Music Editing Software

Reaction score
I've been playing the uke for a little over a month now and have discovered that one of my favorite things to do is to arrange modern songs for the uke and piano. I eventually record these songs using the free trial of Acoustica Mixcraft 4. However, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some software that they have either used or heard good things about. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Edit: This software needs to run on Windows.

Last edited:
Audacity.

Garageband.

JJ

Thanks for the responses, I'll deffinately check out audacity, but this software needs to run on windows and I'm pretty sure that GarageBand can't do that. Sorry I didn't specify.

I use Audacity too.
It's free, works reasonably well.

Just when you're recording multiple tracks, keep in mind that each new track will lag behind the previous track.
So you need to adjust it by snipping off some of the lag to synchronise.

ProTools LE. Everything you'll ever need. The standard.

Best Free (Freeware) Audio Editing Software from Gizmo's Freeware Review
Audacity

Kristal Audio Engine - a powerful multi-track recorder, audio sequencer and mixer - ideal for anyone who wants to get started with recording, mixing and mastering digital audio. According to their website, "It is designed as a modular system. The main application provides a mixing console, while the audio sequencer, live audio input and so on are loaded as separate Plug-Ins." It supports an ASIO audio driver, which may be appealing to those who are concerned with latency during multi-track recording. It's based on a 32-bit floating-point audio engine that can handle sample rates of 44 to 192 kHz with word sizes of 16, 24 or 32 bits. It comes with a three-band parametric EQ and supports WAVE, AIFF, FLAC, and OGG Vorbis file formats. It can only handle a maximum of 16 audio tracks, though the web site mentions an upcoming version 2 that will handle more tracks and provide support for MIDI, virtual instruments, and a wider range of VST plugins. Like all media-editing programs, Kristal requires a modern fast PC. Don't even think about using it with a sub-1Ghz machine.

Wavosaur - filesize of 491K and is the only product in this review that requires no installation, which makes it extremely portable. What surprised me about it was that, for such a small program, Wavosaur packs a lot of advanced features, including resample, bit-depth convert (8,16,24,32 bits), pitch shift, vocal removal, DC offset removal, auto-trim, silence remover, interpolate, auto detect region, crossfade loop, and export of multiple .wav files from regions. It also supports ASIO drivers and VST plug-ins, has many analysis tools and is skinnable.

Thanks for the responses, I'll deffinately check out audacity, but this software needs to run on windows and I'm pretty sure that GarageBand can't do that. Sorry I didn't specify.

I read Mixcraft 5 is the PC equivalent of GarageBand. For some reason Audacity kept shutting down due to error on my computer. For that reason I purchased a hardcopy of Mixcraft 5 off of Amazon for around $67. I have only used Audacity and I am a newbie so I can't say much more than that, but Mixcraft 5 seems to work well. I have heard that more "professional" software is difficult to learn. I am definitely a newbie, but I feel like I could play around on Mixcraft 5 and actually have fun rather than getting frustrated learning to use it.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/computers-software/digital-audio-workstations-daws/mixcraft-5-245809/review
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/index.htm

What nobody's mentioned Adobe Audition??? one of the most advanced multi-track audio editors on the scene!!! although it does cost a pretty penny =D but you can get loads of student deal websites on it.

Top Bottom