looking for a certain style of uke

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
like jake's uke. 4 string, but with classical style headstock and tuners. but i also need electronics to go with it.

so far the closest thing i can find outside the realm and price range of kamakas, is the lanikai 6 string. i play mostly rhythm anyway so im not scared of the two extra strings. but optimally, i would like a 4 string tenor fitting into a budget of about $400. is there such a beast? or am i stuck with looking for a custom builder or just getting the lanikai?

thanks for any suggestions.

Are you looking to pick up this new uke before Christmas or sometime next year? We're planning on doing ukulele reviews on the new site once it's up so that may help you with your decision. There are actually A LOT of ukes that may fit your price range and are still quality instruments.

im in no rush. i wasnt actually planning on picking up this particular uke until next year anyway. so im looking forward to those reviews. but im pretty dead set on the three aspects, which should narrow my choices down pretty well. tenor size, pickup, and classical headstock. preferably 4string but i may be able to live with a 6 string. and a cutaway would be a nice extra. my budget is a factor as well, but we all know that sometimes you just gotta shell it out for that particular one that fits you best.

out of curiosity, will the reviews be done by people who are known to have had or currently have several ukuleles of different brand, model, quality, etc? or will they be reviews written by members on the particular ukulele(s) that they own?

im in no rush. i wasnt actually planning on picking up this particular uke until next year anyway. so im looking forward to those reviews. but im pretty dead set on the three aspects, which should narrow my choices down pretty well. tenor size, pickup, and classical headstock. preferably 4string but i may be able to live with a 6 string. and a cutaway would be a nice extra. my budget is a factor as well, but we all know that sometimes you just gotta shell it out for that particular one that fits you best.

out of curiosity, will the reviews be done by people who are known to have had or currently have several ukuleles of different brand, model, quality, etc? or will they be reviews written by members on the particular ukulele(s) that they own?

We're probably going to have someone (Aldrine) do the reviews. There are a lot of things to look for when choosing an ukulele so we're looking forward to sharing this info with everyone!

If members have experiences to share with their ukes, they can feel free to let us know and we can figure something out.

thats actually what i was hoping for! i just didnt wanna say it haha. thanks. cant wait to read some of the reviews.

thats actually what i was hoping for! i just didnt wanna say it haha. thanks. cant wait to read some of the reviews.

Try a Kanile'a Ukulele super tenor...absolutely beautiful and the sound is absolutely amazing!!! i was set on a Kamaka but now that i have heard and tried out the Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele im kind of changing my wishes.

its a little expensive though, i think maybe around 800-1000, but i think its totally worth it.

sorry i guess i was no help in the 400 catagory??? =(

but i just wanted to let you know about that option!

The guy from Kanilea is a really cool guy. He was the one guy who really spent time with Aldrine and Aaron explaining his ukulele. You could see he was really proud of what his company puts out.

Try a Kanile'a Ukulele super tenor...absolutely beautiful and the sound is absolutely amazing!!! i was set on a Kamaka but now that i have heard and tried out the Kanile'a Super Tenor Ukulele im kind of changing my wishes.

its a little expensive though, i think maybe around 800-1000, but i think its totally worth it.

sorry i guess i was no help in the 400 catagory??? =(

but i just wanted to let you know about that option!

Oh God... I wanted one of those... hahah

Attachments

• 1223.jpg
    1223.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1224.jpg
    1224.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh God... I wanted one of those... hahah

man im debating hard on what to get. i really want a kamaka but the sound and the feel of the Kanile'a is absolutely wonderful...

Attachments

• welshflag.jpg
    welshflag.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • swans.jpg
    swans.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 05102011033.jpg
    05102011033.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 05102011032.jpg
    05102011032.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 05102011031.jpg
    05102011031.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
  • 05102011030.jpg
    05102011030.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 30082011025.jpg
    30082011025.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 30082011026.jpg
    30082011026.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 30082011024.jpg
    30082011024.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1
  • 22082011011.jpg
    22082011011.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 08072011052.jpg
    08072011052.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 08072011050.jpg
    08072011050.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 06072011049.jpg
    06072011049.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 14072011055.jpg
    14072011055.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 14072011054.jpg
    14072011054.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2
well i was cruisin through musiciansfriend.com and noticed that theyre having a little sale. $10 off your purchase of $100-300 so i decided why not? i ordered the lanikai O-6 spruce tenor.
270779.jpg

basically for $159 to my door, i figured why not? im still open to a better quality one next year so im still looking forward to the reviews to come.

as far as the electronics that i wanted, i just finished ripping an old broken pickup from a cheaper guitar that i own (its a chinese knockoff of an ovation), repairing it, and successfully installing it into my hilo baritone. so if i really want to in the future, i would have no problem installing a pickup into this new uke.

as far as either a kamaka or kanile'a, i would love to own one or both, but as careful as i am with my gear, im a clutz. i bang stuff into walls all the time and spend the next few minutes cussing like a sailor. so i just could not justify a purchase of much over $400. maybe $600 max.

Last edited:
sweet let me know how that one sounds. i am looking for a cheap one right now to hold me over for a few months till i get a kamaka or a Kanile'a. Right now i am still on the mainland in southern california, and there is this store that called Island Legends in Gardena, and they have all the kamaka models as well as Kanile'a's and Lanikai's. so if it is good maybe ill go pick one up. i dont know about the 6 string though. =( im not good at the 4 string....soooo maybe i should stick with that.

man im debating hard on what to get. i really want a kamaka but the sound and the feel of the Kanile'a is absolutely wonderful...
Howzit.
I have a costome curly Koa Kamaka, and I have a Kanilea also. My friend Joe and Kristen Souza owns Kanilea ukulele's So I had have played many different styles. and in my opinion, Kanilea's are just as good as Kamaka's.
Mahalo,
Bruddah Brandon

Howzit.
I have a costome curly Koa Kamaka, and I have a Kanilea also. My friend Joe and Kristen Souza owns Kanilea ukulele's So I got a chance to played many different styles. and in my opinion, Kanilea's are just as good as Kamaka's.
Mahalo,
Bruddah Brandon

Howzit.
I have a costome curly Koa Kamaka, and I have a Kanilea also. My friend Joe and Kristen Souza owns Kanilea ukulele's So I got a chance to played many different styles. and in my opinion, Kanilea's are just as good as Kamaka's.
Mahalo,
Bruddah Brandon

oh howzit bruddah. thanks for the insight. i really want a kanilea really bad, the question is, is it going to be cheaper to get it on tha mainland, or Oahu? Right now i am on the mainland for another month, should i just wait, i really would love to meet the owners, and see their store or factory to see how it is made.

man i went back to island legends again in the south bay and i played the Kanile'a again, the more and more i play it the more and more i want it.

Attachments

• 2011.jpg
    2011.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 303
donno if you going find one uke with one slotted head 4 dat price but if you can find some up and coming makers dey might do it 4 dat price or less.

Top Bottom