careful about the way I presented the issue. I'd really like to apologize for that.

thanks for that.... i couldn't care less about the issie i just hate drama can we just hug and play uke now

Secondly, we don't choose the winners for the sponsored contests, the contest holder chooses the winner. Kanilea liked that video the best so they gave it the first place. Regardless of what any of us think, they are giving away a uke worth close to $2k so they can give it to whoever they want to give it to.

Had Dirk known the UU staff was not involved in deciding the winner, I am sure he would have not posted this on the UU forums. The fact 'Ukulele Underground' was engraved on the front likely lead him to believe that the jury was not limited to the Kanile'a family.

If he knew that the Kanile'a were the ONLY ones involved in deciding, he would have automatically known that they ONLY saw the videos and likely did not browse the contest thread.

He would have then emailed Kanile'a and expressed his distaste in the decision.
He would have also informed Kanile'a that Melbees signed up for youtube one day after Tina posted her video and then singed up for Ukulele Underground two weeks after the contest started.

I mean no offence to Melbees in this post
I'm just trying to say Dirk is not a bad guy. Knowing English is his second language, he could have worded it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom