PDA

View Full Version : advice needed please

jamie501
07-14-2010, 02:23 AM
hi im new here, so thought id say hello and get some advice.

Ive been playing guitar for quite a few years now and also teach guitar in schools.
I bought a cheap 20 ukulele a few months ago, because i wanted to use it on a song that i was recording.
It was ok to record the small part I needed it for but to be honest its really crap and doesent stay in tune.

so im looking for a new ukulele.

my budget is 100- 160

im undecided on a concert or soprano
also im undecided on wethere to go for a electro acoustic. but I know if i buy a electro acoustic ill be getting less uke for my money (e.g a 160 electro acoustic uke would be like a 120 acoustic uke)

any advice would be much appreciated

cheers jamie

07-14-2010, 02:34 AM
I bought a Makala MK-C (concert, but other sizes are available in the Makala series as well) about a month and a half ago for 40 ($50). It's a Kala budget uke and one of the best ukes you can get for your money. At first I thought the quality might be too cheap, but I went to a music store, actually intending to get a more expensive uke. I tried the Makala MK-C out, because that was the one the store clerk recommended. At first I did not know it was the Makala MK-C, but I liked it, especially its sound. So since it was cheap, sounded good and the clerk recommended it, I bought it. A month and a half later, I still play it every day and it stays in tune for a a little less than a week. As for the concert and soprano matter, I prefer concerts because fretboard is bigger, making it easier to play especially if you have bigger fingers.

kissing
07-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Seeing that you're using pounds, I imagine the Southern Ukulele Store would be a good place to buy:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Southern-Ukulele-Store

I suppose you can select the category that fits your price range from their page :)

Just avoid the ukes with Friction tuners - they can drive guitar players nuts :)

Parlor Picker
07-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Just avoid the ukes with Friction tuners - they can drive guitar players nuts :)

I'll second that! Look for geared tuners.

Jason Paul
07-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I played guitar for several years and like friction tuners better on a soprano and concert. I don't have a tenor, but have played one, and I'd be OK with geared tuners there. But for me, I much prefer friction tuners on the soprano & concert because I think they look better, and the weight balance is better. Geared tuners make the smaller ukes too headstock-heavy IMO.

Jason

jamie501
07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
thanks for the advice guys

any advice on which ukes to look for in my price range

cheers jamie

jamie501
07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
ive been looking at these
im just thinking this tanglewood one looks a bit too cheap anyone got on and have any reviews on it ?

http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3262&ref=1

or this one; more expensive and without hardcase ect

http://www.imuso.co.uk/Acoustic-Guitars/Other-Instruments/Ukuleles/18009-/Laka-VUC90EA-Concert-Electro-Acoustic-Ukulele-Koa?utm_source=googleproduct

dans003
08-02-2010, 10:03 PM
as your using sterling, im assuming your in the UK, so if you're in the south east, allegro music in chelmsford has a very good range, and are used to setting up ukes because as well as me there is a uke collector who gets various bits from them.

bazmaz
08-02-2010, 10:19 PM
For totally hassle free uke-ing, great volume and sound, look at getting a Flea. I'm a guitarist and the Flea was my first "proper" uke beyond 20 cheapies. Whilst I've bought plenty other ukes since - I love my flea to bits.

Can highly recommend Southern Uke store too