advice needed please

jamie501

Reaction score
hi im new here, so thought id say hello and get some advice.

Ive been playing guitar for quite a few years now and also teach guitar in schools.
I bought a cheap £20 ukulele a few months ago, because i wanted to use it on a song that i was recording.
It was ok to record the small part I needed it for but to be honest its really crap and doesent stay in tune.

so im looking for a new ukulele.

my budget is £100- £160

im undecided on a concert or soprano
also im undecided on wethere to go for a electro acoustic. but I know if i buy a electro acoustic ill be getting less uke for my money (e.g a £160 electro acoustic uke would be like a £120 acoustic uke)

any advice would be much appreciated

cheers jamie

I bought a Makala MK-C (concert, but other sizes are available in the Makala series as well) about a month and a half ago for £40 ($50). It's a Kala budget uke and one of the best ukes you can get for your money. At first I thought the quality might be too cheap, but I went to a music store, actually intending to get a more expensive uke. I tried the Makala MK-C out, because that was the one the store clerk recommended. At first I did not know it was the Makala MK-C, but I liked it, especially its sound. So since it was cheap, sounded good and the clerk recommended it, I bought it. A month and a half later, I still play it every day and it stays in tune for a a little less than a week. As for the concert and soprano matter, I prefer concerts because fretboard is bigger, making it easier to play especially if you have bigger fingers.

Not to hijack the thread, but I played guitar for several years and like friction tuners better on a soprano and concert. I don't have a tenor, but have played one, and I'd be OK with geared tuners there. But for me, I much prefer friction tuners on the soprano & concert because I think they look better, and the weight balance is better. Geared tuners make the smaller ukes too headstock-heavy IMO.

Jason

thanks for the advice guys

any advice on which ukes to look for in my price range

cheers jamie

as your using sterling, im assuming your in the UK, so if you're in the south east, allegro music in chelmsford has a very good range, and are used to setting up ukes because as well as me there is a uke collector who gets various bits from them.

For totally hassle free uke-ing, great volume and sound, look at getting a Flea. I'm a guitarist and the Flea was my first "proper" uke beyond £20 cheapies. Whilst I've bought plenty other ukes since - I love my flea to bits.

Can highly recommend Southern Uke store too

Top Bottom