Billie Jean done bt James Hill

There's a live version on YouTube too - It's been the source of arguments, though, with me thinking he can do it and certain others thinking it's impossible. Glad you've vindicated me. Trying to learn it, but just don't have the time (or skills yet).

Nice one.

A comment from James on this video to another uker (forwarded to me):

So, I've been working off-and-on for years on my cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean." It's been something of a pet project that I turn to every once in a while. Last year at the Wine Country Ukefest I cracked the "how to play the beat, bassline and chords" part of the puzzle but I couldn't manage the vocal at the same time.

Well, nearly a year has passed and I've finally worked up a version of the tune WITH vocal. The debut performance of this new version was filmed live at the 2010 Dusty Strings Ukefest in Seattle, WA. Hope you enjoy

There's a live version on YouTube too - It's been the source of arguments, though, with me thinking he can do it and certain others thinking it's impossible. Glad you've vindicated me. Trying to learn it, but just don't have the time (or skills yet).

Nice one.

So wait - this is with no drum machine and no looper - just live playing? If so, that is absolutely amazing - and the version with the woman singing is much better!

Yep - it's real. He alters the beat. He does the beat by alternating a strum right next to the saddle and then he flicks the edge of the fingerboard to get the click.

It's possible and I can do the bassline and beat at the same time, but not at speed yet. I can also do the bassline and chords at the same time.

But putting all three together (and thinking of it in the first place)? That man is some clever so and so.

That was sooo cooool!

James is just plain brilliant. If you like this one you should check out some of his videos on youtube like "One Note Samba" and "Flight of the Bumblebee".....yes....Flight of the Bumblebee on ukulele!

James IS just plain brilliant.
Managed to get several vids of his performances at the recent Cairns UkeFest in Norhtern Australia.
I travelled from Sydney so I could be in the same room as James - and was - 3 whole amazing brilliant inspiring workshops.
And then THE Concert.
Utterly incredible. James is the The Maestro - for me :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJR9E4QcQg

Top Bottom